Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Shepster,

I'm not proclaiming to be a qualified expert on the subject, but I have seen tons of pitchers all over the West coast, in games and camps, etc., and have perused thousands of PG's profiles..mostly to see where my son stacks up. 78 seems about right. It might be lower than that, but I doubt seriously it's any higher.

Check out Baseball America's website. There's an article on the Area Code games from last year.. how even the elite pitchers barely scraped by the low 80's. One thing's for sure, there's a lot of parents and kids who way-overestimate their son's speed.

My own friend estimated his son at 85 and we did a tournament in Las Vegas and he was clocked on the Stalker at 75. (But I already knew he was full of it anyway, that's why he's my friend!)
Shepster,

Geography certain plays a part. Warm-weather states where kids are able to long-toss regularly obviously have a huge advantage. I'm up in Washington State on the sunny east side (even though my tag says "Virgin Islands") where winters are pretty mild so we're about average. Lots of good pitching around here.. how about your neck of the woods?
We have one kid on our team regularly clocked at 89, has peaked at 92. A second kid (who unfortunately recently transferred out) regularly at 84, peaked at 87. Next four pitchers all regularly 80-81, peak at 84. Another at 78, peaks at 80. Guys who throw sub-80 are on the JV squad. Probably our top JV pitcher is a freshman lefty going at 76-78 with good movement and a solid breaking pitch.

Our leading competition in the 7-team district has a kid who was clocked up to 88, and that was a year ago. I look for him to hit 90 this year, though his typical speed is probably still mid-80's. A third team has a kid who throws 84-85, peaks at 88, with a nasty curve to go with it. A fourth team has a lefty clocked as high as 90 but more typically 86.

Not far from us, Godwin High and Hermitage High squared off last year with two kids throwing 90-plus, both drafted last June. Godwin has a senior this year in the Perfect Game/Baseball America top 100 and I think he tops 90, too; he's heading to Clemson next year. These are just the ones I know about personally; I am sure there are more in the area.

All of these are on JUGS guns, several different guns at several different games, indoor training facilities, showcase camps and tourneys. Doubt it if you want, but pro scouts, college coaches, Perfect Game scouts, Junior Olympics scouts and others can't all be wrong.

In our area, a kid relying on a 78 mph fastball had better have some pretty tough other stuff, Maddux-like control, and a good defensive team behind him. 78 may have been "average" back in my day, but not today.

With all due respect, if you think 78 is the average and you think anyone claiming to be in the 80's is just bragging, you are wrong. These kids are not like we were 25-30 years ago. They don't play football in the fall and basketball in the winter. They play baseball year round and they get darned good instruction as well as baseball-specific conditioning and weight training.

'Round these parts, 78 is well below average for the guys who actually get to pitch on a varsity level, and I would expect to see a 78 mph fastball tatooed pretty regularly.
I have seen several HS pitchers in the High 80s low 90s.
Son faced a tall LHP playing for Moon Township Tigers in PA 3 years ago. He was drafted by the Pirates out of HS and was clocked at 92.
Another guy also a LHP was clocked at 90-92 untill he got sick in a tourney in Cuba. He also got drafted by the Pirates. Both started in Bradenton FL
I clocked a 16 yo guy who played for a team coached by Don Petrie called the Detroit Cobras at 92.
There are a several guys that throw hard at 16-18. I know a lot more locally that threw 85_ at 15/16 and touch 90 at 18.
Do you need to throw that hard ? No. My son got his 1st MVP award as a freshman on the varsity team and he was only throwing 78/80 at the time. He has given up 5 home runs since he was 10 and I remember every one of them. Usually an offspeed that didn't break sharply not the FB.
I agree you need both. The FB is the main pitch off which everything else works.
I was actually quite surprised to listen to some top ten schools and hear how many they called soft throwers in the low 80s.
In our province pitchers are limited to 12 outs because of the dominance of some pitchers. There is such a wide range of talent on HS teams. We had 24 teams in our zone and the pitchers were very good. A few drafted and many US college guys. We played the championship for Ontario in The Jays Skydome.
I certainly agree that you need to know how to pitch. Today's varsity high school lineup can catch up to any fastball, if that's all you throw, particularly if you make a habit of putting it in the middle of the plate. Florida doesn't have a monopoly on good hitters, that's for sure.

But the original question was, what speed are people throwing in HS? And my point was, those who think 78 is "average" and who think those claiming higher numbers are making stuff up are just plain wrong.

A kid who wants to pitch for his high school varsity team would be well advised to spend his early teen years working on mechanics and conditioning with an eye towards developing his fastball FIRST. Too many kids fall in love with the curve ball at a young age, because it racks up a lot of K's against the younger hitters -- with the result that they don't develop their velocity as they could. You can, and from the perspective of arm health really should, wait until age 14 or later to work on your breaking pitch. (A good change-up should come before a curve, anyway.)

The truth is, you won't get much of a look from a HS varsity coach at tryouts unless you're above 80, and if you want to do more than warm the bullpen bench, 83-84 looks to me to be the dividing line between those who start regularly and those who see limited if any action. (You can take off a few mph for lefties, though.) Even at those fastball speeds, you need to have at least one good offspeed pitch and decent command. But you likely won't get a second look if you can't at least establish a respectable fastball.
mniterambler,

If you're from North Florida, I believe Shep is talking about the 3B from Pace in Miami.

The kid from Miami is one of the best prospects in the country, probable 1st rounder. He's a 4 tool guy!

It's always a bit of a stretch to grade a high school player a Major League average or above average hitter, but if you give him that, he only lacks MLB speed. Power, arm, field are all present above average tools in this kid. He's real good!
I don't think some parents are "making stuff up". It's more benign than that. There's just a general tendency to overestimate speed. Parents are certainly not going to underestimate speed.

I catch myself doing it sometimes. If my brother asks me how fast my son is, I'll give him the fastest read time on the warmest day on a Jugs, not cruising speed in the wind at sea level on a Bushnell.

Anyway, like I said, I'm no expert..just a pop who's been around.
I'd definitely recommend if you want to see some "average" high school pitch speeds, check PG's listings for some of the state showcases.
Midlo Dad,

By the way. Washington State is one of the top states in the country for drafted pitchers. See Baseball America. With all due respect to Virginia, we're not chuckin logs up here. All the pitchers on my son's team are also 80+.

But perhaps Virginia and Washington are atypical, don't you think? Better pitchers on average? If so, then that doesn't address the original question..what is the average?
I'm not bragging about VA in particular. My expectation would be that Washington state, and every other state for that matter, would have the same thing going on. That certainly has been my observation in going to travel tourneys the last few years. So, it kind of surprised me to see people claiming that the average HS pitcher only throws 78. I don't know where that would be the case. Certainly no where I know of.
Got cha bro.

BTW, since he is no secret the player I am talking about in Miami is Chris Marrero who does run about a 6.8 60yd dash too Wink

Don't get your way often on panhandle side but Coachric has told me about several of those LH pitchers you are referring to and also heard from another what you said about those left-handers Wink

We PM ya this weekend bro. Shep
Ran these numbers on my excel spreadsheet. Looked at PG state showcases for Western Ma., Colorado, Missouri, and Fl. Panhandle and here are the results:

Western Mass. RHP AVG. 78.8; LHP AVG. 79.7; OVERALL 79
Colorado RHP AVG. 81.7; LHP AVG. 75.5; OVERALL 78.7
Missouri RHP AVG. 82.3; LHP AVG. 81.8; OVERALL 82.2
Florida Panhandle RHP AVG. 81; No LHP listed.

OVERALL AVERAGE SPEED FOR ALL: 80.7

These are kids whose parents think they're good enough for a showcase event. If 80.7 is average for these, my guess of 78 is not too far off the mark for the country overall.

Or am I way off-base?
Bum,

Nice work! To get yet another view add the PG National to the data. Yes, they are many of the best, but they're all high schhol kids. These types do need to be added to the study.

I have no real way of knowing, but would guess somewhere around 80-81 mph would be average.

I disagree it is the same everywhere. There are certain parts of the country where the average would be higher and possibly other parts of the country the average might be lower.

If you go to Houston, Atlanta, Miami, Southern California, Dallas, etc.etc. You won't find many varsity pitchers topping out at 78 mph. You will find a lot of mid to upper 80s and even some 90+ types every year.
You guys have not been in the HS trenches enough and these spreadsheets are based on high level HS baseball players with personal invitations, on draftlists and college lists ETC ETC. Who are you kidding ???

No way in hello operator is the average anywhere near 80-81, Jerry. That must be based on Elite showcases. Just come take a ride with the Shepster to some of these games and you will see what I mean...sometimes I wonder if HS/amateur scouting is where I am supposed to be because it is so boring...Feel much more comfortable doing pro coverage and kinda glad when HS season is over with Big Grin

IMHO,
Shep
Last edited by Shepster
TR

That's exactly what I mean...These averages are based on events like at Jupiter with Top Prospects.

If you took a poll with HS coaches who are not ill-informed across this country I bet the Average would be alot closer to 75 than 80...Geeze

Must be nice working with all those top HS players if these are the averages, 80-81.

That would be a site for sore eyes and welcomed at times for me because I am not always at these high profile games and find myself in
tin-buck-------two with pitchers throwing 70 and here I am trying to get hitting evaluation and really can't because of deficient pitching !!! Smile JMHO ! Shep
Last edited by Shepster
Shep I've lived in the trenches.

The state showcases used in an above post that you’re referring to are open for all high school players (not invite). There is nothing that says they are for the elite only. The purpose is to find a diamond in the rough, to invite to higher level events. What do you mean draft picks? Which draft do you remember 80-81 mph being the average pitcher?

We will be in the trenches again next month at the San Diego Lions tournament, 112 teams. 2,000+ players, most will not be among the “elite” and we will see nearly all of them!

Now if you wish to talk about the high end events… the average would be mid 80s or better. In Jupiter last fall 214 high school pitchers topped out at 88 mph or better in one tournament (average more than three per team). About 100 were 90 or better. If the hurricane had not taken 13 teams that total would have been much higher. In fact it was much higher the previous year when around 150 (if memory serves me) were 90 mph or better. That’s the high level! And no the average was not 80-81. For every 90 there wasn’t a 70.

80-81 is my opinion (maybe a bit higher some places, lower in others), your opinion is 75. I could very well be wrong, but neither one of us could possibly know. No one can answer the question accurately, the information just doesn’t exist. Why is it that you know and others have no idea?

Anyway, if on a 4 man staff a high school has one mid 80s pitcher, it would mean the other three, top at 70mph. For every pitcher who throws 80 mph someone would need to top at 70 to average 75.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but how many high schools have very many varsity pitchers who throw less than 70 mph or an entire staff that can’t throw over 75 mph? I do know to average 75 it means most have to throw less than that.

Maybe others will chime in regarding their part of the country and what they have observed.

How many have pitchers who throw low 80s? I don’t have any idea, but I’m guessing you do for some reason. I just threw out my guess, 80-81 average, none of us really knows. Here was the actual quote
quote:
I have no real way of knowing, but would guess somewhere around 80-81 mph would be average.

I just know we see a very huge number of 80-85 mph high school pitchers every year. I really didn’t expect to receive an education or reprimand.

I thought your post was very disrespectful. Neither you nor I need to be Mr. Baseball! And in fact, WE definitely are not! JMHO
Last edited by PGStaff
PG

Unless one gets out and sees every game of every team one will never know what the averages are--there is no way you can go, no offense guys, by HS coaches word because most never put a gun on their pitchers and estimate what they throw and then, when you see them they at least 5 MPH slower.

I have learned to take only the word of people I know well when it comes to a pitchers mph.
It didnt take long for the original question (How fast is average in HS varsity) to morph into "how fast does my son or his buddies throw." About par.

Fact: Average top out speed for a high school varsity pitcher is about 78, maybe a bit less. I've seen plenty of good ones who throw 70. Bet that 90% of HSs in the U.S. never had one 90 mph pitcher...ever.

quote:
'Round these parts, 78 is well below average for the guys who actually get to pitch on a varsity level, and I would expect to see a 78 mph fastball tatooed pretty regularly.

Yeah, those 78s run into trouble often. But that's life for the AVERAGE pitcher. The question wasn't about future MLB first round choices.
Last edited by micdsguy
quote:
Fact: Average top out speed for a high school varsity pitcher is about 78, maybe a bit less. I've seen plenty of good ones who throw 70. Bet that 90% of HSs in the U.S. never had one 90 mph pitcher...ever.

Micd,

Don't want to belabor the point, but what makes it a “fact”? Your estimate of 90% who never had a 90 mph guy might be true. While it's possible that a pitcher could be good throwing 70, I just hardly ever see that. I respect your opinion of 78 mph, but it’s impossible to call it a “fact”!

In the town we live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa… There are 8 high schools. We are very familiar with every varsity pitcher. Every school has at least two low 80s guys. Most have a mid 80s or a bit higher guy. One has a high 80s and a three mid 80s. Very few varsity pitchers in this town are as low as topping out at 78 mph. This is far from a high school baseball hotbed. I’ve always kind of considered Cedar Rapids or Iowa an average type place. I must admit though, that all 8 are big high schools, and that might be the reason for more pitchers who throw in the 80s.

We have over 45,000 player files in our database. And there’s no way we would feel comfortable stating any number as the average. Just not enough data!

It would be the same thing guessing the average for 60 yard times of high school varsity players. I will “guess” 7.5-7.6!, but have no idea!

We have several high school coaches on board here. Perhaps some of them know what their varsity pitchers top out at. Of course, even that would give us one example out of what? 20,000 high schools in the country.
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
PG

Unless one gets out and sees every game of every team one will never know what the averages are--there is no way you can go, no offense guys, by HS coaches word because most never put a gun on their pitchers and estimate what they throw and then, when you see them they at least 5 MPH slower.

I have learned to take only the word of people I know well when it comes to a pitchers mph.

Agree. I've been watching HS baseball for 10 years. EVERYTIME I've heard about a hard thrower ...his press exceeds performance when it comes to speed. Includes a local kid now....it's all over the place that he throws 94. I'm sure he has....but the days I,m there looking over the scouts shoulder it always seems to be 88-89. So when talking about averages it may be useful to agree we are talking about cruising speed. Not some top end a guy hit once/twice when he was pumped for a special event.
I am a high school varsity coach (small school... but very "average" I think when you're talking USA) and I think 78 is a good answer. Sure the big schools all have a 'one' that's mid 80's but you get into their bullpen and it's 69-79... If we are talking average... not showcase kids, I think 78 is about right. I always tell parents, '80 will turn your head' because they won't see it all that often.
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:

Now if you wish to talk about the high end events… the average would be mid 80s or better. In Jupiter last fall 214 high school pitchers topped out at 88 mph or better in one tournament (average more than three per team). About 100 were 90 or better. If the hurricane had not taken 13 teams that total would have been much higher. In fact it was much higher the previous year when around 150 (if memory serves me) were 90 mph or better. That’s the high level! And no the average was not 80-81. For every 90 there wasn’t a 70.

80-81 is my opinion (maybe a bit higher some places, lower in others), your opinion is 75. I could very well be wrong, but neither one of us could possibly know. No one can answer the question accurately, the information just doesn’t exist. Why is it that you know and others have no idea?

Anyway, if on a 4 man staff a high school has one mid 80s pitcher, it would mean the other three, top at 70mph. For every pitcher who throws 80 mph someone would need to top at 70 to average 75.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but how many high schools have very many varsity pitchers who throw less than 70 mph or an entire staff that can’t throw over 75 mph? I do know to average 75 it means most have to throw less than that.

Part of the issue is also the difference between where they "top off" at and where do they pitch at for most of the game.

Don't know about average for the Country can only speak to local schools. Also I think at the local level it depends what year they are in. In most cases if you have a younger pitching staff the velocity will be down a bit. My Sons school has 1 that Tops over 90 probably 88-90 avg. 1 that is probaly tops mid 80s now (based on visual this year) last year was 80-81 and a third probably touching 80. Behind that probably mid 70's. I feel safe that most most schools in our area have at least 1 pitcher in low 80's.

PG...in regards to Jupiter IMO not only would you have more guys due to some teams that dropped out due to the tournament a number of kids who where there I believe could have been 1 or 2 mph faster if the tournament had not been delayed 3 weeks when many of the players seasons had been shut down for a number of weeks already. Not that you had any control over that!
Last edited by Novice Dad
No disrespect intended sir, towards you or any other. Actually quite the opposite, a tremendous amount of respect coming from here toward you guys.

And agree that nobody's "Mr. Baseball" here even though some of us try extremely hard to sell our beliefs and observations.

And you are right about your observation of my comment on draftlists because no draftlists I've ever known have 80-81MPH pitchers that I am aware of...no knuckleballers of late down this way or anywhere as far as I know.

All I'm saying is "many" HS pitchers I come across out there throw much slower and like you, I really don't know exact average, probably nobody does, but apologize just the same, sir.

Sincerely,
Shepster
Last edited by Shepster
quote:
where do you get that statistic --about 78 mph?

That's my experience from gunning or seeing hundreds of pitchers, plus seeing the tabulated results from showcases around the country that cover thousands more. Showcases tend to include elite kids especially those who can wow scouts with jazzy top out speeds and lighting fast 60s.

I knew a 260 pounder slugger who never attended a showcase even tho he could smack HRs all day. He'd be humiliated by his 10 second 60 time.

I'd guess LOCAL showcase topout speeds are 2-3 mph higher than average. National Elite showcases are faster still. When the question relates to average speed, you must include the last pitcher on the bench on the worst team in the conference. And that kids isn't spending $500 to go to a showcase in Florida!. Also his Dad isn't hanging around HSBBW looking for D-1 opportunities for his kid.

How do I know national average speed by clocking a thousand pitchers? Same way AC Nielson uses a sampling of 1,500 TV logs to determine what 200 million TV viewers watch. A tiny, well structured sample, can provide very accurate information about a huge universe.
Last edited by micdsguy
Micd,

Thanks for the explanation. Let me ask a question.

My theory is the average velocity would change depending on location. I have no statistics to back this up, but I do have an example. A few years ago we spent two weeks watching high school baseball in the Houston, TX area. Saw more than a dozen different teams. I’m fairly sure we never saw a pitcher under 80 mph. In fact, one team Cy Falls had two pitchers throwing over 90 consistently. We saw a few others touching 90 and many upper 80s types. Maybe I don’t remember correctly, but I’m pretty sure low 80s was about the lowest we saw on that trip. I’d guess the average of what we saw in two weeks was 83-85 mph. Lots of 84-86 types!

Maybe HSBBW members who live in that area can confirm or deny the above.

Now I know Houston is a hotbed of high school baseball talent and is far above the norm, but there are other areas like that.

My thought is unlike television viewers, my experience has been all parts of the country are not equal in producing high velocity pitchers. In other words the average in Wyoming would not be the average in Texas.

You might very well be right, but do you think there’s anything to the above?
In my state, there are 1300 High Schools that are members of the Missouri State High School Activities Association. (admittedly not all play baseball). I'm therefore guessing there are about 30,000 HSs in the country...

How many pitchers can cruise at 90 mph? 100? 200?

That's one such fastballer for every 150-300 high schools nationwide.
To average say... 75

Every 90 would take someone topping out at 60. How many of them 60 mph guys are there. For everyone over 90 it would take someone throwing in the 50s. Don't think we can use the number of 90 mph guys as any kind of barometer.

I will venture a guess that there are more throwing 90 or better than there are varsity pitchers throwing in the 50s.

Now that I think about it... What difference does it make what the real average is? FWIW, I think I heard (not sure) there are around 20,000 high schools that play baseball in the country.
quote:
A few years ago we spent two weeks watching high school baseball in the Houston, TX area. Saw more than a dozen different teams. I’m fairly sure we never saw a pitcher under 80 mph.

Those Houston HS were surely mostly large and elite baseball schools. Plenty of Latinos who love baseball. You don't waste time watching really bad small teams play each other.

What you see watching a week of Houston baseball isn't typical of what you'd see watching Single-A schools in Montana or Maine.

You also have to figure hundreds of intercity HSs around the country where baseball barely hangs on. Some public HSs teams in the core of St. Louis are more like clubs...they play 6-12 games if they can round up enough kids on game day. (St Louis city has lots of Bosnians, and few Latinos)
In an above post troy99 suggested we agree to shape the scope of the discussion to average cruising speed. Good suggestion since, after all, we're talking about the "average" high school fastball.

I took 6 master-level courses in surveys/polling (for my MBA, not by choice) and though I've forgotten most of it these many years later I remember one cool trick (shortcut) in determining appropriate sample size: Just take the square root of the "population". If micsdsguy says there are 30,000 HSs out there, and we figure 6 pitchers per team, that's 180,000 pitchers. The square root of 180,000 is 424.

Just sample the 424 (pick them randomly but give more weight to populated areas) and you'll be close. Sorry, I don't have the gas.

Anyway, PG, I'll run the National Showcase numbers asap. Check back for my results.
micd,

One last thing and I'm done (I think) but do look forward to Bum's further research.

On that typical high school team how would the innings be distibuted? How many high school teams have 8 pitchers who get significant innings?

In the example you give, I would guess the higher velocity guys would throw the vast majority of innings. Most of those innings sucked up by the top three pitchers on most high school teams.

If you used the top 4 in your example, what is their average fastball.

I just realized that we might be talking about different things while attempting to guess the ave. HS velocity.

I'm not necessarily averaging out every pitcher, but concentrating on those a hitter is most likely to actually see in a game.

I think in a previous post you mentioned counting the last guy on the bench on the smallest high school. That went right by me.

Was only counting those who actually pitch almost all the innings. That's usually 4 at the max! In micds example the average would be around 76 mph using his interpretation (all 8 pitchers) and 80.5 mph by my interpretation (pitchers who pitch nearly all the innings)

I think that is where I got confused, but still have no idea what the true average is. noidea
micdsguy,

A bit off-topic, but actually, Montana has great baseball. There are more cows than people, I know, but per capita their ballplayers are really good. Legion ball is fantastic in Western Montana.

And if you've never been there, you owe it to yourself.. go see Glacier National Park before global warming takes its course.
PG..

Hypothetically speaking, a good sample could be taken by randomly visiting all 424 locations. Pick the 424 randomly, too, but weight the higher baseball-population areas more heavily.

When you show up (randomly) the better pitchers are more likely to be pitching, right? This is only fair since they pitch more innings. Thus, its all fair.

Practically speaking, peruse PG's stats. It's all there. The state showcase players are closest to "typical". The national numbers I'll post soon.
*************HERE ARE THE RESULTS****************

I ran these numbers into the wee hours of the morning, so I hope you all appreciate them. I ran four (4) national showcases PLUS I took a look at the numbers of PG's Top 1000.. more on that below:
These are all 2005:

WORLD SHOWCASE:
RHP: 86.82 LHP 86.25

NATIONAL SHOWCASE
RHP 89.43 LHP 90.28

PG AFLAC SHOWCASE
RHP 88.67 LHP 87.20

NATIONAL UNDERCLASS SHOWCASE
RHP: 81.25 LHP 79.98

TOP 1000 OF 2005------------------------------------
AVERAGE OF THESE PITCHERS' SHOWCASES THIS YEAR: 86
AVERAGE OF THEIR SHOWCASES 1 YEAR BEFORE: 86.11
AVERAGE OF THEIR SHOWCASES 2 YEARS BEFORE 82.55

So the elite pitchers improved on average 3.56 MPH between their Sophomore and Junior years.

Good reading.
Bum,

Thanks for doing all that work. Average fastballs are around what I would have guessed.

pitching101,

These are the average peak velocity of 100s of pitchers that "Bum" has compiled. In fact, he even went to 1,000 pitchers in the final numbers.

The information is available to anyone who would like to do the math. Even without doing the math, one can get the idea by looking at the results. For example here is a link to ther workout results for position players and pitching velocities during the actual games.

Remember this was the National, so the [players are many of the very best prospects in the nation.

Also, remember that many of these pitchers we've recorded even higher gun readings at other events (For example Cory Rasmus is listed in this link as topping out at 91 at the National, but he was uo to 97 mph in the PG WWBA Championship in Jupiter.

Also keep in mind that most pitchers average fastball is usually a couple miles lower than their top speed. Very seldom, if ever, do we see a pitcher throw only one pitch 5 mph harder than any other pitch. In fact, when a scout sees one reading 5 mph higher than any other pitch, he will usually disregard it.

I've read many times where people say a pitcher throws 85 mph and then pops one at 92 and the 92 is listed. That just doesn't happen, it's nearly impossible!

Anyway, Here is the link, you can scroll down to see everything including 60 yard times. (60 was run on absolute perfect running conditions, which explains the fast laser readings. It did include many of the fastest players in high school baseball. - PG National Player Results
I posted this about 2 months ago but here's the results of three Missouri showcases (PDF format) Lots of stats on players that are generally a notch or two below PG quality. Still I'm guessing these are kids tend to have better than average "curb appeal", as a real estate agent might say Smile

http://www.mhsbca.net/05showcaseevalsweb_complete.pdf

http://schoolweb.missouri.edu/stoutland/elementary/2004...es%20Aug_Updated.pdf

http://rollanet.net/~mhsbca/2003_showcase_evaluations.htm

These three showcases took place in central Missouri (Jefferson City, Fulton, Warrensburg) pretty far from St Louis and Kansas City. Heavily weighted to small schools in small towns.

Still, most players had to travel to get there and there was an entry fee. Therefore, the group is still better than average by local standards, I'm sure.
There are many divisions in high school baseball. I think the reads in the showcases probably support that average fast ball velocities in high school are in the 70s. The freaks of nature that can rev it up tend to show up at the showcases. In Texas, like other states there are about as many A as AAAAA schools. Those kids generally don't show up. I'm also willing to bet all the peak velocities on the list show an average velocity of 3-4 mph less. I gunned a Texas tournament recently where I got few 80 mph+ reads. Of course, most schools were not AAAAA, but I guess that's my point. No way the average is 80 across the country.
baseballpapa,

You guys are probably right about the average, I just know we have more data. I'd bet the farm (I don't own) on it. Granted many of those gun readings include the highest level pitchers.

There are many instances where pitchers can not maintain their velocity for more than an inning or two. Then there are a few who will throw the last pitch of a game at their top velocity or near it.

Sure you know this but scouts frame out a pitchers velocity. They will record a range, ie. 84-86 and a top of 87. No one averages out every single pitch that I know of and comes up with a number like 84.8. If the 84-86 turns into 81-83 in the 3rd inning, that is recorded, also, but no average for every pitch is determined. Not by us anyway!

Our people are instructed to record a pitchers average in a frame ie. 84-86, followed by his top reading if above 86, followed by the number of times the top speed was reached. On paper it might look like this… 84-87 top 88 2X

We have recorded more gun readings than anyone in baseball. Nothing to brag about, but true because we see so many players. Hardly ever do we see a top velocity 3 or 4 mph higher than the high end of what we block him out. Usually it is 1 mph higher, once in a great while 2 mph.

I hear what you’re saying, 86-89 top 90 2X could be looked at as top velocity is 4 mph over 86, or 3 mph over 87 or 2 mph over 88. I tend to look at as 1 mph over the high end of his frame. In Jupiter last fall, Rasmus topped out at 97 2X, he pitched at 93-96. He had a lot more 96s than he had 93s or 94s. I have no idea what all his pitches averaged out. I doubt if any scout who was there could tell you his exact average per pitch. The information recorded was enough.

I’ve finally figured out the differences in this discussion has more to do with how we look at averages rather than the average itself. If that makes any sense?

Shepster, your apology is accepted of course. Probably what got me the most was the mention that we are not working in the trenches. As you would say "gotta find em". Smile Well we don't have tryouts so we gotta find em!

Nearly every high school game could be considered the trenches and we’re trying to cover the entire country. Also, got under my skin when you mentioned the high level events being those having 80-81 mph average. Glad "Bum" did the math on a few of those events. I apologize for being so touchy.
crazy
Just to clarify on the PG top 1000..

That was the top 1000 players for 2005 according to PG. I looked at everyone of the top players and then compiled the speeds of just the LHP pitchers (I did this a few months ago because my own son is a LHP). Actually, there were only 124 LHP pitchers in that 1000.

To reiterate, RHP's are not included in my analysis of the top 1000.

By the way, I even broke down the average speed of those as follows:

LHP Pitchers in top 100: Avg. 88.00
LHP Pitchers in 101-500: Avg. 86.33
LHP Pitchers in 501-1000: Avg. 84.50

What's really fascinating to me is to check the progress of some of these kids by comparing their gun readings from year-to-year.
I do this by using a spreadsheet, and all seniors are "0", Juniors are "-1", Sophomores are "-2" and so on. Class year and date of event are immaterial using this system.
Last edited by Bum
It's interesting to follow a pitcher's speed during a long game. Many peak well into the game, around 3rd or 4th inning, and can maintain speed into the 6th inning or beyond with a dropoff of only one or two mph.

I've seen a few pitchers who were only good for an inning or two of gas. But that's not the rule from my experience. Any comments?
quote:
At the risk of creating further controversy on this topic I will refrain from sharing the average readings of the tassle of big league pitchers today at game. Sat directly behind "several" stalkers and could not believe my eyes.

I was shocked...

Com'on, we all want to be shocked too. What did those Stalkers reveal???
Last edited by micdsguy
Shep,

That is normal for early spring training. Once sat and watched Clemens, Gooden, and a few other hard throwers throw 85-87 in an early spring training game.

Often it's the vets that take it extra easy early in the spring. Despite the pitch counts, the WBC is going to force some pitchers to crank it up a bit earlier than normal.
Was told the average velocity of the fastball in the major leagues was 88 about 4 to 5 years ago and is now 90. Also heard a lot of high school pitchers throw considerably slower in the pros.

I have a couple of questions for you gurus. Are the stadium reads real and what kind of equipment is used? Are the kids going pro really throwing slower or is it just the hype was not met with the actual performance? Or is it they are teaching different grips with run instead of straight fastballs and this is causing lower reads?
Papa,

No guru here! But here’s my opinion.

Some pitchers throw with less, some with more velocity by the time they reach the top.

The stadium readings are more accurate in some places than other when compared to the Stalker. I believe most use a Jugs system, but it is far from the little hair dryer units people carry around at games.

Hype does not get someone to the Big Leagues. They don’t pay first rounders millions of dollars based on hype. Yes you are correct, in most cases where velocity is slower it’s because the pitcher has learned how to get hitters out. This would include one, or more, of many different reasons including better movement, more deceptiveness, better pacing for starting pitchers, better command. Then there are the Bobby Jenks types who throw harder than ever now. Often these guys who throw harder now than in the past are relief pitchers.
PaPa and PG,

Don't mean to interrupt sirs but I have a couple of gifts posted in hitting thread under Spring Training Pics in Hitting thread. Must click picture of Coach Little to get full size photo as well as click photo of NYMet RHH in order to see tilt in posture Bluedog.

If you click comments and /or next it will allow you to see 'em.

Shep

Shep
Will have to agree with Midlo as far as varsity around here (central VA - east side, AAA schools). My son made varsity last year as a sophmore in CF. He pitched about 3-4 innings early in the season and between the ground balls that were hits, the few errors, and a mistake or two = being rocked compared to our other pitchers. Ace pitched low 90's (94 at one game), #2 lefty 86-89, #3,4 & 5 clocked 85-88. My son has been clocked 75-78. All the other county schools (3 others) had someone clocked at ninety and one of those had 2. Through other years I would say the average around here is mid 80's.
Tim Robertson
Personally, I wasn't there last year, but we had several scout the event. We actually provide USA Baseball the guns.

I think Dynamic Elite (FL) played Florida Magic in the championship game. Team Orlando or Orlando Scorpions were third.

The JOs are for 16&U teams so I would guess there are several players in the tournament who have yet to start for varsity.

That said, there were some of the very best 15 and 16 year olds in the nation there. Many who not only start, but star for their high school team.

For us we don't pay much attention to who wins the most games. We are only interested in who are the top players. The Columbia Angels (TX) were loaded! So were some other teams like the Richmond Braves and Orlando Scorpions.

I doubt if every #1 starting high school pitcher throw much harder than Jon Gast, Tim Melville, Daniel Marrs, Anthony Ferrara, Andrew Paulene, and others who were there nearing 90 mph on our Stalkers. And yes, there were many 70-75 type pitchers as well.

The guys above will be the #1 starter at most any high school in America that doesn't have a high draft pick pitcher.
PG, on the personal side..

My LHP son has been invited to the J.O. tournament in Peoria and he, too, is looking to break into varsity. He's a sophomore.

He was told by coach he'd be varsity then last week there was a transfer from another state.. an older RHP with an 88 MPH fastball. My son found out today and is very disappointed but determined.

All of this points to why "the average fastball" peaks my curiosity. As good as I think my son is, there's always another out there and you need to know. Pitching is the show. Velocity is the ticket. Well, in this case my son has decent velocity but got trumped by an older player. That's baseball.

Anyway, my kid was invited but couldn't attend your National Underclass and Academic Showcase, but we're looking forward to the West Coast Top Prospect Showcase. You guys run a first-class operation. Keep it up.
Last edited by Bum
One thing we need to get straight is what is meant by "cruising speed" as opposed to peak MPH.

It appears that some of you are using "cruising" to mean where a guy peaks on a typical day as opposed to his best day.

Others are using "cruising" to mean where a pitcher throws most of his fastballs. That is, he has the capability to throw harder, but he chooses to stay free & easy most of the time in order to have a little extra "pop" to surprise a batter with when needed.

PG, you mention some names and I will point to Melville as an excellent example. I have seen him out there throwing 87-88 without the least bit of strain. Then maybe he gets a guy in scoring position with less than two outs and needs a K, so suddenly he's pumping 92-93. This is just a talented guy who's showing he's also smart. If he'd been throwing 92-93 all day, the batters might have him timed. But 87-88 is hot enough to put most batters on the defensive, while still leaving him room to "reach back for something extra".

I would argue that for a pitcher who has the physical capabilities and the smarts to do this, 92-93 is the relevant number to discuss, not 87-88.

That's not to say he may not have a day where he doesn't have his best stuff and might not peak at 87-88. But if you're evaluating what a pitcher has to go to, it makes no more sense to judge him by his "cruising" velocity than it does to evaluate him by the MPH on his curve or change-up. Peak velocity is the relevant number for evaluation purposes.
quote:
He was told by coach he'd be varsity then last week there was a transfer from another state.. an older RHP with an 88 MPH fastball. My son found out today and is very disappointed but determined.

Hey, we heard a similar story...a fastballer from Florida transferring to our humble team. My son reported yesterday with a chuckle that the star kid hits 75... maybe.Smile

See him before you panic.
Last edited by micdsguy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.