Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've seen some of my kids roll their eyes when I get out tees... but Tony Gwynn is HUGE on tees and that's good enough for me.. also my older kids that have used the tees A LOT are big believers in them... so I say T it up boys... we do a lot with the pitch away and we set up an L-shape to the oppo side and play a game we call "hockey"... you try to score a goal by hitting a line drive into the net... the kids like it.
The goal of any hitter should be to execute a repeatable swing each time. To train your body to do this you must take out some of the variables, the biggest being timing and pitch location. A tee removes those variables so a kid can concentrate on the swing. In addition to isolating the swing, you can simulate different pitch locations so the kids understand that the outside pitch needs to be hit deeper in the zone, and the inside pitch up in the zone.

The tee in my opinion is the most important training tool out there. I hope coaches are not going away from it.
To me any drill that enables hitters to take more fundamentally sound swings is great whether it be a batting tee, soft toss, swift stik, hands back hitter, BP etc.

But in my opinion, the best way to build core strength, bat speed and bat quickness is nothing more than tossing it up and hitting a line drive as hard as you can (with a slightly heavier bat like wood). I call it “self toss”.

It’s fun and challenging and also teaches plate discipline. Both of my sons did it (and long toss) for 2 months on alternating days every off-season.

The results were measurable each season. My son that is still playing in college does it every time he goes to the cage. He can work on hitting the ball hard to all fields without depending on an accurate pitcher.

If you have never tried it please do. I have never met anyone who tried it that did not like it. However I have encountered a few folks on the Internet who have not tried it that didn’t like it.

THop
Last edited by THop
Tim'
you posted this before and I agree. Also the time delay to get the other hand on the bat as the front side firms makes for good lead leg assistance in rotation and gets the hips a few frames ahead of the upper body...all great fundamentals.

Kids that hit rocks with the old broom stick lead the league.

My son when he was about 10 years old hit pea gravel with an old 7 iron shaft( Head gone) when he was a kid. try that...I couldn't do it and he rarely missed flushing it.

Of course, I was at work all day and he spend his summer in the gravel driveway barefooted with no shirt swinging away.
Last edited by swingbuster

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.