Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Fastball,
There is no connection between the two. Some of the kids played both last year, when summer ball with the HS meant two games a week. This year it is four, (mon-thurs) and I don't notice as many (or any) of the boys running out to play legion ball this summer. Four of our boys are playing with the Kenosha Indians, mainly on the weekends and in tournaments (SIU this weekend).
Highland Park 2 Evanston 0 on a combined no hitter by Bryce Codell, Matt Berk, and Garrett Gordon.
HP now 8-2.
Games against Lane Tech and Whitney Young were rained out this week. With the exception of senior to be Gordon, HP had all junior to be players.
Most of the HP varsity seniors and 3 juniors-Anthony Kopp, AJ Nathan, and Jon Menke are playing Legion ball and only play varsity part time. Of course, like other teams, wait until the playoffs, then the fun begins when everyone is at "full strength".
Well, then he probably catches Jon Menke too. Jon takes lessons from Sakis as well. Jon threw on the varsity this spring, getting two no decisions and beating Loyola. He threw legion against the Wilmette Wave and Paul Duncan last week, losing 3-1. Today he pitched for the HP Colt team and beat New Trier, going 5 innings and giving up two runs as HP defeated New Trier 10-4 to move into the championship game against either Lake Forest or Niles Braves Red, depending upon who won this afternoon. Your son is a great kid and a heck of a catcher. He caught a kid named Tomm Catomer this winter, when I had Jon give up a half lesson so Sakis could look at Tommy. Catomer throws for South Mountain in AZ and hits 93. Your son caught him with ease! Jon and AJ Nathan played both varsity and Soph this spring while Anthony Kopp played just varisty.
Summer Illinois State Tournament West Suburban first round had a great game; Whitney Young the top most promising Chicago Public League Team lost a heartbreaker to Nazareth Academy Score 7-5 Nazaereth 2009 player Ryan Pacyga hit a game winning Grand Slam. Whitney Young was winning late in the game until Pacyga's Slam to pull Nazareth ahead. More on Lyons Township playing now.
Glenbard South Regional 1st Round Scores

Play in: St. Francis 7 Lisle 6
Neuqua Valley 11 St. Francis 2
Glenbard South 6 Wheaton Warrenville 2
Hinsdale South 6 Glenbard East 5
Willowbrook 16 Lemont 5
Downers South 10 Benet 4
Wheaton North 9 Bolingbrook 1
Hinsdale Central 8 Naperville Cent. 7
Downers North 3 Montini 2

To see tommorows games visit: www.illinoishighschoolbaseball.org

click on : Summer League
Its always nice when you can say you beat New Trier. A great back and forth game with some WEBGEMS.

NT CF Hopson had a great Willy Mays type running back to HP catch with a couple guys on in the 4th or 5th to save some runs and then had one of the better catches that I have ever seen from a HS CF (picture Jim Edmonds running straight back and going full extension to rob the guy right at the track). This was the leadoff hitter of the bottom of 7 in a 6-6 tie game mind you!!!! That would be a great video.

Lane pulls it out and will play @ Buffalo Grove 4pm on Tuesday.

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=232227&tclass=

Keep working hard,
Justin Stringer
Do It Right Baseball
Lane Tech Baseball
www.doitrightbaseball.com
HSBASEBALLWEB SPONSOR
Last edited by LTBB47
For us it was Sam Cochiaro, he did really well. Went 8 strong innings after a somewhat rough start.

For Nazareth they had a lefty, I believe number 52 though I could be wrong.

We missed many scoring chances, as did Naz throughout the game. We finally plated one in the 10th.

In the bottom of the tenth Naz came up, one got on with a hit, another with an error. Their 3/4(?) hitter (#44) rocketed one to straight away center for a game winning double.
West sub bracket Lyons Township, Brian Lorenz wp over Morton. Nazareth over Leyden. Lyons Twnshp lost some great players (Casey MacMurray) to graduation but still have quite a lineup with Lorenz, Esposito and Valunas. They play Nazareth next I have seen both teams abnd Lyons should win. It's interesting Prairie Gravel is known for feeding players into LT, but they also send them down the street to Nazareth Two former Gravel players came through big for Naz yesterday Matt Fulton pitched 9 innings in their 10 inning win over Leyden with Ryan Pacyga again hitting a walk off game winner. Another gravel kid Phil Kayser is injured, they are missing him from the lineup. They play at Fenwick Tonight
Last edited by Brandblaze
ballyall-
What's with doggin' on Naz? I just graduated from there and we put up 2 solid years, back-to-back. Two 20 win seasons in a row, with a regional championship this past year. We went out in the playoffs and competed in one of the toughest sectionals. We made it just as far as LT did, lost to a better team then LT did. Not to mention that we were the only team from the consistently strong east suburban conference to win a regional. In the loss against LT this past day, the game could have been changed a great deal had Naz's ace and possible draft pick next year Phil Kaiser not been injured. LT draws from 1,000 kids per grade and Naz draws from 165 per grade...Milano does the best he can with what he gets over there...don't u think it might be kinda difficult to get the cream of the crop at Naz when u have a perenial powerhouse like LT down the block. Know your stuff b4 u talk next time, please.

Brandblaze thanks for the gravel reference, its good to see we still have respect even though there is only a 10 yr old team left lol.
quote:
don't u think it might be kinda difficult to get the cream of the crop at Naz when u have a perenial powerhouse like LT down the block. Know your stuff b4 u talk next time, please.

Thank you for proving my point. I am not so sure why you are upset, other than insecurity. All I said was that Naz is not the perennial solid team like LT. I also acknowledged that you had a few decent years in a row. Quite frankly, you need another decade or so of 20 wins to intimidate anyone. Teams are afraid of LT--I can assure you no one fears the RoadRunners.

I dont want to hear about population or anything else, that was not my point. Look at my post and all I said was that Naz has quite a ways to go to be respected like LT is.
How did i prove your point you said that they cant ride the talents of a few good players for a couple years and i pretty much explained to you that for nazareth to be succesful they HAVE to ride their best players talents b/c their lineups will never be as talented as the LT's...please show me where my insecurity was? You took a shot at my old team, and i stood up for them. Yeah, your right...sounds like insecurity to me. And by the way...over the past decade(s) Naz has proven to the likes of LT...Back when Sullivan was coaching at LT, Naz beat LT, and also lost because of a messed up play that the umpire missed. Over the past several years there has been a decline in the win column but that is due to us moving into the ESCC and out of the PSL. As a player I dont regulary go to the school records and look up how many 20 win seasons our opponent has since 1989, where does the intimidation come from in that? You remember how a team played last yr and you remember their good returning players and that is where intimidation comes from. So maybe we arent intimidating the parents in the stands, but I'm pretty sure among the players (the people who actually matter in the game) Naz is known. Where was ur acknowledgment of our recent succes by the way?
Easy there Gravler, I have known your old coach for over 20 years. Remember you still represent that program! Once a Gravel" player always a Gravel player, kind of follows you around in a good way that is. I will say this, Sam Sorce should get just as much credit building the area talent as anyone has a right to. I agree Nazareth has a nice program, they also have a long way to go to be considered a powerhouse. They do have a bunch of returning starters and they should be very tough for the next several years. They also didn't have a chance against LT.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.