Skip to main content

It seems to be like the big pink elephant sitting in the corner of the living room but I am curious as to how Area Code tryouts went for everyone yesterday?

We only have two underclassmen, Cameron Rupp and Joe Leftridge, and they didn't go but plan on attending the one at A&M on the 26th.

-- Formerly Dallas Knights GM

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First, let me say I am hopeful of some good results, which will not be known for certain, as kids do not always know which 'exposure' created an opportunity for them. We are hopeful that of the 30 or so scouts that did watch the 'try-out' my son was given, will have seen something they want to follow, as he grows as a player.

However, he went as a pitcher only, threw 11 pitches, and was not chosen. Bullpen throws, from his group of about 35 pitchers.

The other 25 or so threw from the mound, on the field. They also threw about 10 pitches.

Not all the scouts saw all of the players. It is possible that each organization represented, had more than one person in attendance, so they could have been watching both locations of pitchers.

For the day, we drove 4 hours, sat 3 hours, and threw 11 pitches.

As a spectator, it was impossible to tell if the groups were determined prior to the "tryout' so I would say if they were, AC did an excellent job of not making it painfully obvious to the participants. My son's comment was "the only two they took from my group were the two guys that threw 90" so take that for what it's worth.

We only saw the hitting portion of the position players, and each group received about 8 to 10 pitches to hit with a wood bat. Then a rest, and another 8 or 10 pitches. Then it was off to the field to shag, for the other groups. Long and hot day for them, to say the least.

My estimate was around 140 total players on hand; 75 position, and 65 pitchers. A few kids did both, so that total may be inflated.

I hope there is a poster that was at the game following the tryout, to lend some insight into what they did next, after the teams were chosen.

Would we do it again? Probably.
Would we recommend it to others? Probably. With the additional information we learned, as a guide for them.
Were we disappointed with the format? Definitely.
Was he disappointed with his performance? No.
He felt good about how he performed, and about having made the effort.

You can never have too many people look at you, if you want to advance to the next level.

It was a good experience for my son, he was exposed to many people who can expand his opportunities, and his name is on a list that not everyone gets to be on.

I read the previous thread in HSBBW on the AC tryouts, and had hoped someone who had been would have given us a heads up, but that thread turned into Select Ball Bashing, and DBAT target practice. What a shame that forum was not more informative, and less antagonistic.

Bottom line....he got a cool shirt, he got some guys to see him throw, and I got to spend the day with my kid. Wasn't exactly a cool stream in Colorado fly fishing, but it was a day with my kid. I didn't have to pay money, to showcase a player, nor did they ask for my wallet at the gate.

If there happens to be anyone who has contact with the AC people, a suggestion from the peanut gallery would be to let the parents get a copy of the evaluations, so we can help our kids have a better chance at improving themselves, by seeing through the eyes of someone more educated in the field than us.

I searched the AC Tryout website, and there are no listing of past rosters, how the teams fared in competition, and a search of known players on past rosters did not yield any information.
The California section was extremely well covered, maybe it is the local section that is not as well displayed.

I most likely lost the masses 3 paragraphs ago, but since I don't post often, I figured I would get my money's worth.
Fungoman,

You said it exactly as I would have had I taken the time. Your comments mirrored our day there as well. I will be bold enough to say that I think they knew by about 85% what pitchers would make the team before they ever got there on Tuesday. At least that's how it appeared to me. There may have been one or two that surprised them, but not many. A few of the pitchers only threw 3 pitches and they were done. They stayed for the scrimmage.

That's my two cents worth.
Last edited by Old Pitcher
old pitcher, YOU, would be wrong on the 85% pre selection. It doesn't work like that no matter what any of you think.

Old Pitcher, when a pitcher only throws 3-4 pitches that means he was 88-90 plus range and there is no need to waist his arm since the velocity dictates he stay and pitch in the scrimmage. NOT that it was already determined he stay. He hit the magic number of 90 so why throw anymore when your gonna see him in the scrimmage. COME ON!!

Lets see the bullpen group of pitchers were as follows.

132 Jared Ray 85-90, 68-72 cb
133 Chase Reid 80-86, 77cb (wicked breaker)
135 Chase Rich 83
136 Chance Ruffin 85-87,
137 Ross Seaton 83-86
138 Jason Pearce 86-89, 76cb
139 Brian Borski 81-84
140 Kolin Bonnett 76-80
141 Brandon Williams 83-84
143 Bobby Stone 81-82
144 Ty Stucky 84-86
145 Mo Wiley 84-90
146 Matt Shelton 83-85
147 Tanner Sprinkle 77
148 Tyler Spragins 80-82
151 Kyle Winkler 83-85
152 Chris Withrow 88-90
153 Brett Gibson 81-84
154 Spencer Clare 80
155 Nick Eubanks 83-85
156 Staton Thomas 88-90
157 Caleb Merek 85-86
158 Taylor Wall 80-81
159 Brandon Workman 88-90

Now, Fungoman which one is your son? Numbers 152,156,132,133,159,145 were all selected from this group. NOT JUST 2 PITCHERS as you stated. Number 138 could have been asked to stay but he had no feel for a breaking ball. Fungoman, how else do you evaluate a pitcher. Understand that Its TOOLS. Tools for pitchers are fastball and it needs to be at least 90 and pretty regular. Also, a curveball and a slider and a change are all tools for a pitcher. But arm strength is king. The avg. Major League fastball is 90-92.

Maybe the pitchers could show up at say 2pm

I've told you before how you get an invite but you all seem to think otherwise.
Last edited by Vance34
quote:
Tools for pitchers are fastball and it needs to be at least 90 and pretty regular. The avg. Major League fastball is 90-92.

I think that is probably and accurate statement, but to me, coming from you Vance, it has some taint.

Can you provide a credible reference to substantiate that fact?

All on "THE LIST" had a 90 somewhere in their numbers except the one, with the "wicked curveball".

Area Code is where a lot of very good ballplayers learn that they are not the very best ballplayers.........for the first time.

A long and sobering day...............
Last edited by FormerObserver
Yes, Vance34, more than that.

You did not upset me, I understand the numbers, and don't need to proof in the pudding.

But, others might fact better substantiation of that fact, more understandable.

This does not substantiate.....

quote:
Colt Griffen 100 MPH no idea how to pitch 1.8 million signing bonus.

This.

quote:
Tools for pitchers are fastball and it needs to be at least 90 and pretty regular. The avg. Major League fastball is 90-92

And, I forgot about the hitters.

I bet the hitters that hit it out, or off the wall, with the wood, got picked.

Can't recall the 1-8 grading of above v. below 90.

Somewhere there is grading chart related to MPH.
Last edited by FormerObserver
DRABEK 90-98
KERSHAW 90-98
VERLANDER 95-102

even Greg Maddux was 89-94 in high school.

well observer just look at the draft as far back as you want. Not one 1st round pick threw under 90. Only a handful of lefties threw under 90 and most were lower round picks.

84> 20
84-86 30
87-89 40
90-92 50
93-94 60
95-96 70
97 + 80

NO HITTER HIT A BALL OUT or off the wall

NOT EVEN ONE.

So the guys picked were the ones who centered the ball the most and ran the fastest and were the most athletic.
Last edited by Vance34
Golly Mrs Mathers, I thought the question was "how did the Area Code Tryouts go for everyone yesterday?"....

I simply stated the result of our trip down Area Code Tryout Lane.

I repeated what my SEVENTEEN year old son said, and remarked "to take it for what it was worth."

I said IF it was predetermined, they did a good job of not making the players feel that way.

I also said we were not disappointed in anything other than the format. The discussion was about what happened, NOT my or my son's expectations.

All that being repeated, just to get to this:
When we got home, he went and picked up his girlfriend, they went to Sonic, and came back to the house and watched SuperTroopers on DVD. Then he took her home, by her curfew, and made it back home before his curfew. He came to my office, kissed me goodnight, said "I love you," and went to bed.

All in all, I'd say it was a pretty good day for me Vance, how was your day?
quote:

Lets see the bullpen group of pitchers were as follows.

132 Jared Ray 85-90, 68-72 cb
133 Chase Reid 80-86, 77cb (wicked breaker)
135 Chase Rich 83
136 Chance Ruffin 85-87,
137 Ross Seaton 83-86
138 Jason Pearce 86-89, 76cb
139 Brian Borski 81-84
140 Kolin Bonnett 76-80
141 Brandon Williams 83-84
143 Bobby Stone 81-82
144 Ty Stucky 84-86
145 Mo Wiley 84-90
146 Matt Shelton 83-85
147 Tanner Sprinkle 77
148 Tyler Spragins 80-82
151 Kyle Winkler 83-85
152 Chris Withrow 88-90
153 Brett Gibson 81-84
154 Spencer Clare 80
155 Nick Eubanks 83-85
156 Staton Thomas 88-90
157 Caleb Merek 85-86
158 Taylor Wall 80-81
159 Brandon Workman 88-90

No disrespect to those listed above, but if the list printed above is what was invited to the AC tryouts. Well, just look at the numbers. Some are deserving, but some good one's are left OFF. There is a certain level of politics that get some people on this list that questions the validity of the tryout.

If the AC tryouts are really looking for the best, then invite best. Leave the politics out.
Let me address my condensending and sarcastic ways.

For those of you who read this board and for those that participate in an area code event or some other event. My feeling is if you want to comment or carry on RUMORS (as I see it) then you should at least be honest.

quote:
"the only two they took from my group were the two guys that threw 90" so take that for what it's worth.

This isn't even close to being what happened. To be a good baseball player you must 1st be able to be an honest evaluater of your own skills and you must be able to see it with reality without making excuses.

An AREA CODE tryout is not POLITICAL. It's PRO SCOUTS giving every kid possible a chance to workout in front of all 30 teams as well as college coaches. A tryout camp is just that a tryout. It's not a camp to learn what to work on. Again, and I don't mind repeating it, It's about the tools.

The ones who
THROW THE HARDEST
RUN THE FASTEST
HIT IT THE HARDEST

are the ones who will get the most opprotunities in a PRO driven tryout.

I'll refrain from any further sarcastic and condensending comments. But everyone here is guilty of it when they know that what they are hearing and reading isn't fact.
quote:
Originally posted by Vance34:
Also, there was well over 30 scouts there. There also was well over 50 college coaches there as well from Notre Dame to Army to AM to Texas to ASU to even Junior College coaches. Hell there was 14 scouts on the field alone. Guess those got over looked!

What happened to the other 120 scouts. I thought you mentioned in the last post that 200 or more are in attendance.

No matter how you try to justify it Vance..................Area Code games are................................

BOOTLEG. Razz (In my opinion of coarse)

And it seems like some parents are gaining that opinion now with a little experience. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Vance34:
Also, there was well over 30 scouts there. There also was well over 50 college coaches there as well from Notre Dame to Army to AM to Texas to ASU to even Junior College coaches. Hell there was 14 scouts on the field alone. Guess those got over looked!

What happened to the other 120 scouts. I thought you mentioned in the last thread that 200 or more are in attendance.

No matter how you try to justify it Vance..................Area Code games are................................

BOOTLEG. Razz (In my opinion of coarse)

And it seems like some parents are gaining that opinion now with a little experience. Wink
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
Ken, I have no idea how many were there. What I do know is that over a hundred were there.

There is another area code workout coming up. There will also be many scouts and coaches there as well.

It's not bootleg. Its pro scouts looking for the best players in TEXAS. Its not a popularity contest.

The real problem here as I see it is this... Its not political and thats what the problem is. The best are gonna get picked. Bottom Lne.
quote:

BOOTLEG. (In my opinion of coarse)

Mr. Guthrie,

Wow... with all of your profound remarks, you have indeed convinced me to tell my son that the A&M tryouts are out of the picture for him. I realize, of course, that there is no cost involved. I realize, of course, that there is a high (undetermined) amount of scouts at the tryouts. I realize NOW that it is NOT an honor to be invited. And... I realize, obviously, the teams are picked way before the tryouts.

Therefore, we will stick to our high school team... try to find a good local select ball team for the fall... and spend a LOT more time praying that a college scout will notice our son. Thank goodness I read this post before we wasted an ENTIRE day.
KG, can it hurt to be seen by some scouts (whether 30 or 200 in number)?

Can it hurt for a young man to be invited to something that he views as an honor (perhaps a little recognition for much hard work)?

If the answers to these questions are "No, it can't hurt", then is the AC really such an evil thing?

Folks have honestly expressed their experiences, perspectives and opinions. {Thanks to all for doing so, including KG.} I believe that enough has been presented for people to go into AC with their eyes open and their expectations in line. If people go into this with their eyes open, is there such great harm?

Take it for what it is. No more, no less.
Attaboy! PDiddy.

ORMom and others,

Encourage your sons to play within themselves.

There are a variety of scouts there looking for players to fill spots on their teams.

And, they are trying to fill a team for the California Area Code tournament, too.

Many of those Area Code players are already well identified.

There are college coaches there looking for players. There are not many 90+ pitchers around.

The colleges get the next picks based on the strength of their programs and scholarship availability.

Players mature and learn about the game at different paces.

There will be players good enough to get drafted or play D1 baseball later that will not make that Area Code team.

For some of us, the rose colored glasses have less tint after attending the event.

It's a long day, not very well organized and requires only travel and food costs.

But, there are many scouts and recruiters in attendance.

And, it is a special time and place to show what you can do.

Life ain't always perfect and neither is baseball.

But, it is fun, ain't it?
Been waiting for this one to rear its ugly head again!
My son is an '06 LHP. He also only threw approx. 14 pitches at each tryout (he attended two levels)last year. He was not pre-selected by coaches, but he made the team that went to Calif. He's big (6'4", 225lbs) and he topped out at 86mph. They took him on his projectability due to his size and good mechanics. I guess they really do know what they're looking for because he hit 91mph six months later.

His recruiting really heated up after Calif, but several coaches commented that they had only seen him at the local tryouts (grand total of 14 pitches each time). These were all D1 schools.

I can tell you that his SEC pitching and hitting coaches called him on Monday to chat about how his summer is going. They were in their car driving to the AC tryouts. They take these tryouts very seriously and told my son they were on their way to see some of his future teammates.
Good luck to everyone who attended! I hope the exposure does as much for you as it did for my son. Truly a life-altering event for a kid who has NEVER done any other showcases. Thanks AC!
After reading all of these posts, the negative and positive I have a better understanding of the AC tryout. Now, because of this information and if my son had been honored with an invite I would at least now be better prepared to sit him down and say:

Son, Congrats this is an honor and you should be proud of yourself as a baseball player. Someone out there has taken notice of you.

Then the conversation would go like this: Son, it is your choice if you would like to attend this tryout but I need to let you know a few things, it will be a lonnnnng day and you will be surrounded by a lot of talented players and you can see how you stack up to these players, during the tryout the majority of the players will only throw 5-10 pitches during this lonnnng day so make sure you understand that before you go.....As your mother, I am willing to do this for you (drive to the tryout/wait hours in the stands) iif you decide not to go then again congrats on the honor of the invite I am proud of you.

Son, but if you decide to go you will be seen by a lot of college/pro scouts at no cost to us except time/gas money......the decision is yours.................this is just one of many avenues to be seen so we either go or wait/find another avenue.

Then I would hope to remember this conversation as I am sitting in the stands for hours on end for those 5-10 pitches and telling myself it is an honor just to be in this arena with these young men and their parents........there are a lot of young men out there that should be here that weren't given the invite so enjoy this moment.

Thanks for the posting/insight and information and to those that got the invites GOOD LUCK, enjoy and relax.
Last edited by oldbat-never
All I know is my son (and his parents!) were thrilled with the invite alone. Are we planning on his making the team? No. Is that our main point of going? No. ( Don't know that we could afford the "Free" team even if he did Roll Eyes) He wants to play ball in college so we'll take every opportunity to get him that chance! We'll go watch him throw his 12-15 pitches and hope he catches someone's eye Smile We're all looking forward to the day (even his grandparents are going!) My husband and I are both Aggies so it'll be nice to be in College Station again.

Momandcpa-good luck to your son as well as anybody else who's going! Is your son a pitcher?
quote:
old pitcher, YOU, would be wrong on the 85% pre selection. It doesn't work like that no matter what any of you think.

Old Pitcher, when a pitcher only throws 3-4 pitches that means he was 88-90 plus range and there is no need to waist his arm since the velocity dictates he stay and pitch in the scrimmage. NOT that it was already determined he stay. He hit the magic number of 90 so why throw anymore when your gonna see him in the scrimmage. COME ON!!

Vance,

Thank you for the clarification. I am glad to know that they don't pre-determine the players. It definitely was an honor for my 08 son to be invited a year early. Now he knows what needs to take place for him to get a chance next year to make the cut.
To add a little more perspective on this popular topic ...

My son never got invited to AC. While we were really disappointed at the time, things ended up working out OK as he's headed off to play ball at the college level next year. One major factor that helped was he was blessed enough to play on a quality summer team where he got the right exposure with the college recruiters over the course of last summer.

We had a few of the Mustangs players go down to Baylor this week and everyone I talked to said it was a good experience if for nothing other than the exposure the players got with college scouts. Also, IMHO, there were several other rising seniors on our team who should have been invited to AC and weren't. That's life though. It's not always a fair deal.

Congrats to those who were invited to AC and for those whose kids weren't, don't be too discouraged.

Bottom line is ... if your son can play, recruiters and scouts will find him - period.
quote:
You're exactly right! There are many, many people who get paid good money...kinda...to make sure the world is covered and the good ones are found. It will happen if it's in God's plan.

Old Pitcher, There are about 40% less scouts now than there were 10 years ago. Organizations have cut back because of Perfect Game and others offering a venue to see everyone at once.

I believe there are some exceptions to you statement. Players in or around metro areas will get seen. No doubt. Guys in rural areas may not because of the lesser amount of scouts. JMO

The reality is that most guys drafted have decisions made on them because of their HS senior season. That is when one needs to perform.
Vance- I do agree that Beaven's arm action is weird, but as a batter I feel that it makes it even more difficult to pick up. As for his out pitch, from what I heard in school ball Beaven struggled with his offspeed, but with his great coach/pitching coach with him, I full expect his slider to be back in form this summer. It truly is one of the nastiest pitches I've ever seen (obviously I may not have seen tons of top young prospects). Beaven also attains a competitive attitude rarely captured by most youth ballplayers I've played with and against.
One of my coaches called me tonight and ask me to read this post. After reading everything let me give you my view of AC. We had 13 players invited to the tryout from the 17 year old team and 2 from the 16 year old team. Before they went I met with a few parents at the DBAT Academy. I told them that from my 2001 team I coached I now have 9 of my 11 pitchers pitching in the minors. Not ONE made the AC team. But that was ok!!!! So I told the parents don’t expect much but there will be a lot of college scouts there. Between 11am and 2pm I received calls from 7 college coaches as they sat in the stands watching the tryouts. They were asking me questions about each kid they liked. Each college asked about the same 4 kids and each coach had about 2 more of my kids they liked. Total of about 12 DBAT kids had colleges call me and ask about them. (Grades, makeup, financial situation, and sign ability) I also had the NC State coach call me today and ask if I could email him a roster and if I would please mark the kids that were invited to the AC games. Saying that if Gehrig (my son) gets invited in 2020 he will go. There is a difference in exposure and over exposure, but this type of exposure is good because it is our local scouts and colleges watching our kids. Now will I let Gehrig go to the Northeast for an All-star game our a Showcase? No, No No!!!! Will I fly him all over the country showcasing? NO!!! If I was to ask AC to do one thing it would be not to have the games during the AABC World Series. It is not fair to ask a kid to make a choice to either leave his team or go play in the games. My only wish is that the games are after the World Series. I realize most teams do not make it that far, but as a coach and the player to have to worry about is he nor isn’t he going if we make it is no fun. Parents other than getting on a good select summer team there are 3 events you should go to if your kid is lucking enough to get invited. Area Code TRYOUT, Aflac Game, Perfect Game Jupiter Florida.
Son was invited to AC tryout last year. He was unable to attend due to an injury, but I still went because I had a friend whose son was trying out and because I am a baseball junkie. I tried to compare my son's ability against the other outfielders that were trying out. I left their feeling that had my son been able to participate he would have had a good chance of making the team (I will never know). I told him to concentrate on getting healthy and get ready for your senior yr. Senior year arrived quickly and he started out pretty slow, things started to click then POP! ACL. Senior season lost to knee surgery. I asked myself if this would be how it ends. Answer: NOPE! June 7th rolled around and his name was called in the 26th rd. He will be attending college and if GOD is willing he will have a healthy and happy season.

Just remember, there is more than one way to get your son seen. We did it and it didn't cost us a penny.
What is getting over looked here is that the AREA CODE is based on RIGHT NOW. Meaning where a player is today. All of these kids have at least a WHOLE year to continue to get stronger and bigger. Some of the kids who have developed early and have mature bodies will show better than a kid who is weaker. Some of the weaker kids will bypass some kids selected. Some of the selected kids will go backwards. Happens every year. No one has a CRYSTAL BALL and we all know that.

What also needs to be mentioned here is that alot of kids do get a chance to play pro ball like KCR says. But most are college Senior signs that are drafted lower in the draft and for very little money. I wouldn't say that it's a negative towards Area Code if they didn't make the AC team in high school. They have simply matured physically over a 5 year period and had good college careers. Most become roster fillers for minor league teams. Which isn't all bad. Its a chance!
quote:
What is getting over looked here is that the AREA CODE is based on RIGHT NOW. Meaning where a player is today. All of these kids have at least a WHOLE year to continue to get stronger and bigger. Some of the kids who have developed early and have mature bodies will show better than a kid who is weaker. Some of the weaker kids will bypass some kids selected. Some of the selected kids will go backwards. Happens every year. No one has a CRYSTAL BALL and we all know that.

What also needs to be mentioned here is that alot of kids do get a chance to play pro ball like KCR says. But most are college Senior signs that are drafted lower in the draft and for very little money. I wouldn't say that it's a negative towards Area Code if they didn't make the AC team in high school. They have simply matured physically over a 5 year period and had good college careers. Most become roster fillers for minor league teams. Which isn't all bad. Its a chance!

Vance,

Question........would you rather have a kid that throws 90mph and can't hit the side of a barn, or a kid that hits his spots, throws 3 pitches for strikes consistantly and only throws 87-88mph?

Just curious is all!
old pitcher. I'll take the kid who throws 87-88 and hits his spots after his SENIOR YEAR in COLLEGE. Send him out for a few thousand dollars and see how he fairs. Every once in a while one of them makes it. I think its important to remember that PRO HITTERS will make a pitcher throw his fastball and if the fastball isn't good enough to beat them then they look for the off speed stuff and wear out the fastball. There is no substitute for velocity and speed. So pro ball takes the best arms and they try real hard to teach them how to hit spots, SOMEWHAT!

I may not even like the kid who throws 90. I'll bet you there were many kids in the USA this year who threw 90 or better and did not get drafted. It boils down to projection of the body and over all ceiling of the player. Throwing 90 just gets more looks, doesn't mean that he is a prospect.

The bottom line is this. Pro ball wants guys who pitch DOWN to 90 MPH and NOT UP TO 90 MPH. Thats why Kersahw went so high and Drabek to. HS kids who pitch down to 90 MPH.

Please accept this as non condensending and with any sarcasim. I have no tone with my typing and am pointed and just answering the question.
Vance,

I did not take your comments as condescending and I hope you didn't take the question that way. I was just curious what you're thoughts were since you seem to know ALOT about this great game! I appreciate your input on this site.

I'm just a dad who is interested in the game and wanting to learn all I can about these things.

I do have a small background in the game, but definitely not to the extent you do.

Thank you sir, and have a Happy Father's Day!
Last edited by Old Pitcher
I too want to make a comment about Vance34. I don't know who he is or anything about his specific background. And I have disagreed, from time to time, with the manner of his responses....not that all of us are careful to eliminate sarcasm. Wink But I have found his posts to be informative, knowledgeable, and his comments usually fall in line with others here that I consider to be baseball "experts".

Sorry Vance34 for referring to you in the third person. I do appreciate your contributions here.

Happy Father's Day, Dads -- especially the new ones! Smile
quote:
Vance,

Would you be so kind as to enlighten us on your background. You definitely seem to know an awful lot about the game and the behind the scene stuff not alot of us know. What is your background? I am very interested in knowing!!

Thank you for your time!

I've been told that Vance34 lives in the Carrollton area and has been known to cheer for the green and gold on occasion.

What say you Vance?
I believe Vance gets the wealth of his baseball knowledge while working in the program booth during AC events.

He secretly wires all 200 scouts to gain confidential info. while collecting participants info. at the gate.
Big Grin

Somehow, the word "skills" has had radio interferance. Goes something like this..........

Scout: (1 of 200 Roll Eyes)

Roger Will-Call, we got a unknown player on the bump showing serious skills. 90 mph plus. 5 skillfully thrown pitches. We are going to use our scouting skills to invite this skillfull player to the skills competition game.

Breaker, Breaker, do you copy on this 9-0?

Roger that?"

Vance:

"Roger that, (interferance).............................. You can get your skills evaluation card right over there by talent table." Razz
1. I sat through the entire Waco AC tryouts as well as the game.
2. It is an honor to be invited and there were a significant number of scouts and college recruiters.
3. Contrary to previous posts, I did see at least 1 ball hit out of the park and another off the top of wall (by the same kid). I also saw a # of superb athletes and players.
4. There were a ton of DBAT guys there. As far as the Slam 'position' players, there were also 3 position players from the Beaumont area (from the Sun Devils) who made the final cut for the game. Also, 1 pitcher.
5. Looking forward to A&M.
quote:
old pitcher. I'll take the kid who throws 87-88 and hits his spots after his SENIOR YEAR in COLLEGE. Send him out for a few thousand dollars and see how he fairs. Every once in a while one of them makes it. I think its important to remember that PRO HITTERS will make a pitcher throw his fastball and if the fastball isn't good enough to beat them then they look for the off speed stuff and wear out the fastball. There is no substitute for velocity and speed. So pro ball takes the best arms and they try real hard to teach them how to hit spots, SOMEWHAT!

I may not even like the kid who throws 90. I'll bet you there were many kids in the USA this year who threw 90 or better and did not get drafted. It boils down to projection of the body and over all ceiling of the player. Throwing 90 just gets more looks, doesn't mean that he is a prospect.

The bottom line is this. Pro ball wants guys who pitch DOWN to 90 MPH and NOT UP TO 90 MPH. Thats why Kersahw went so high and Drabek to. HS kids who pitch down to 90 MPH.

Please accept this as non condensending and with any sarcasim. I have no tone with my typing and am pointed and just answering the question.

This is great stuff, Vance. I especially like this statement. -> -> "So pro ball takes the best arms and they try real hard to teach them how to hit spots, SOMEWHAT!" There was few kids that threw hard this season, but had control problems. I was wondering why the scouts had the interest. I guess its the potential there more than the accuracy. In your opinion, the High end colleges Like Rice,Texas,Baylor etc.. suck up alot of the control pitchers with a good 2nd pitch with a good velocity (90,91 mph) than the higher velocity (92,93) that has control problems and an inconsistent 2nd pitch?

to 2nd part this..

Is the velocity down a little from last year in AC? I was just looking at the previous posts from bullpen you were previously talking about. Seems not alot breaking 90 with 91,92 etc..
Last edited by penja
RR:

More than 1 hit a ball out in game or BP, and more than 1 hit a ball off the wall. I simply referred to the fact that the same kid did both in BP. He also made the final cut and had at least 1 hit of his own in the 'live ' game. Overall, some very good talent (although the depth was 'down' from previous years). I wonder what we'll see in College Station tomorrow.
quote:
Area code in College Station:

Brandon Loy- Rowlett
Jarrod McKinney- Hughes Springs

Both these kids are 08's and were asked to stay for the game. Congratulations to both of them.

Congratulations to both Brandon and Jarrod. That's a huge accomplishment for Juniors to be. I can see why they asked them both to stay though, as they are both incredible talents.

For any of you out there that don't know, Brandon Loy is the son of former University of Texas star Darren Loy. He had a successful pro career as well.

Way to go guys, keep up the good work!
quote:
Originally posted by DBAT 18 GM:
Was just informed that the following players have been invited to play at Area Code in August. I'm sure there will be more local players to be added to the list.

Cameron Rupp (Prestonwood Christian Academy)
Stayton Thomas (Corsicana HS)
Conrad Flynn (Midland Lee HS)
Tant Shepherd (Flower Mound HS)

Congratulations to all!

Blake Beavan
Cole Green
Tant Shepherd

3 Dallas Tigers that I am aware of so far!
If Kaskow did not make the team then he did not do enough butt kissing. He is a better player than all three Tigers mentioned (and you all know that). Still confused about one selection that can't catch the ball.

We cannot afford to lose four players to AC games and expect to win in New Mexico. Who would we pick up.... DBAT players? Doubt it! DBAT GM said they are not for sale. Mad
quote:
We cannot afford to lose four players to AC games and expect to win in New Mexico.

I would focus on winning State and Regionals before planning for Farmington. Even though Linty's team is exceptional, pure 17 teams rarely make it. Teams every year worry about losing some of their top players to AC but it usually works itself out because 99.9% of Connie Mack teams lose at their state or regional tournaments.
Last edited by DP2005
quote:
Originally posted by Train:
If Kaskow did not make the team then he did not do enough butt kissing. He is a better player than all three Tigers mentioned (and you all know that). Still confused about one selection that can't catch the ball.
OMG Eek That's pretty brutal stuff from a Tiger guy. Sounds more like a bitter father of a kid who hasn't played with them all summer.
Last edited by Txdad07
Both Kaskow and Ahrens were at our National in Arkansas. I would of thought both would have been locks to make the Area Codes. I know Texas has a lot of good prospects, but these are two of them! Kaskow has huge hitting ability.

Ahrens is as good as most any infielder in the country and Kaskow's bat ranks with most anyone. I'd bet they both will be scouted very heavily right up to next year's draft.
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
I'd bet they both will be scouted very heavily right up to next year's draft.

Don't worry. If they both attended an AC event all 200 area scouts saw them. Roll Eyes Razz

Note to board......this statement does not reflect the views of any player as the author has no experience nor opinions on player names mentioned. Wink
For me Kaskow was the best PURE HITTER at the Texas AM workout. He will have solid avg to plus raw power with a wood bat but will more than likely be a below avg. hitter when it comes to avg. He lacks Momentum and relys solely on his strength now. He also has a solid avg. arm and could be better if he would use more momentum and block his front side better when throwing. He also is a 2 fielder on a 2-8 scale with 8 being the best. He also is a 7.7 runner in the sixty.

Shepard ran a 6.9 sixty and had a fringy arm with lots of effort with no idea how to use his body optimally when swinging a bat.

Sure it wasn't Jaron Shepard who made it and not the other Shepard?
I am puzzled why Kaskow did not make AC either. I will say this - he is great in one thing that does not show up in showcases - getting CLUTCH hits. I have seen alot of players that can hit for average but cannot get the hits when they are needed most. Jonathon does. He may very well be the most valuable player on the Tigers team because of that attribute. He is mentally one of the strongest baseball players I have seen. Area Code and PG don't accurately measure that.

I am glad that someone mentioned Jaron Shepard. Everyone needs to remember that name. My son Brian plays against Jaron in HS here in East Texas. Jaron goes to Kilgore HS. His dad Ronnie played for the Bluejays back in the 80's and his brother was drafted by the Yankees about 4 years ago. The kid is a great baseball player as well as a great football player (started as a sophomore on Kilgore's state champion football team). Jaron will get the opportunity to play baseball OR football beyond HS - he just has to decide which one. He is a great kid too.
People will criticize Vance for his somewhat technical reports -- but I enjoy seeing his take on these players. I know his intent is not to demean players or their talents in any way.

Kaskow and Shepherd are obviously great HS hitters. I expect they both will hit well in college with metal bats. It is impossible to accurately project their ability to hit with wood (for now).

These kids will do great at the next level. I am excited for Tant and his family.
We had several top Texas players at the National in Arkansas. Of course, they were joined by the best players from nearly every other state including California, Florida, Arizona, Georgia and everywhere else. This will probably bother Vance, but several Scouting Directors and College Coaches told us it was the most talent ever assembled at a high school age event. Here is the list of Texas 07 kids who were in Arkansas. We selected some for the Aflac Game and some others could easily have made it. Sorry if we missed someone on this list.

Kevin Ahrens - INF
Blake Beavan - RHP
Aaron Brewer - RHP
Drake Britton - LHP
Tyler Carpenter - C
Alex Carrow - OF
Nicholas Christopher - RHP
Paul Demny - RHP
Johnny Dishon - OF
Tim Ferguson - INF
Conrad Flynn - RHP
Michael Fuda - INF
Micah Gibbs – C
Jace Hamilton – OF
Sean Hoelscher – INF, RHP
Terrance Jackson - OF
Jonathan Kaskow – 1B
Kevin Keyes – OF
Kendall Korbal - RHP
Joseph Leftridge - OF
Relly Mercurio – 1B
Andrew Moore - OF
Andrew Nettune - C
Braden Riley - INF
Jaron Shepherd - OF
Tant Shepherd - INF
Brian Shore - RHP
Travis Smith - RHP
Rafael Thomas - OF
Jordan Waters - OF
Chris Withrow - RHP

TimeToStepUp, Do you really believe that, or are you talking about just the Texas players?
Good stuff PG. No I don't have a problem with it. Good info! Now tell us who has the best tools.

rate their

ARM
HIT
POWER FREQUENCY
DEFENSE
RUN ABILITY

and their

FASTBALL
CURVEBALL
SLIDER
CHANGE
CONTROL
COMMAND
MOVEMENT
PITCH ABILITY

Then tell me how many of them you see in the 1st round next year.

Then tell me how many have a cup of coffe in the big leagues.

Then tell me how many of them are impact big league guys.

Is there anyone left on the list?
quote:
I can catch in the bullpen too and that don't make me a catcher in the big leagues either!

I must admit that is a pretty good line, athough I don't remember calling myself a big league catcher in the same sence Vance is calling himself a major league scout. In fact, I never once mentioned anything about my career in baseball to validate any knowledge I may have in the game.

If I came on here and continued to preach the way the big league game should be played on the basis that I was a major leaguer, maybe that comment would be justified. But, I never did such.

I just think if someone considers themselves a major league scout by profession, they should'nt be embarrassed to state their name in full. Maybe the whole truth isn't really told.

Either way, I could care less. If Vance wants to come on here and continue to post evaluations on players according to the way he sees it.............great.

If readers are interested.............great.

But again, a mystery man gives me no credibility. Maybe I have no credibility.

Either way, I don't give a rats *** cause I'm going fishing tonight and the beer is cold.
quote:

I suggest that you not take everything on here as a personal attack! I have read many good things and a few that I don't particularly agree with, however as stated before emotions can not be indicated through an online forum. Also, it seems as though every time someone makes a crack or remark, you take offense to it.

My advice is to go fishing, drink a beer and get a perspective that this is all just conversation and not an endless attack on you.

Just my opinion. And you know what that's worth.
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
quote:

I suggest that you not take everything on here as a personal attack! I have read many good things and a few that I don't particularly agree with, however as stated before emotions can not be indicated through an online forum. Also, it seems as though every time someone makes a crack or remark, you take offense to it.

My advice is to go fishing, drink a beer and get a perspective that this is all just conversation and not an endless attack on you.

Just my opinion. And you know what that's worth.

Trust me, I don't loose much sleep over any comment made towards me or about my knowledge compared to others.

I personally enjoy this forum for entertainment purposes and shock value mostly.

It actually spices things up when someone throws something out there that seems bogus to me and valid to others.

Regardless, don't think I'm stressing out over anything JAFO.

Just my opinion, if that's worth anything. Roll Eyes

Oh, and fishing just got cancelled. I got a call that I will be entertaining customers in the Jackie Robinson suite tonight.

Anyone interested in baseball dialogue, just drop by. We have AC (and that don't stand for Area Code) up there. Razz
Mr Ford through you have most paying prospects covered you have left off I would say a good %
of kids you have not seen or heard of because there is no need to use your network for recruiting purposes.I would say a majority of coaches in the area preach save your money.I know for fact we(BBI) have out numbered PG scouts(D-1) at certain league games through out summer.How many southern(D-1 MAJOR)were seen active in Ga.....Most have been seen visiting(scouting) games in area.
In the General forum, under "Need direction after major disappointment", bbscout, a long-time scout and poster here provided this gem, that I thought some of you might appreciate the perspective.

With his presumed permission......

quote:
This is a very interesting thread. The reason it is interesting is that it was my tryout. There were 47 players at the tryout and each of them was invited by a group of 8 scouts including myself. The kids were from Oregon, washington and Idaho and they were what we consider to be the best 47 players from the 3 states. Being invited means that you are a fine player or believe me you would not be there as poitics does not mean s**t to me. There were no walk ons, as you had to be invited to try out.

There were an additional 5 kids that were invited that did not make the tryout. 2 of them were with their summer teams and would have faced problems with their coaches if they had left their team. One pitcher had a tender shoulder and could not make it. The 3 of them all called me ahead of time and I took this into consideration, and they have been invited to play for us as they are all prospects. 2 other guys just did not show up and won't be with the Area Code Team.

The catcher in question is the best high school catcher in the Northwest and is still not sure he can make it as his team is playing at the same time as the Area Code event.I saw him play 5 times this spring as he was a teamate of a 1st round pick that I was scouting, so my evaluation comes from watching him play in 5 games and get about 20 AB's and catch a hard throwing right hander who was drafted by the Mariners.

Your son is a very good player, and that is why he was invited in the first place. He was edged out, but as far as I can see he is one of the 4 best catchers in the Northwest and that covers a lot of high school catchers.

The Area Code games do not charge the kids one cent to participate, so whatever money Student Sports makes does not come from the players or their families. They charge the scouts and college coaches admission to the games, but we are all on expense accounts so ......who cares?

I invited another player about 6 years ago who was also invited twice and I cut him the first time and it was very hard on my love life at home, as the player I cut was my son. He got edged out that year too, and I caught he l l for it at home.
TimeToStepUp,

Offers are flying this week in Georgia. Probably at least 200 College Coaches here. This place is absolutely crawling with the top Southern College Coaches. That includes most of the Big 12 Schools! Next week is even bigger! The players don't pay us a dime!

By the way, it is almost impossible for us to not hear about any top player in the country. There are many who disagree with our opinion of those players... but the track record speaks for itself!

Besides anyone who would not report their best players to us is not in it for the players! It's that simple!!! Same thing holds true for East Coast Pro, Area Codes, and any other organization that can help players.
IMO, nobody in the US does more for helping kids get recruited than Jerry Ford and PG. The fact that he is smart and resourceful enough to make a living at baseball while also doing a good thing is a bonus in my opinion. I support PG fully and thank him for what he does for baseball players. I also greatly appreciate all he does for the HSBBW. He is a smart businessman and a good person. Hats off to you.

Eric Ridener
quote:
IMO, nobody in the US does more for helping kids get recruited than Jerry Ford and PG. The fact that he is smart and resourceful enough to make a living at baseball while also doing a good thing is a bonus in my opinion. I support PG fully and thank him for what he does for baseball players. I also greatly appreciate all he does for the HSBBW. He is a smart businessman and a good person. Hats off to you.

Eric Ridener

Eric,

I second that opinion!!!

PG is a great opportunity for our kids. Enough said.

Thanks Jerry.
QUOTE:
== IMO, nobody in the US does more for helping kids get recruited than Jerry Ford and PG. The fact that he is smart and resourceful enough to make a living at baseball while also doing a good thing is a bonus in my opinion. I support PG fully and thank him for what he does for baseball players. I also greatly appreciate all he does for the HSBBW. He is a smart businessman and a good person. Hats off to you.

Eric Ridener ==

Old Pitcher already seconded the opinion, so I will 3rd, 4th, and 5th it! Hats off to PG and Jerry Ford, for how hard they work on behalf of the PLAYERS!

Julie

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.