Skip to main content

How do D1 colleges treat out of state scholarships as it applies to their 11.7 total? Meaning is tuition for public out state players considered roughly a 50% scholarship (even though dollar wise it may be more) thus leaving another half for the college to give out to another recruit ?? Sorry if I am confusing. I am not concerned about who receives more $$ in these examples only the actual scholarships remaining.

Example:

State University (D1) offers an in state player tuition $10,000 (a fictional number) which is roughly a half or 50% baseball scholarship with the player to pay for room and board $10,000 thus totaling $20,000 for the year. The school has remaining a half or 50% to offer another player. So 11.7 - .5 is 11.2 remaining.

Now a player (from out of state) receives tuition, but the value since he is out of state is say $18,000.. Even though the monies make the scholarship worth more than 50% (in this case almost 65%) the question is,

Is that out state scholarship considered a half when the school calculates how many scholarships it has used out of its D1 max of 11.7 thus 11.7 - .5 =11.2??? or is it 65% so 11.7 - .65 = 11.05 remaining???

Is the program being deducted from its funds the out state higher dollars even though it’s the same cost wise internally?????

Please provide your words of wisdom. I thought this might be helpful to know before pursuing out of state colleges.

Thank you.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It all depends on the school:

Some will have the student become a resident of their state

There are some who have reciprocal arrangements with neighboring states

The best bet is to ask the schools you have interest in---they can make you aware of their special circumstances

My son was from the east coast and went to college in New Mexico with a very good situation---they wanted him and they made it work
Last edited by TRhit
Wow, I posted a reply and I must have deleted it.

The percentage of the 11.7 has nothing to do with being in state or out of state. 50% is 50% of one scholarship no matter where you come from. The coach gets a budget to work with and it is calculated on average cost of attendance. You pay the balance depending on where you come from.

You can obtain residency, but for most states it is a year after you have a legal address and proof of residency (driver's licence).

If the coach really wants you, they will make it work.

Just keep in mind that the coach only is allowed to award so many scholarships (27) with 25% minimum.
3FG,
Oh thank you, I thought I was losing it.

BTW, some schools waive out of state tuition, so yes all schools do things differently.

But the bottom line is, NCAA scholarship percentages have nothing to do with school costs.

Don't be so concerned with that at this time, just contact the schools you are interested, in state or out of state.
Although the number of scholarships is not affected by residency or not, many teams have a budget that is affected by it. In short, the budget may be charged the amount of scholarship, so that a 50% in state takes less out of the baseball budget than 50% out of state. Coaches in these situations do a balancing act with available scholly's and available dollars.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.