Skip to main content

I am puzzled why Kaskow did not make AC either. I will say this - he is great in one thing that does not show up in showcases - getting CLUTCH hits. I have seen alot of players that can hit for average but cannot get the hits when they are needed most. Jonathon does. He may very well be the most valuable player on the Tigers team because of that attribute. He is mentally one of the strongest baseball players I have seen. Area Code and PG don't accurately measure that.

I am glad that someone mentioned Jaron Shepard. Everyone needs to remember that name. My son Brian plays against Jaron in HS here in East Texas. Jaron goes to Kilgore HS. His dad Ronnie played for the Bluejays back in the 80's and his brother was drafted by the Yankees about 4 years ago. The kid is a great baseball player as well as a great football player (started as a sophomore on Kilgore's state champion football team). Jaron will get the opportunity to play baseball OR football beyond HS - he just has to decide which one. He is a great kid too.
People will criticize Vance for his somewhat technical reports -- but I enjoy seeing his take on these players. I know his intent is not to demean players or their talents in any way.

Kaskow and Shepherd are obviously great HS hitters. I expect they both will hit well in college with metal bats. It is impossible to accurately project their ability to hit with wood (for now).

These kids will do great at the next level. I am excited for Tant and his family.
We had several top Texas players at the National in Arkansas. Of course, they were joined by the best players from nearly every other state including California, Florida, Arizona, Georgia and everywhere else. This will probably bother Vance, but several Scouting Directors and College Coaches told us it was the most talent ever assembled at a high school age event. Here is the list of Texas 07 kids who were in Arkansas. We selected some for the Aflac Game and some others could easily have made it. Sorry if we missed someone on this list.

Kevin Ahrens - INF
Blake Beavan - RHP
Aaron Brewer - RHP
Drake Britton - LHP
Tyler Carpenter - C
Alex Carrow - OF
Nicholas Christopher - RHP
Paul Demny - RHP
Johnny Dishon - OF
Tim Ferguson - INF
Conrad Flynn - RHP
Michael Fuda - INF
Micah Gibbs – C
Jace Hamilton – OF
Sean Hoelscher – INF, RHP
Terrance Jackson - OF
Jonathan Kaskow – 1B
Kevin Keyes – OF
Kendall Korbal - RHP
Joseph Leftridge - OF
Relly Mercurio – 1B
Andrew Moore - OF
Andrew Nettune - C
Braden Riley - INF
Jaron Shepherd - OF
Tant Shepherd - INF
Brian Shore - RHP
Travis Smith - RHP
Rafael Thomas - OF
Jordan Waters - OF
Chris Withrow - RHP

TimeToStepUp, Do you really believe that, or are you talking about just the Texas players?
Good stuff PG. No I don't have a problem with it. Good info! Now tell us who has the best tools.

rate their

ARM
HIT
POWER FREQUENCY
DEFENSE
RUN ABILITY

and their

FASTBALL
CURVEBALL
SLIDER
CHANGE
CONTROL
COMMAND
MOVEMENT
PITCH ABILITY

Then tell me how many of them you see in the 1st round next year.

Then tell me how many have a cup of coffe in the big leagues.

Then tell me how many of them are impact big league guys.

Is there anyone left on the list?
quote:
I can catch in the bullpen too and that don't make me a catcher in the big leagues either!

I must admit that is a pretty good line, athough I don't remember calling myself a big league catcher in the same sence Vance is calling himself a major league scout. In fact, I never once mentioned anything about my career in baseball to validate any knowledge I may have in the game.

If I came on here and continued to preach the way the big league game should be played on the basis that I was a major leaguer, maybe that comment would be justified. But, I never did such.

I just think if someone considers themselves a major league scout by profession, they should'nt be embarrassed to state their name in full. Maybe the whole truth isn't really told.

Either way, I could care less. If Vance wants to come on here and continue to post evaluations on players according to the way he sees it.............great.

If readers are interested.............great.

But again, a mystery man gives me no credibility. Maybe I have no credibility.

Either way, I don't give a rats *** cause I'm going fishing tonight and the beer is cold.
quote:

I suggest that you not take everything on here as a personal attack! I have read many good things and a few that I don't particularly agree with, however as stated before emotions can not be indicated through an online forum. Also, it seems as though every time someone makes a crack or remark, you take offense to it.

My advice is to go fishing, drink a beer and get a perspective that this is all just conversation and not an endless attack on you.

Just my opinion. And you know what that's worth.
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
quote:

I suggest that you not take everything on here as a personal attack! I have read many good things and a few that I don't particularly agree with, however as stated before emotions can not be indicated through an online forum. Also, it seems as though every time someone makes a crack or remark, you take offense to it.

My advice is to go fishing, drink a beer and get a perspective that this is all just conversation and not an endless attack on you.

Just my opinion. And you know what that's worth.

Trust me, I don't loose much sleep over any comment made towards me or about my knowledge compared to others.

I personally enjoy this forum for entertainment purposes and shock value mostly.

It actually spices things up when someone throws something out there that seems bogus to me and valid to others.

Regardless, don't think I'm stressing out over anything JAFO.

Just my opinion, if that's worth anything. Roll Eyes

Oh, and fishing just got cancelled. I got a call that I will be entertaining customers in the Jackie Robinson suite tonight.

Anyone interested in baseball dialogue, just drop by. We have AC (and that don't stand for Area Code) up there. Razz
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
Mr Ford through you have most paying prospects covered you have left off I would say a good %
of kids you have not seen or heard of because there is no need to use your network for recruiting purposes.I would say a majority of coaches in the area preach save your money.I know for fact we(BBI) have out numbered PG scouts(D-1) at certain league games through out summer.How many southern(D-1 MAJOR)were seen active in Ga.....Most have been seen visiting(scouting) games in area.
In the General forum, under "Need direction after major disappointment", bbscout, a long-time scout and poster here provided this gem, that I thought some of you might appreciate the perspective.

With his presumed permission......

quote:
This is a very interesting thread. The reason it is interesting is that it was my tryout. There were 47 players at the tryout and each of them was invited by a group of 8 scouts including myself. The kids were from Oregon, washington and Idaho and they were what we consider to be the best 47 players from the 3 states. Being invited means that you are a fine player or believe me you would not be there as poitics does not mean s**t to me. There were no walk ons, as you had to be invited to try out.

There were an additional 5 kids that were invited that did not make the tryout. 2 of them were with their summer teams and would have faced problems with their coaches if they had left their team. One pitcher had a tender shoulder and could not make it. The 3 of them all called me ahead of time and I took this into consideration, and they have been invited to play for us as they are all prospects. 2 other guys just did not show up and won't be with the Area Code Team.

The catcher in question is the best high school catcher in the Northwest and is still not sure he can make it as his team is playing at the same time as the Area Code event.I saw him play 5 times this spring as he was a teamate of a 1st round pick that I was scouting, so my evaluation comes from watching him play in 5 games and get about 20 AB's and catch a hard throwing right hander who was drafted by the Mariners.

Your son is a very good player, and that is why he was invited in the first place. He was edged out, but as far as I can see he is one of the 4 best catchers in the Northwest and that covers a lot of high school catchers.

The Area Code games do not charge the kids one cent to participate, so whatever money Student Sports makes does not come from the players or their families. They charge the scouts and college coaches admission to the games, but we are all on expense accounts so ......who cares?

I invited another player about 6 years ago who was also invited twice and I cut him the first time and it was very hard on my love life at home, as the player I cut was my son. He got edged out that year too, and I caught he l l for it at home.
TimeToStepUp,

Offers are flying this week in Georgia. Probably at least 200 College Coaches here. This place is absolutely crawling with the top Southern College Coaches. That includes most of the Big 12 Schools! Next week is even bigger! The players don't pay us a dime!

By the way, it is almost impossible for us to not hear about any top player in the country. There are many who disagree with our opinion of those players... but the track record speaks for itself!

Besides anyone who would not report their best players to us is not in it for the players! It's that simple!!! Same thing holds true for East Coast Pro, Area Codes, and any other organization that can help players.
IMO, nobody in the US does more for helping kids get recruited than Jerry Ford and PG. The fact that he is smart and resourceful enough to make a living at baseball while also doing a good thing is a bonus in my opinion. I support PG fully and thank him for what he does for baseball players. I also greatly appreciate all he does for the HSBBW. He is a smart businessman and a good person. Hats off to you.

Eric Ridener
quote:
IMO, nobody in the US does more for helping kids get recruited than Jerry Ford and PG. The fact that he is smart and resourceful enough to make a living at baseball while also doing a good thing is a bonus in my opinion. I support PG fully and thank him for what he does for baseball players. I also greatly appreciate all he does for the HSBBW. He is a smart businessman and a good person. Hats off to you.

Eric Ridener

Eric,

I second that opinion!!!

PG is a great opportunity for our kids. Enough said.

Thanks Jerry.
QUOTE:
== IMO, nobody in the US does more for helping kids get recruited than Jerry Ford and PG. The fact that he is smart and resourceful enough to make a living at baseball while also doing a good thing is a bonus in my opinion. I support PG fully and thank him for what he does for baseball players. I also greatly appreciate all he does for the HSBBW. He is a smart businessman and a good person. Hats off to you.

Eric Ridener ==

Old Pitcher already seconded the opinion, so I will 3rd, 4th, and 5th it! Hats off to PG and Jerry Ford, for how hard they work on behalf of the PLAYERS!

Julie

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.