Skip to main content

All,

My kid has a couple of offers (that are great but not what he wants to commit to right now) and ZERO announcements to make today but is very excited for many teammates both past, present, and future.

I am EXCITED (and curious) for my HSBBW friends here who have boys that signed today! Lets go people...put up some pics along with where your kids (grandkids if you are like Good Knight) realized a dream!

Congratulations to all!!!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

{{ I posted this in another thread here on HSBBW, but thought I would include it on this thread as well }}

My 2022 committed about a month ago and today signed with Freed-Hardeman University, a very solid NAIA program in West Tennessee.

HSBBW has been a great resource as we plowed - eh, maybe crawled is a better word - through the recruitment process. Lots of perspectives are shared on this forum publicly - and some of you have been kind enough to share thoughts when responding to my PM's.

Last edited by johnlanza

H signed with Young Harris College here in Georgia. An incredible journey that definitely didn't progress how we imagined it would when back in the heady days of 2018, but the end result is fantastic, and he is so happy and excited.

I can't begin to thank everyone enough on this board (in both forums and PMs) for answering my questions, challenging my beliefs, and providing different perspectives. Without HSBBW, he would not be where he is now. That's a fact.

Two key takeaways (that will just reinforce what everyone has said for years):

• Grades matter. Work to the best of your ability, achieve what you can, and don't sacrifice academics for anything. The amount of academic money out there dwarfs the athletic money at any school.
  • If you aren't a pitcher, then you have to rake. Hitting for average is something that H always did. But once he started hitting for power, the interest level rose dramatically and doors started opening.

I have more to write once I put it together, but this is a good place to stop for now. Thank you to you all, and good luck to everyone on their journey.

Grades matter. Work to the best of your ability, achieve what you can, and don't sacrifice academics for anything. The amount of academic money out there dwarfs the athletic money at any school.

My youngest is ten years removed from recruiting. The numbers probably haven’t changed much. When my kids were going through the process there was twenty-two times more academic money than athletic money.

The ideal scenario in D1 is be strong enough academically to qualify for both academic and athletic money.

Three quarters of high school kids are now graduating with an unweighted 3.0. If you want to stand out strive for higher.

@Senna posted:

H signed with Young Harris College here in Georgia. An incredible journey that definitely didn't progress how we imagined it would when back in the heady days of 2018, but the end result is fantastic, and he is so happy and excited.

I can't begin to thank everyone enough on this board (in both forums and PMs) for answering my questions, challenging my beliefs, and providing different perspectives. Without HSBBW, he would not be where he is now. That's a fact.

Two key takeaways (that will just reinforce what everyone has said for years):

• Grades matter. Work to the best of your ability, achieve what you can, and don't sacrifice academics for anything. The amount of academic money out there dwarfs the athletic money at any school.
  • If you aren't a pitcher, then you have to rake. Hitting for average is something that H always did. But once he started hitting for power, the interest level rose dramatically and doors started opening.

I have more to write once I put it together, but this is a good place to stop for now. Thank you to you all, and good luck to everyone on their journey.

Congrats @Senna! One of my sons best friend played at YHC! He transferred from a JC on the west coast. He loved his time in Georgia, graduated with honors and now has a great job back on the west coast. He and his teammates meet up every year since graduating for a mini reunion. One thing that I have noticed with the baseball fraternity, most don’t go on to play at the next level, but the bonds that they make will last a lifetime.

Enjoy the ride! Go Mountain Lions!

My son signed yesterday. I won't do any public pictures or mention his school because it's his business. But it was a big day...from the signing ceremony at the school to the social media posts by his coaches at college to our own private celebration in the evening. And I am sure my son's phone was blowing up all day yesterday. Once in a lifetime event and I am glad he was able to experience it.

Kid's school gathered all the 2022 student athletes to staged signing with parents. My kid who is pending ED acceptance to a HA D3 mocked signed an attendance sheet for the cameras. It is events like this that contribute to why so many parents are confused about the NLI.  My son forbids me mentioning/posting anything until the acceptance letter comes in.

@2022NYC posted:

Kid's school gathered all the 2022 student athletes to staged signing with parents. My kid who is pending ED acceptance to a HA D3 mocked signed an attendance sheet for the cameras. It is events like this that contribute to why so many parents are confused about the NLI.  My son forbids me mentioning/posting anything until the acceptance letter comes in.

Same here. Nice HS event celebrating the kids, but it's the last we'll talk about it until the ED1 acceptance comes through.

@JCG posted:

Congrats to Chaz Jr. and family!

Time to start eating and lifting!

Thanks JCG. The boy has been in the gym 4 days a week since he committed and has gained 15lbs of muscle (mostly). Told him that if he keeps this up, he may lift his way to one of the corners from the MIF. He started his winter throwing program a few weeks ago, and he is in the tunnels a couple of times a week hitting/fielding. He is taking the attitude that he's going to fight for playing time out of the gate. So happy for him.

Have posted before about #3 and his tentative commitment to a D3 HA, pending ED admission.  We were expecting official news, one way or the other, next week, but it came today and caught us off guard.  Son was in class when email came and clueless until a couple hours later when the coach texted him and suggested he might want to look at his application portal.

Because he's  punching above his weight with this school academically, we were pretty nervous; we've seen coach's support disappear even when the academic metrics were in line. It wouldn't have shocked us if the news was bad.

But it wasn't bad, which is good. Now, of course, the real work begins.

Thanks, everyone, not only for your baseball support (est. 2014), but also for allowing me to post even when I'm baked like a loaf of multi-grain bread.

Last edited by smokeminside

Have posted before about #3 and his tentative commitment to a D3 HA, pending ED admission.  We were expecting official news, one way or the other, next week, but it came today and caught us off guard.  Son was in class when email came and clueless until a couple hours later when the coach texted him and suggested he might want to look at his application portal.

Because he's  punching above his weight with this school academically, we were pretty nervous; we've seen coach's support disappear even when the academic metrics were in line. It wouldn't have shocked us if the news was bad.

Thanks, everyone, not only for your baseball support (est. 2014), but also for allowing me to post even when I'm baked like a loaf of multi-grain bread.

Congrats to #3 and fam!

As for your baking hobby, there was no indica before, but it does make a lot of sinse, so I'm sativfied.

Last edited by JCG

Lefty got his official acceptance to his HA D3, school is in SCIAC one he likely wouldn't get in without coach help, my tiger mom friends who paid over $20K for tutors, essay editors, counselors, ACT tutors etc are all very jealous. I need to thank ALL of the posters on this forum.  

Thank you for teaching us:

• When to start reaching out to coaches vs when to hunker down and train
  • what to put in emails
  • camps are money grabs if they have an unsubscribe except..
  • Headfirst and Showball are great opportunities for solid students
  • Covid screwed everything up, ways to adapt
  • D1 baseball is intense and full of rejection (and not for my kid)
  • The process sucks but it sucks for almost everyone so just power through

And really so many other things.  I am grateful for each and every one of you.  Even the ones who are a bit cranky and I disagree with on most topics outside of baseball.  And especially for @smokeminside both for his support via PM and for his baking posts

smokem's wife: how are we gonna pay a third HA D3 tuition???

smokem: The Big Lebowski. The Dude. Life. Movie quote. | Life goes on, Tv show quotes, The big lebowski

(much congrats)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.