Skip to main content

By request of the big guy here's a thread on HS Ball.

Starting out -- my kid's team was undefeated in league last season but went down too early in the section.  They lost some key seniors but there are plenty of talented youngsters who look ready to step up. I hope so, as they'll be playing some very highly ranked teams before league. My own boy was lightly used on Varsity as a Freshman last season but I'm hopeful that during the summer and fall he's proven his value and will compete for at least a 50% starting role this spring.

First practice 2/9, first scrimmage 2/16 first real game 2/24.

Last edited by JCG
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by James G:

South burbs of Chicago....tryouts begin 3/2 and first game 3/21....wait is too long!

which burb?  South and southwest are my old stomping grounds.  In wisconsin now one of the few schools stubbornly hanging on to summer baseball.  First practice/tryout may 15 first game may 23.

Yea, here in GA our tryouts begin on Monday.  Our first scrimmage is mid February and then first game is beginning of March.  Like RedFish, my son is a senior and I plan to soak in every single moment.  I really hope we make a deep run into the playoffs to prolong the season as much as possible.  I just cannot believe the time has flown by.  I would encourage all the parents of younger sons to enjoy the ride.  I know that is said often and is easier said than done a lot of times, but I promise you when you are at the stage I am, you will look back and realize that so much of what you worried so much about was really so unimportant.  Yes I realize I am one of the fortunate ones that my son will continue his baseball career.  Trust me, I thank God every single day.  I just feel as if the next step will be different, mostly because he will not be in the house and I will desperately miss the conversations and even the arguments.  Anyway, I am going to cherish the next 4 months or so.

Here in Florida we have our 1st scrimmage Saturday the 17th, 1st preseason game is the 6th and 7th of Feb. and 1st official game is the 12th of Feb. Our son is also a senior, looking forward to this year. It's been a fun ride and have many memories. Fortunate to be able to see him play at the next level. Good luck to everyone.

Here in Ohio...first practice Feb 25th....first game March 31st.  Tryouts??? Ha...that's a good one.  We'll be lucky to have 30 kids in grades 9-12 go out for baseball this spring.  At this point, there are 2 starting varsity spots in the outfield open.  My son will be our #1 pitcher...and starting SS.  He's also our backup catcher when our starting catcher is pitching....lol.  His team won their first outright league championship in 40 years last spring.  This spring....uh, not so much....lol.  He'll have fun...but is really looking forward to heading off to college and the challenges he'll meet playing baseball there. 

Optional winter hitting practice started last week.  Son is a freshman that is among the 40+ freshmen trying out this year.  I think there are seven trying out for catcher.  Tryouts will be the last week of February and results posted on the 28th.  The coach posts a list on the wall in the school's athletic hall.  The next day is the baseball team BBQ.  I do not relish being one of the freshmen that has to face the disappointment of not seeing their name on the list.

In NH - tryouts in March after basketball season ends (for some after 3/14 and others after 3/21)... Some teams have started weekly indoor, offseason, not required (hah), training run by the coach, but not all...

Assuming snow is off your field, season starts in early April (16-20 games - 3 per week) and concludes by end of May.  Playoffs start 6/2 finish by 6/13 (4 divisions, 16 teams make playoffs)...

1st scrimmage 2nd week of February.  Practice won't start until 1st week of February.

We lost 5 seniors on Varsity to graduation whose talent won't be able to be replaced.  

There are no formal tryouts for our high school Varsity or JV.  

Varsity coach already knows who he will be putting on varsity. Maybe one or two on JV that is brought up for a few games. 

My son last year as a freshman was asked by the coach what size uniform he needed for varsity.  lol

Probably carry 13 on Varsity and 18 on JV. 

Time to start warming up my Stalker radar gun.  

Tryouts and practices start next week.  First preseason game is the week after.

The program is in transition this year. Completely new coaching staff.  Graduated 6 seniors who were all big contributors to a team that made it out of districts for the first time in a decade.  Lost our projected #1 pitcher this year to a local private.

My 2017 isn't sure what will happen with him this season.  His plan in the fall had been to get back into pitching form after missing the spring due to injury.  Somehow despite a complete lack of swinging a bat for a year - he started crushing the ball, and went from a PO to a catcher/DH/pitcher .

He would actually like to start the season on JV because there is a logjam of upper class pitchers, and he would be fighting to get innings.  If he stays down, he's going to start once a week on the mound and probably DH every game. Ultimately it's up to the coaches though.

Here in IL...

First organizational meeting was Tuesday.  Open Gym for those athletes not in an active season starts Monday.  Those in an active school sponsored season are barred from attending open Gym to eliminate the risk of injury.

First Practice / Tryouts 3/2. Usually run the first week.

First contest is schedule for 3/16 but the first game on the schedule is on 3/25.  This is usually the way they publish our schedule as its all dependent on the weather.  If the weather is good enough they will search around and find a couple of out of conference games or scrimmages to fill in from 3/16 to 3/25.

It'll be an interesting season.  The Soph players moving to Varsity are pretty good, the frosh moving to up to Soph won the summer league state championship.  Combined those two classes should give us our strongest class since we last won the state championship 4 years ago.  We have a history of not moving kids up, but based on the talent and where it lies I can see the coaches pushing a couple of kids up to get them a good core for a state run in the next couple of years.

Last edited by joes87

I just checked our schools site, they don't even have the season schedule up yet..par for the course!  Some teams in our area got to start practice last week to participate in a tourny set up for the Umpires to tune up.  I get to sneak out and take a look at some of the teams in our district and see how their turnouts were.

Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

1st scrimmage 2nd week of February.  Practice won't start until 1st week of February.

We lost 5 seniors on Varsity to graduation whose talent won't be able to be replaced.  

Varsity coach already knows who he will be putting on varsity. Maybe one or two on JV that is brought up for a few games. 

My son last year as a freshman was asked by the coach what size uniform he needed for varsity.  lol

What a coincidence.  We had another user from Texas who also brought a Stalker radar gun to HS baseball games.  Can't be too many of those!  

Orange County CA - first wave of tryouts in a multi week Freshmen summer camp in June prior to Frosh year with a handful of Freshmen being invited into the 6th period Baseball PE class once school started & getting a chance to practice / play with the JV & Varsity players first semester. Then formal "open" tryouts followed in November with 50+ kids trying out for 20 spots.

In reading this thread you really see how much this weather allows for Cal kids to get in so much more time than in other regions. We played a ten game fall JV schedule from Oct-Dec (with Frosh & Soph players), then the full Frosh team started playing together the week after Thanksgiving. Now in a ten game pre-season scrimmage schedule that started last week and includes a doubleheader tomorrow. "Actual" baseball season starts late February, but we will have had 20+ scrimmage games in by that time. 

Originally Posted by lefthookdad:

That would be nice.  FL rules prohibit such activity, unless it is hidden under the guise of a "travel club"

That's how our school did it.  Instead of JV and V you had 16U and 18U.

Instead of the teams being "school" affiliated, they have to be independent.  Ours ran through the local optimist program.  Of course the optimist club has the same mascot and colors as the school so it's not like you could actually tell the difference.

Originally Posted by lefthookdad:

That would be nice.  FL rules prohibit such activity, unless it is hidden under the guise of a "travel club"

Same thing here in CA, only difference between the high school teams and the "travel" team was that we couldn't put our school logo on the jersey. Otherwise the same as the "real teams" that are starting up in February. 

Originally Posted by right arm of zeus:

Like FoxDad said before about Va 2/23 first day for us, but for you others what do you do without the basketball players?  when does the coach finalize his teams?

If they have played HS baseball in the past, they will show up after basketball season is over with....normally early February for our HS. We normally don't make it far in the playoffs, if at all.

For freshman basketball players that have never played baseball, I believe that they come to tryouts but nothing else until their basketball is over with.

At most, I imagine that we will have 3 basketball players spread over 3 teams. Maybe one of those will be on varsity but won't be a starter.

Last edited by RedFishFool
Originally Posted by JCG:
Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

What a coincidence.  We had another user from Texas who also brought a Stalker radar gun to HS baseball games.  Can't be too many of those!  

I just have one of those "Old JUGS Pros". The ones that show 1-2 MPH faster. I've never been allowed to bring to a game in the last 3 years. I doubt that this year will be any different. I hope to just "piggyback" on someone else's behind home plate...that is, if my wife will allow me to get out of the stands. 

Last edited by RedFishFool
Originally Posted by RedFishFool:
Originally Posted by right arm of zeus:

Like FoxDad said before about Va 2/23 first day for us, but for you others what do you do without the basketball players?  when does the coach finalize his teams?

If they have played HS baseball in the past, they will show up after basketball season is over with....normally early February for our HS. We normally don't make it far in the playoffs, if at all.

For freshman basketball players that have never played baseball, I believe that they come to tryouts but nothing else until their basketball is over with.

Same here.  If they played baseball before they will normally "hold" the final decisions on the last team slot(s) until after they come to a couple of practices. In other words they hold their position for them.  

We don't have any type of playoff for the frosh basketball programs here in IL so they have no problem getting to tryouts.  They do miss open gym but thats not held against them.

Golden Sombrero, etc:

All of you in GA, FL, CA, AZ are very lucky.

In the Northeast, we shiver in late March & April when they go outside to play even in snow flurries.

Gets dark at 4:30 for those games, most every HS has no lights...a pitchers delight.

Moms, dads, grand-parents, we keep the North Face & Under Armour in business..

Our Georgia & Tenn friends consider 50 degrees too cold for baseball, LOL,

That would be heaven-sent weather for us in March and early April.

In Illinois

Excited for Everyday 2018 kid's freshman season.

Very few ever make varsity. School of 2000.

Just looking forward for him to make the freshman team.

Everyday 2016 1st year on Varsity.Has a major opportunity to start at SS

Strong senior class with solid juniors upcoming to supplement.

Football team went to 7A championship game

High expectations for the baseball team as well.

Son's team loses about 95% of district innings and 80% of district plate appearances. Made a really deep run last year in playoffs.  This year I think is one where if they can squeak into the playoffs most of the boys will be thrilled.

District going to two game series will be a big plus for the team.  During the tournament portion at beginning of the season they can hopefully find some pitching and they will have a chance.

Southeast Colorado. Practice starts 2/15. First game 3/9. Here, you could have nice weather or you could lose games to snow all the way into May. The high school lost in the semi-finals of state last year and return all but two players and eight starters including all pitching. We have two stud senior pitchers who carry the load. However, with new pitch count rules going into effect here, most likely my son will be needed on varsity to take the #3 pitching role. I've been mixed on what I'd like to see. On varsity he'd be unlikely to see much time at all in the field or at bat, but would get the benefit of sitting behind two all-state pitchers for a year and getting light use and varsity experience in a climate where he won't have a lot of expectations placed on him.

Not sure what day tryouts are, but I am sure it'll be around the 23rd of Feb.  First game is March 12th, where Ryno will begin his Senior Season.  Hard to believe!  The team has 6 stud seniors that have played on Varsity since Soph. year.  They should be the favorites to win state, so it'll be a fun year.  Ryno should get the start in game one against a pitcher that is a WSU signee.  Should be a great one.

Originally Posted by GoldenSombrero:

Orange County CA - first wave of tryouts in a multi week Freshmen summer camp in June prior to Frosh year with a handful of Freshmen being invited into the 6th period Baseball PE class once school started & getting a chance to practice / play with the JV & Varsity players first semester. Then formal "open" tryouts followed in November with 50+ kids trying out for 20 spots.

In reading this thread you really see how much this weather allows for Cal kids to get in so much more time than in other regions. We played a ten game fall JV schedule from Oct-Dec (with Frosh & Soph players), then the full Frosh team started playing together the week after Thanksgiving. Now in a ten game pre-season scrimmage schedule that started last week and includes a doubleheader tomorrow. "Actual" baseball season starts late February, but we will have had 20+ scrimmage games in by that time. 

What section are you in? We're only allowed 2 scrimmages between the start of practice and the start of the season.

Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

I just have one of those "Old JUGS Pros". The ones that show 1-2 MPH faster. I've never been allowed to bring to a game in the last 3 years. I doubt that this year will be any different. I hope to just "piggyback" on someone else's behind home plate...that is, if my wife will allow me to get out of the stands. 

I set my radar gun to "Dad" velocity so that it always reads 5-7 mph faster than reality.  

I don't understand why can't you bring your radar gun to a game?  

You just going to have to gird your loins and go where you please during the game. 

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:
Originally Posted by GoldenSombrero:

What section are you in? We're only allowed 2 scrimmages between the start of practice and the start of the season.

Same here in VA by VHSL rule.  No more than two scrimmages prior to the season opener.  Regular season is 20 game max not including playoffs.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.