Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
quote:
Originally posted by twotex:
Are the Rangers going down the path of the other teams who made a run at the WS championship, then let the talent go? Lee, Napoli, Hamilton, Young...or is it just tweaking to stay (get back) in contention?
With each player you named there are valid reasons not to give them long term contracts. The Red Sox are balking on three years on Napoli. Rumor is his physical raised questions on him lasting three years.

The only player I've read about the Rangers signing is a 35 year old reliever, so it doesn't sound like a youth movement. Is the plan to bring in more big name talent? Or just let the franchise fizzle? Build from the farm system? Seriously, I haven't read much about the Rangers, so I'm wondering what folks are hearing.
I actually like what the rangers have done.

Younger players mixed with seasoned guys and signed others for insurance. I think that these changes will take off the heat and they can play looser and get the prospects a chance to develop. Might be one of those years they take a strp back and watch how the AL plays out and make trades later if needed.
I agree with RJM, impossible to sign those guys long term.
quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
Steven Drew is just the latest in a long line of Red Sox SS's. I'd be surprised if he sticks for two years. Iglesias has the quickest release of anyone in the organization, but his bat is just not playable at this level.
Drew is only supposed to be there one year. Then Iglesis and Bogaerts (#1 Sox prospect) will compete for the starting position.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Are the Rangers going down the path of the other teams who made a run at the WS championship, then let the talent go? Lee, Napoli, Hamilton, Young...or is it just tweaking to stay (get back) in contention?
With each player you named there are valid reasons not to give them long term contracts. The Red Sox are balking on three years on Napoli. Rumor is his physical raised questions on him lasting three years.

The only player I've read about the Rangers signing is a 35 year old reliever, so it doesn't sound like a youth movement. Is the plan to bring in more big name talent? Or just let the franchise fizzle? Build from the farm system? Seriously, I haven't read much about the Rangers, so I'm wondering what folks are hearing.
I'm not a Rangers fan. I don't follow them at a level where I could provide any kind of analysis. But the four players you mentioned are visible enough for the statement I made.
Last edited by RJM
The Rangers will still be in the thick of things. They have a deep pitching staff and I truly feel Darvish is well on his way to being an inning eating number one pitcher in the style of Verlander, Sabathia, Price, and Hernandez. He's not there yet but many signs point toward that type of talent.

They could have a very dynamic infield if Profar moves in with Beltre and Andrus. They have some possibilities at first which includes moving Kinsler there or putting him in the outfield. They have a good mix of young and veteran talent. Young was now an outmaking machine who really wasn't above average at any defensive position but many people seem to think losing him hurts the offense when the fact is it's just the opposite.

Now if Justin Upton could be acquired without giving up either Andrus or Profar, I think the Rangers would be in high cotton!!!
Last edited by Three Bagger
quote:
quote:
Steven Drew is just the latest in a long line of Red Sox SS's. I'd be surprised if he sticks for two years. Iglesias has the quickest release of anyone in the organization, but his bat is just not playable at this level.
Drew is only supposed to be there one year. Then Iglesis and Bogaerts (#1 Sox prospect) will compete for the starting position.

Iggy is a one trick pony. I only wish he could hit. Xander will pass him.
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Sox would be happy if Iglesis hit 220 his first years on the majors, then develops into a 250-260 hitter. He's that slick with the glove. In addition to Bogaerts breathing on his neck, the 2012 first pick was shortstop Marrero from ASU.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Sox would be happy if Iglesis hit 220 his first years on the majors, then develops into a 250-260 hitter. He's that slick with the glove. In addition to Bogaerts breathing on his neck, the 2012 first pick was shortstop Marrero from ASU.

I'd be happy if he could hit .220. I only saw flashes of that late in the season for a few games when everyone else, including Valentine, was mailing it in. His throwing release maybe the quickest in baseball. He is a Gold Glove player, so it's hard to give up on him, but man he has been worthless at the plate, so far.
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
Some seasons the Red Sox could afford to carry a weak bat for superior defense, but I'm not sure there's enough excess offense to do that this year.
I disagree ...

Ellsbury
Victorino
Pedroia
Ortiz
Napoli (or possibly LaRoche)
Middlebrooks
Saltalamacchia
Gomes/Kalish
Drew

It's not the Sox lineups of the past. But its decent. If Iglesis could come up and hit .220 and Drew is having a decent year they would trade Drew to a contender.

In the big picture this is a bridge year. There would be patience with Iglesis if he hit .220. Defensively he's a potential Ozzie or Vizquel.
That lineup has Victorino who can't hit righthanders at all anymore and thus is not a great on base guy, Napoli who didn't have a great offensive year last year at first where hitting is paramount, an ever older Ortiz without the PEDs, Saltalamacchia and his horrendous .288 OBP, a just okay platoon in left and Drew who did hit .220 something last year. Inglesis hitting .220 would mean his OBP would be about .260 and .220 is no given that he can even hit that. All this is assuming Ellsbury has one of his good non injury filled years which is no given. This is not a really good lineup.
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
That lineup has Victorino who can't hit righthanders at all anymore and thus is not a great on base guy, Napoli who didn't have a great offensive year last year at first where hitting is paramount, an ever older Ortiz without the PEDs, Saltalamacchia and his horrendous .288 OBP, a just okay platoon in left and Drew who did hit .220 something last year. Inglesis hitting .220 would mean his OBP would be about .260 and .220 is no given that he can even hit that. All this is assuming Ellsbury has one of his good non injury filled years which is no given. This is not a really good lineup.
You've gone absolutely worst case scenario with every player. That's not go to happen. But the net of the conversation is regardless of what anyone else on the Sox does, if Iglesis hits 220 he's in the lineup. He's that good with the glove. The Sox don't expect to win anything this coming year. It's a development year. They only have to win 82 to convince the fans he future is ok. They are loaded with late 2013 and 2014 prospects. Then in 2015 they'll spend money for a top free agent if it will make a difference.
Last edited by RJM
100% agree RJM. 2013 is the "get out of the basement year" to set themselves up for upcoming prospects and free agents in 2014/2015. Those on the roster today that produce or provide value will remain on the roster in the coming years. All of this was made possible by the farm system (Portland Sea Dogs, Pawtucket, etc...) and the great salary purge of 2012. The American League East is up for grabs in 2013, but the Red Sox have a ways to go to compete even in that weak division based on their current lineup and pitching rotation.

If Middlebrooks and Kalish establish themselves & contribute ahead of their development schedule the Red Sox will be competitive this year with all other things being equal.

PS...If LaRoche is Plan B with the Napoli/Sox front office stare down, I'm all in for Plan B. LaRoche showed me last year with the Nats how much he has improved over the last couple years. The Nats are crazy not to sign him especially with their clubhouse makeup and need for a solid glove at first base. I saw Laroche bail out Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa sooo many times last year. If they move Morse to first base the number of throwing errors in their infield will double or triple.
Last edited by fenwaysouth
The AL East may be up for grabs with 87/88 wins. The Yankees are getting old. The Orioles walked a fine line of winning a ridiculous number of one run games. Buying talent like the Jays doesn't mean chemistry (see '12 Marlins). The Rays should be the favorites due to pitching. But their hitting isn't that great.
That wasn't a worst case scenerio. Except for the comment about Ortiz, it was what those guys have done for a whole year or in Victorino's case more than one year. I don't feel Ellsbury is what he has shown in two of the last three years due to injuries but I would be shocked if he ever matches his 2011 season or anything close to it. Napoli's bat would be fine as a catcher but as a first baseman it's nothing special.

We all agree the Sox should improve some and doubt they will contend in 2013 though. Valentine was a disaster and just the managerial change alone could help some.
Red Sox sign Napoli to 1yr $5M deal. They wouldn't agree to the 3 yr/$39M orginal deal due to Napoli's hip situation. That is quite a difference. Red Sox may be getting smarter with their pennies. Maybe they have a few pennies left over to find a 1st base backup for Napoli should the hip be a problem.

Also, Nats sign Soriano to 2yr/$28M which absolutely blows me away. $14M for a closer. That is some top dollar, but it is also the missing piece with the Nats. They will be a force to be reckoned with this year.
Last edited by fenwaysouth

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.