Skip to main content

Just wanted to check-in with everyone and see what is happening at their son's school regarding fall ball , the current practice situation, classes and their coaches/school's outlook for the regular season in 2021.

I will go first:

my son is in Cincy OH and they are having practices and staggered workouts. They hope to start intrasquads mid - late month.   Classes are 60% in class with under 20 kids per class and the rest online (smaller size school). They are testing the team every other week. So far no one has tested positve.(knock on wood)

They are going forward with a business as usual plan for the 2021 season (subject to change....)

wish the best for everyone !

Have a happy healthy Labor day!

Last edited by fishnsail
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mine is at Iowa. They are shut down through next week along with all athletics after 92 athletes tested positive last week. They were a week into practices, but only had about 15 out of 40 players able to attend during part of that time so it's hard to tell what the "normal" plan for practice in a pandemic was.

Son is doing most of his classes online, which isn't unusual because they tend to schedule a lot of online classes to allow for travel. The county where his school is had about 1,000 positive tests last week. We'll see if they can get it under control. He's now driving for Door Dash out of sheer boredom and taking up golf. 

My son coach in Tenn...  First week was a rocky start as I believe an outbreak put a hold on planned small group team activities, among other school things.  The second week, activity resumed.  Then, last week, rain interfered at least a day or two.

I am generally not in the conspiracy theory crowd.  That said, golf participation is seeing a major resurgence!!  Those sneaky b@$+@rds.  

And, under the heading of "welcome to Tennessee", son showed up to the field early to find that one of the other coaches had set up hunting target in the OF, shooting his compound bow from the dugout  .  We need a better emoji for this.

Last edited by cabbagedad

My guy is playing golf too and loving it.

The UI situation is, um.... well... it is what it is. I hope they get things under control soon.

My son's school is online only. No in-person baseball activities permitted, which frankly sucks as he is a captain this year and was looking forward to running practices.

Trying to remain optimistic about the spring.

FAU baseball just finished first week of practice. Everything is done outdoors.   All of the players take online  classes.   All the players  stay within their group. No one has tested  positive. I understand that it was a tremendous effort on everyone's part to put a plan together that would work from the University President down to the medical team.

FAU gave options to all student to physically attend or take online. This more or less helps the spread of COVID.  Only 23 cases, 1 faculty.

Last edited by TPM

They are completely online with the exception of labs which I don't believe any take. They are tested every 5 days. The football team is a mess, but very few of the other athletic programs have had many positive tests, at least that's what I hear. Baseball team is clear, they started practice on Monday with live ABs. Scrimmaging starts on Monday and it looks like that's what they plan to do most of fall as they need to see live play and game action before they get shut down again if it happens. 

The staff made it very clear that everybody is starting out virus free - if you want to go out and party, enjoy yourselves, but there are more guys on the roster than there are supposed to be, we're not going to wait for you to get healthy to evaluate your role. Roster sizes may have changed, the size of the travel roster did not. 

My catcher son is at KCU. They are holding regular classes.  He said they are 1 of 5 schools in the conference with no Covid cases. They have been having mixed groups for working out, which started this week.  He works out Monday, Wednesday, Friday with weights with a group that includes at least a football player and softball player.  I think they have more in the group, just not sure how many more or from which other sports.

I know he has caught a few pens for some of the pitchers, but the players aren't supposed to be throwing too much because the HC wants to save arms. They appear to be operating under the plan of business as usual for Spring 2021.

Unlike others here, he hasn't taken up golf.  But he likes to skateboard and hang out in his hammock.  He's enjoying the weather there outside of the heat and humidity of Florida lol

I hope others and their sons stay safe!

Son is back to normal, per se.  His apartment mate tested positive first monday there so he had to move out for 14 days.  He just went to practice on Wednesday.  Good thing was there were 5 guys in his secondary quarantine group and 4 were pitchers so they ran, worked out, and threw every day.  Only thing he missed was a few times of batting.  They are all back now but I think they will test again next week.  Hope no one is positive that test.  All classes are online.  One will go back to live next week.

Son just finished his first two weeks of college.  His school has only 2400 students and only 3 have tested positive for Covid.   I am not sure how many on-campus though - its 2 to a room and all are full plus a healthy off campus community.  Baseball doesn't start until next Saturday and I think that is good because it's giving him a chance to ease into his classes.   He has been throwing and hitting with the majority of the First Years.  The full team won't be on campus in the fall - prob 3/4's which is good in that it gives him more time in front of the coaches, more opportunity.  He's an LHP but is hoping he gets some reps at 1B (D3).  He's coming off a sore shoulder and says he's at 95% so hopeful they start the pitchers off slowly which I would expect them to do.   Even with Covid restrictions he seems to having a great time, maybe too good.  

My son hasn't started yet, moves in Sep 12 then gets tested, physical, etc. and everyone in modified quarantine until Sep 21 when they are supposed to start practices. Classes are mostly online and only upperclassmen, student athletes, and limited exempted underclassmen are on campus this quarter. It will be a different experience for sure...

Last edited by BBMomAZ

My son is a freshman in New York. They've been in school two weeks, most classes are online and the number of kids living on campus was sharply reduced. They get temperature checks daily and virus checks every two weeks. So far cases on campus and in the surrounding county have been low.

Last week they started back in the athletic facility getting baseline info on player condition. Next week lifting begins and they'll be on the field  as a team the following week. (Players have been meeting to throw on the field regularly, but informally.)  The school uses coded wrist bands to manage a very strict schedule for players inside the weight training facility.

Hoping it all works and everyone stays safe. My son is really eager for baseball to fully ramp up because without, and without parties, college so far is pretty boring.

Several problems with the new golf craze:

1. Baseball players love to hit off their back foot and that makes for a golfing adventure.

2. As he borrowed my clubs he proudly told me that he broke the head off his own club!

3. BB players like to measure how far they hit everything vs how many are in between the trees.

But now I have someone to play with.

Campus is closed, so he's at home.  Yep, lots of golf, it's our family sport.  He gets frustrated because other people in the family work at golf, and while he often wins, it's a sport where he's not necessarily the best in the family.  Maybe it's the back foot thing.  Since golf has been open throughout the pandemic and is something to do, I've gone a lot to watch, and I'm learning to like it, I can even watch it on t.v. now.  In fact, it was pretty exciting the other day, to have a choice of live baseball, basketball, and golf to watch.

I live on a golf course. My backyard is the sixth hole. They shut every golf course in 3 counties for months. Ours is a private course, members only. When the public courses opened, unless you lived at same address together, you had to get a cart per person. 

I get the logic, but it was stupid.   IMO

It was a shame because most guys here play baseball and golf, it would have given them something to do before they went to play summer ball.

Last edited by TPM
@Iowamom23 posted:

Mine is at Iowa.... He's now driving for Door Dash out of sheer boredom and taking up golf. 

I would check on the eligibility to be able to "work" for anyone with NCAA rules. Not sure if it has since changed, but even as a walk on at Tn for Football back in the day, we had to sign waivers to not work, year round. Which made zero sense. You couldn't get money from anyone but your parents. I guess that way you're not getting paid $500/hr by an alumni to house sit or mow the grass or whatever. But I would double check with the ability to work. I hope it has changed.  

UPDATE.

Oh good it did change!!: Google

https://www.nmnathletics.com/s...7.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=5200

NCAA Link

Last edited by Eokerholm
@Eokerholm posted:

I would check on the eligibility to be able to "work" for anyone with NCAA rules. Not sure if it has since changed, but even as a walk on at Tn for Football back in the day, we had to sign waivers to not work, year round. Which made zero sense. You couldn't get money from anyone but your parents. I guess that way you're not getting paid $500/hr by an alumni to house sit or mow the grass or whatever. But I would double check with the ability to work. I hope it has changed.  

UPDATE.

Oh good it did change!!: Google

https://www.nmnathletics.com/s...7.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=5200

NCAA Link

Yea, my kid a rule follower. He's checked with coaches on working in the past, so I'm sure he did this time too.

I'm just glad they changed it. It was a stupid rule and difficult on players and families.

This was 1988, so back in ancient times, but still. That was stupid. Football is full of scholarships, but the extracurricular spending is silly.  Baseball is tougher with 11.7 and still having to pay for a portion of school, etc.

Imagine, you can't go to McDonald's, a movie, or take a person on a date without money from your parents. No sourcing of money outside of your family. I had to donate plasma for cash to get spending money.

Son is a freshman at a D3. They started school 8/10. They started working out in groups of 5 players, no baseball activity. Then after two weeks they are working out in groups of ten three days a week and baseball practice three days a week. The goal is to start inter squad 9/19 if everything is fine. We will not know until then if parents are ok to even watch. So far no COVID.

Son is at a JUCO.   Things are pretty normal with most classes in person.   There are a couple of classes that are split between virtual and in person.  Baseball practice is going strong.   The Fall schedule has been reduced as far as the number of games.  I believe they will play about half the number of Fall games this year.  

Older son on a leave on absence from grad school, will finish next spring. Just finished hiking John Muir Trail. No fall program school all online. 

Younger see started online only last week and  until Sept 24 when on campu "opens"up. Coaches working with "local" kids who are off campus but but near school. Mine is not local so working out with friends and going to campus on weekends. 

Funny they both started to play golf this summer too! 

"Few words prettier in the English language than today's call from my son, "I went 3 for 3 with a triple and a RBI""

I am aware that it is a baseball web site, but you are probably not as old as I am. After years of experience I have found that the prettiest words in the language are most probably "Dad I got a job!"

IMO

The kid is doing pretty well. Fitting in well at his new school. Coaches seem to be happy he is there. Threw a bullpen the other day after not having done so for a couple of years. Hit 88 with 11" of run on his FB. 88 is nothing to brag about except that's just stepping on the mound and throwing. Has been hitting well. Hit well over the summer facing very good pitching, some of it in the 93-96 range. Seems to have found a home.

Said he was coming home this weekend then didn't. When asked why said was informed if he did would have to quarantine for 7 days. Also said that if the coach finds out they have been somewhere not "approved", like a party I'd assume, they are suspended for the fall.

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad

My son is at a D1 in TX.  They have been in a routine for about 3 weeks.  Lift at 6am, report to the field offices for online classes (coach asked them to all opt for online), eats lunch then back to the field at 2 to throw, meetings a few times a week.  He is enjoying it but exhausted. They start actual practice next week.  They had mandatory meetings over the Labor Day weekend to keep them all in town and had their normal weekly routines on Monday.

@baseballhs posted:

My son is at a D1 in TX.  They have been in a routine for about 3 weeks.  Lift at 6am, report to the field offices for online classes (coach asked them to all opt for online), eats lunch then back to the field at 2 to throw, meetings a few times a week.  He is enjoying it but exhausted. They start actual practice next week.  They had mandatory meetings over the Labor Day weekend to keep them all in town and had their normal weekly routines on Monday.

They do their normal routines every day. Last year we scheduled Christmas dinner around when my son could get someone to throw with him.

Many schools take the second round of Covid tests again next week so it will be interesting to see.  For many the first round was before they started practicing.  So if they failed it was just their roommates who were affected.  Now if someone fails it will be a large group and maybe the entire team that shuts down for 14 days.

@PitchingFan posted:

Many schools take the second round of Covid tests again next week so it will be interesting to see.  For many the first round was before they started practicing.  So if they failed it was just their roommates who were affected.  Now if someone fails it will be a large group and maybe the entire team that shuts down for 14 days.

I don't think that programs are making teams shut down for a full 14 days. If the school has an active reliable tracing on cases, it should not get too much out of control.  Its really a delicate balance between keeping everyone safe and productive practices

I am wondering how it will affect those in the colder climates, though many have indoor facilities.

No fall baseball. Classes are all online, though he is on campus. Gyms are closed, so he is running and doing calisthenics instead of weights. He played ball all summer in a wood bat league, and he and his teammates have organized a few pickup games with no coaches involved. He's normally a CF, but has gotten back to playing some MIF. Offense (as a Junior) seems to have settled into a type. High average, line drive, gap power guy. Run scorer, base stealer. Has tried the launch angle thing, but ends up with too many flyouts. 

It's a pretty rigorous school, so no problem with him staying occupied. He was lucky enough to fall into an interesting internship with a start up during the summer, and is able to continue working part time on line, and looks to be lining up another internship for next summer already. 

He has had interest from the Northwoods league for two years running as a fill in, but it's impossible to do that and work at the same time. He's a pretty realistic kid, so has chosen the work, though he loves baseball. He's not sure that baseball loves him back enough for him to go all in.

We'll see what the spring brings. I have low expectations, and have already more or less written off Junior year. Will definitely make an attempt to fly out and see him play as a senior. 

The ones I know of that I personally know kids involved in for D1 and juco has in place that if a player tests positive then it is 14 days.  Son just sat out for 14 days because they went from the day test results were received not taken and it took a few days the first week because of testing an entire school.  If the school has small groups and no entire team interaction then they can just make that small group quarantine but if it is doing large group stuff or intermingling small groups then it could be the entire team. 

Does club ball at Iowa State as a grad student count?

First outing was apparently promising, 2IP, 7Ks.

He's TAing a fully online class and his classes are fully online, but I'm not sure what the general covid plan is there. Sounds like they've got clusters of positives, and Story County and whichever county University of Iowa are in are apparently the epicenters in Iowa.

@jacjacatk posted:

Does club ball at Iowa State as a grad student count?

First outing was apparently promising, 2IP, 7Ks.

He's TAing a fully online class and his classes are fully online, but I'm not sure what the general covid plan is there. Sounds like they've got clusters of positives, and Story County and whichever county University of Iowa are in are apparently the epicenters in Iowa.

Dropped 3rd strike safe?

*MLB record is 4 in an inning but google says a pitcher had 5 once in a pre-season inning.

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.