Skip to main content

where can i find online where it shows the new high school baseball rankings??..

either in state or florida.. and where it goes my 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A..

is there sites that have team rankings that update?
Check out my 2010 Maxpreps baseball stats profile: http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/iYmASwPmgEuo_xZ3sqXu1w/baseball-spring-10/stats-brandon-surber.htm
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Rankings are fun to talk about, especially if you're mentioned.

Truly, though, there is no way to compare teams from one coast to the other.

BA in particular has no actual scouting service, so it's just a guy or two sitting in their offices taking a flier on who looks to have a loaded roster.

Also there have been certain teams who regularly beat up on weak competition and end up near the top, only to get their heads handed to them when they get to something like, e.g., the Anderson Bat tournament in March. Last year, BA had a team at or near # 1 and they just barely averted last place in the week in California. Turns out they were very good at killing teams from small, inner city private schools. Not so ready for prime time, though.
quote:
PG,
Nice to see Brophy Prep made number 10 in your poll.

Just to set things straight. I, personally, have nothing to do with those rankings. Our major interest involves individual players, not teams.

However, I do think these kind of rankings are fun to look at. I know a lot of work goes into them. It would be neat if the very best teams actually played each other or if there was a good way to compare them. I'm sure that all the teams ranked anywhere are deserving and I'm positive that all the rankings will be changing as the season progresses.
Cottonwood's ranking seems okay to me (#52). Coach Hoover puts an impressive Varsity line-up together every year (4-time State Champions at 4A), and 2 of their previous pitching "studs" are currently with OSU. With their next one listed with Washington State, you can see that he "recruits" rather well.

Our HS played Bishop Gorman last season. We lost, 13-6, but then a great many teams have lost to them <grin>.
On the PG Top 100 teams ranking. IMO Jeff Simpson did about 1/2 of a good job.

I am very dissapointed. Specifically with his details. He got the schools fairly right based on their last years accomplishments. He got the top prospects right.

Then he completely fell off. He missed really important details. Got kids names wrong. Missed others completely. Included kids who have really done nothing at the hs level. AND THIS WAS A HIGH SCHOOL REPORT.

I read through the teams I was very familiar with and he was just off.

IMO, he took someone elses word for it, did not do
his own due dillegence.

It looks like he took the same "flier" someone accused someone else of taking.

If you cant get the details right dont report them.
playfair,

The main idea for doing the rankings is to create interest in high school baseball. I believe you if you say there are some mistakes. Regarding players who have yet to do anything in high school... There is a player listed who is a protential first round pick this year as a pitcher. Last year he didn't pitch at all in high school.

Anyway, I would like to know what these mistakes are. Maybe we could correct them. For sure we would check into it. I'm not sure where Jeff gets all his information or how he goes about ranking the teams, but I will find out. I only know he did it last year and we discovered his rankings were by far the closest of any from the beginning to the final rankings.

Rankings do create controversy, but I really would appreciate knowing about any mistakes. We have already found some typos and misidentifications on names of players. I can't believe he just took a flier on this project, thinking no one would notice. I would imagine it was a lot of work with many people involved. Please feel free to help if you know of mistakes... Others have via email.
PGStaff, I have such complete and total respect for you and I am a PG lover. My kid has participated in plenty of PG stuff.. (ie. WWBA, BCS and showcases) and, you and the PG staff set the bar high in my mind for the rest of the PG staff (and the rest of the reporting baseball community).

I have a very good knowledge of the current hs top/former prospects(2008/2009/2010, top 2011s), and good knowledge of the the 2008/2009/2010 mid prospects. I have subscriptions to BA, PGC, NCAA, NJCAA, and am fairly normal as far as posters here go.

We all do our homework.

So, when I read through the list and saw the general order of the rankings list I thought well, Jeff did a nice job of ranking the teams as far as what teams accomplished last year. He upped some teams that have really top rated top prospects accordingly. Acknowledged some teams that lost key players but left them in the rankings based on prior past good deeds.

The problem was in the details. Which is why is said he did about half of a good job. He bailed after that (IMO).

I think he called some coaches and got a glib answer or two and went with it. He did not appear to do any research of his details.

He got some commitments wrong, names wrong, missed some key players and included some players that have no hs experience (thus why I believe he had phone conversations with hs coaches)and I just was dissapointed with the report based on how it meshed with my homework.

So I say only report what you can report accurately. He did a good job mostly. Its not perfect.

I think I may hold PG to a Godly standard (unfair I know... but PG is great. The report was only good to a point.)
playfair,

Maybe my post was confusing. I know you have always said nice things about us. Also, I respect your knowledge and believe you when you say there are mistakes in the details. I don't think this is sour grapes on your part. I also know that you wouldn't mention any names on a public forum. All I meant, if it didn't come out right, was that I'd like to know what those mistakes are. It would be greatly appreciated if you would email or PM me about that.

Thanks and you are holding us to a standard we will never attain. Smile
Last edited by PGStaff
quote:
Originally posted by playfair:
I have a very good knowledge of the current hs top/former prospects(2008/2009/2010, top 2011s), and good knowledge of the the 2008/2009/2010 mid prospects. I have subscriptions to BA, PGC, NCAA, NJCAA, and am fairly normal as far as posters here go.

So, let's see your list. C'mon, playfair. Wink
Very happy to see my son's high school team(Rocky Mount Senior High) get recognized in the PG # 33 spot. It's interesting to note that we play PG's # 67 team, Wesleyan Christian in the Impact Invitational at USA Baseball Complex in Cary, NC next Saturday. This event has got to be the best early season scheduling job in high school baseball. Andy Partin has expanded it in the 2nd year to try and include the top teams as well as teams with top prospects. It's also held at a great venue.
http://www.impactbaseball.com/...etail.asp?NewsID=420
The rankings are always fun but I saw first hand what a high ranking can bring. As a Coppell Cowboy fan - #2 and #5 on the the two lists it was apparent last night that some nerves come with the ranking.

They won the first two but at some points either game could have went the other direction but in the end the boys stood up and executed what they have learned over the years.

As for rankings, neither PG or Baseball America have Plano West listed this year.....yet. They won it all last year and have fully reloaded.

Coppell plays in district with Flower Mound - #53 in PG and #19 in BA and plays them three times this year, so the odds of going undefeated are not good. Southlake Carroll is #38 in the BA poll and in our district also and they got beat in the finals last year by Plano West.....and Coppell plays them(Plano West) next Friday.

The long story short is the teams that finish at the top of these lists will be real good but the ones that start at the top will have to fight to stay on top.

Either way the boys are excited to be playing for real right now.
Last edited by ACowboyFan
For fun, I did a side by side of the PGC rankings with the BA rankings.

I listed the hs teams alphabetically starting with the PGC ranking on the left and the BA ranking next with the HS listed next. The * represents players that attend ranked high school that attended the PG Nationals. (Kind of fun to see how well PG picks their talent for the Nationals)...

I will work on Area Code kids next.

PGC BA High School Notable players
Nr 15 American Heritage *Devon Marrrero, *Darnell Sweeny
69 17 Andrean
26 Avon Old Farms *Tim Brechbuehler
31 Barbe
12 11 Bellaire
1 1 Bishop Gorman
92 Bishop Hendricken
Nr 39 Blue Valley, Stilwell KS
82 Boiling Springs
54 Brandon