Skip to main content

How many homeruns has your son hit so far this year, including all teams, school and travel? Also what team is he on in school and what grade is he in?

If you are a player, same question. I just didn't want to say "you or your son" and have all the pappas tell me their beer league stories. Smile

Also as long as I am asking: what defensive positions does he play and what is his weight and height?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by sluggo:
How many homeruns has your son hit so far this year, including all teams, school and travel? Also what team is he on in school and what grade is he in?

If you are a player, same question. I just didn't want to say "you or your son" and have all the pappas tell me their beer league stories. Smile

Also as long as I am asking: what defensive positions does he play and what is his weight and height?

Eight in sixty-two games between middle school and travel. The six in travel were hit out of legitimate full size parks. The two middle school homers went over at 275 feet. All the travel homers were within twenty feet of the line so they were 310-340 foot homers. The one time he hit one 360 it was to the gap in front of the 365 sign. He's 5'8", 130. He played middle infield and all three outfield positions.
Last edited by TG
coach may -
I was thinking the same thing... like "is that picture from the 70's or what?"

#3 son, our only power hitter, is 15 years old, 5'6" tall, 170 lbs, played his second year of varsity ball as a sophomore. (He's got a late birthday - doesn't turn 16 til September.) Hit 7 homeruns and 12 doubles in the high school season. Had a couple big ones - they're all fun, but sometimes they're REALLY BIG! Hit a couple more for his travel team this summer.
quote:
Originally posted by TG:
Vanderbilt has an all black uniform they wear sometimes. I agree with you though.

That may have been a few years ago because I don't know any D1 team who wears black pants. YUCK!

We played a team this year that wore orange pants and another that wore bright yellow. I felt sorry for their kids.
Maybe we need a thread for "worst uniforms you've ever seen/worn"!

We played a team this summer that wore white jerseys with blue pants. The pants were top-stitched with white thread... think bad leisure suit from the late 70's and you'll get a good visual!

At CABA we saw a team that had a different pair of striped pants each day - big, wide stripes - one day blue with red, the next day red with blue, etc.- very odd looking. But then I also noticed the Japanese team was wearing very wide stripes as well - white with navy stripes - so maybe that's just the look of the future?
I am proud to say that my son has hit 0 homeruns in his career. He is our 2 hole hitter. He gives the leadoff guy a chance to steal 2B and has led our team in BA and doubles for the last 3 years. He hit one about 280' this year at Nationals as he is starting to grow. With constant tweaking of his swing, he should start driving the ball even more.

Right now, he is 13...5'9", 125lbs. He has grown 5-6" since the spring and is now starting to put on weight.
I can't resist any longer. Prepare for some bragging!

My 12 Year old son hit 18 in travel ball this year in 179 at bats. All over 250+ fences. 2 were over 300 ft fences. He also hit a dinger over a 330 ft fence down the line when he was filling in for some friends of ours on a 14U team. The 12U was a high national level team or major if you use USSSA rankings.

This isn't counting the 8 he hit in LL or the 6 he hit in Cooperstown. 200 ft fences are way too short.

Let me know if you want to talk RBI's or average, I have plenty more to brag about. Or size or defence.

One proud Papa. clapping
May I interrupt the quantity discussion with a quality statement. My guys are four years apart and never before played on the same team. That changed a few weeks ago when they played together down in the Dominican Republic. The offensive highlight of the series was the day they each went deep. That was pretty cool. What made it even better was the fact that they played on the field their coach grew up on and he never went deep there until he played professionally. That was pretty cool too. Of course at least one of them has been trying to repeat the feat ever since, thus leading to my response to TR's earlier post.
Donut, it's a cool thing watching kids rack up the HR's at 12. Congrats
My 16 and 13 year olds racked up big homer numbers at 12 also. 250ft fences and big barrell bats are a good HR combo at 12.
Now at 13+ those big HR numbers are going to vanish. It's time to start thinking Hit it Hard, Gaps, Oppo etc.. I would suggest you make your 12 aware that the HR is going to take a seat way in the back of the bus at 13. Hard contact is king!
Maybe you already know this!!
quote:
Originally posted by Coach May:
In my opinion a kid shouldnt worry about hitting hr's untill he is being paid to him them. Just get in the box and hit it hard somewhere and find a way to get on base. Focus on hitting the ball hard and learning to use the whole field. The HR's will come as a result of this approach.

I'm in agreement. I tell my kids hit line drives and the homers will come when the pitcher makes a mistake. My son was 5 feet when he was twelve in LL. He was second in homers. They were all line drive fence scrappers. The kid who led the league and hit moon shots is now flying out a lot on the big field. My son led his 14U travel team in homers batting second and ninth.

The best homer was when he was hitting ninth. Number eight crushed one over the 335 mark in left. The outfielders moved back for my son. My son was 5'5" in April. The coach comes out of the dugout and tells his players the little kid isn't going to hit the ball that far.

Boom! Actually the coach was right. He hit it down the line over the 315 sign.
Last edited by TG
quote:
Originally posted by sluggo:
Very cute.

Now children: This post is limited to HS and College players. Also, in the park does not count. Sheesh!

Thank you. Cool

I guess I should have said limited to HRs on a full size Field - you know, something bigger than Minute Maid Park in Houston.

I still like to watch the LLWS even though son is 15. But I am sorry: those aren't homeruns, they are glorified popups.
Last edited by sluggo
Tripledad,
His hitting has always been about hitting it hard and on a line. He has hit the fence on a line a heck of a lot more times than he has hit homeruns.

We know that he will hit less at the big fields. He also led the team for doubles and triples. Lots of gap shots. I have no worries about his batting. Homeruns are just fun!! It fires up everybody.
Ok lets seee.
This year he hit 11 HR's in HS his Jr year. He has hit 5 this summer 3 with metal and 2 with wood. So thats 16 this year so far.

For his HS career he has hit 25 HR's and is one off the pace for the all time record. He owns the single season record at his HS with 11 breaking the old mark of 10. Our field is 325 down the lines 375 in the alleys and 385 to cf.

He will represent NC in the High School Home Run Derby held at the Devil Rays Stadium on Jan 4th of next year.

OK enough of this HR talk. Hit the ball hard and find a way to get on base. Thats all the really matters.
quote:
Our field is 325 down the lines 375 in the alleys and 385 to cf.

My son is entering high school this fall. I was hitting him balls where he had to find the fence and on some, leap and take away the homer. When I helped him pick up all the balls I hit over the fence I looked back and thought "Wow!". I walked over to the alley and thought the same thing.

When I saw the Legion coach (they use the field too) I asked him about the dimensions. it's 410 to center and 385 up the alleys. I told my son that's a stand up triple park, not a homer park. It's deeper than the former minor league field where he plays travel games. I knew the distances were legit but never appeared that deep.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.