Skip to main content

Greetings oh wise ones.  Great site, and am on here constantly.  My question is, does anyone have any experience with the Illinois Indians?  My son plays on a pretty good local travel team.  However, they don't do any PG national type events.  There is really no team close enough to us, to allow that opportunity.  I see where the Illinois Indians will take kids for specific PG and other big tournaments (kids that aren't from their area, and don't necessarily play of them).  Was wondering how they know if a kid is capable, etc.  Do they usually have a competitive team, etc?  We are early in the process, but would like to do some bigger tournaments starting next year with him as a freshman.  If there is some groundwork needing done (professional assessments, etc.), for him to be considered for something like this, then want to get that done.  Are there other teams that offer this opportunity?  Might as well start figuring out where he belongs and how he competes at the highest level, and start early.  Learned with my daughter, volleyball, ACT's, etc., that it is better to start sooner than later.  Any opinions/experience with the Indians or other teams that offer this opportunity, would be great!  Thanks!   

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son played a tourny with their 17U team in summer 2012, they were coming down to Fl, Ft Myers for PG tourny, I put his name out there, on this very site,  we were contacted by the coach, he asked for some references from other coaches and checked his PG profile.  Everything worked out, son pitched one game for them.  They brought down a very competitive team.  Coach was Nelson Gord, very good guy.  Wouldn't hesitate to play for them again

I spoke with them this fall about my son playing in the PG Underclass in Ft. Myers.  Gave them some info on my son and who/where he's played.  Unfortunately he had conflicts with HS soccer so we couldn't make it.  They had a heck of a weekend for taking a bunch of kids who hadn't all been together before.  Really wish we'd have gone along. I'm not sure whether they would need as many kids for a summer event...or if they are short kids for the fall events due to other sport (soccer/football) conflicts.  You'd have to contact them to find out for sure.

I'm actually about 1.5 hours away.  We looked into them because a friend of my son's has played for the Indians for a couple of years.  I have also been aware of the Indians and Coach Gord through this website for a few years now and have always been impressed by his professionalism.

Coach Gord played at Univ of IL-Chicago and had a professional stint.  He knows the game and what it takes to get there.

They ran a set of tryouts in August for both Fall2013 and Summer2014 so I assume they'll do that again next fall for the timeframe you're looking for.

All I can tell you is this fall, they had CA players on their PG Kernals team and CA players on their Phoenix PG team.  Also a couple of FL players played in Ft. Myers for the Underclass and Freshman tournaments a couple of weeks ago. 

How they find these players or the players find the team...I don't know.  Nelson is on here and they have a website...www.illinoisindiansbaseball.com  Feel free to check them out there.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.