Skip to main content

Ike Davis, Chaparral High School 2005 and Arizona State University 2009, was called up today to the Major Leagues and started at first base for the New York Mets. He had two hits and an RBI. Ike graduated with my middle son. They went to ASU together. His Dad, Ron, and I have been friends for a long time; we watched our sons grow up together. And tonight we celebrated together with lots of other great friends. Ron played 11 years in the Major Leagues himself, including four with the Yankees. Today was better for him than all of that combined. It was pretty neat for the rest of us, too.

Ex-Yankee Ron Davis discusses his son, Ike
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great Story, thanks for posting. It had to be pretty special to share that time with the Davis family Monday night. I remember Ron Davis setting up Goose, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't he spend a little time as a Closer too? Now he gets the opportunity to watch his son in the Bigs, it's obvious how proud he is from his statements in the article...very special day!
Ike Davis should've been the starting firstbaseman from day one. For some reason, they think Daniel Murphy is their man. Murphy nothing more than a bench player. But the way the Mets run things, it's no surprise they sent this kid down when camp broke. They don't do much right but they finally wised up and brought him back up.
Davis might not have been a stud in the minors but he's a far better 1B than anybody they have. Murphy was a butcher in the OF and can't play 1B like this kid Davis. He's got power, which is something the Mets lack and he's a lefty. I don't know how they didn't start him from the day camp broke. I could see if the Mets had a stud 1B but they had nobody.

Yea their front office and manager have to go. Probably their medical staff should be looked at too. Bringing Bobby V back would be a good move for them.
We are also very happy for Ike. I can honestly say that Ike was one of the most fun kids I have ever met. Interesting to read about his dad telling him to always have fun. Ike always looked like he was having a blast with baseball. He was also very talented. He was an easy selection for us to pick him for the Aflac Game and he was the MVP of the game that year.

Playing in that same 2004 Aflac All American Game in addition to Ike were some others that have played in the Big Leagues already... Justin Upton, Andrew McCutchen, Cameron Maybin, Buster Posey, Chris Volstad, Austin Jackson, Ryan Tucker and Sean O'Sullivan. Others from that team who could get called up very soon include Jeremy Hellickson, Jordan Danks and Brett Wallace. There are others who are in the upper levels of the minor leagues.

Here is a short report on Ike when he was a junior in high school. S.croll down the page to read

Ike Davis

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.