Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is a truly important article to read. Please read it through to the sheriff's response.

Inconvenience. Really, ma'am.

Coincidentally, or maybe not so coincidentally ... my husband is a police sergeant, and this week here in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul), we mourned the death of an officer who was killed in the line of duty, protecting a mother and daughter who were threatened by the mother's violent ex-spouse.

Back to the article...

From the sheriff's response to the "inconvenienced" woman:

"While you were being inconvenienced in your car on your way home, there were soldiers just like Sergeant Woods carrying 100+ pounds of equipment in 120 degree heat, up some mountain or in the middle of some desert. They will shower out of a helmet liner if they get the chance. They will eat a cold meal of MRE's; something most people would consider garbage. They cannot text their family or friends, or go to McDonalds, or watch TV. They can only continue the mission and look out after the guy to the left and right of them. They don't complain because they know they volunteered. The only thing they ask is that we do not forget the sacrifices they have made."

Julie
I agree this person has some sort of personality disorder. But really, to actually write a letter of complaint - that's just nutz. The sheriff's response was well done.

Down south there is a tradition of pulling over for all funerals - even on the other side. So you give up 2 or 3 minutes. I usually say a prayer for the one being buried and reflect upon my own mortality. Then law enforcement has things going again.
Trojan-Skipper

thanks for sharing. I remember a very longtime ago when I acted like a spoiled selfish jerk my teacher made me coming in a write a phrase over and over again to make sure I learned a lesson.

My this person should have to sit and watch this video for however long it takes her to become a human being again.
Since those bikers weren't law enforcement in charge of directing the funeral procession, they had no business sticking their heads in her car and intimidating her.

However, this woman needs to learn a little consideration, deal with the couple of minutes of being inconvenienced and just let the funeral procession pass thru.
Last edited by zombywoof
quote:
Originally posted by Infield08:
Reminds me of a video I saw this summer. If this doesn't bring tears to your eyes, nothing will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9306gUTzUOc

I'm a very busy guy.

I've constantly got 11 things to do in a 8 thing day.

I don't have time to sit around my computer watching youtube videos...I'm a busy guy.

There was a time, not so long ago, when it wasn't very popular to be in the service. That was the time that I served. It never bothered me a bit that people didn't like me or what I did, I did it for them anyway.

It moves me to no end to see such an outpouring of compassion and people who aren't to busy to take just a moment of their day and pay respects to someone they probably never met. There are so many good and caring people in our country and it helps to be reminded of that.

I don't know what possessed me to finally click on the youtube link...but thanks for putting it there.

I'm a bit ashamed for being so busy, I'm going to try and change that.
Last edited by CPLZ
To the woman that was "inconvienced":

Could you just for one moment put yourself in the skin of the friends and family of a fallen soldier. What would you be thinking if commuters were flipping you off and behaving badly - too impatient to get to work or whatever, what would you think if it was your child, your husband, your nephew, your cousin, your friend??????

Would you get emotional in this instance?
Say you were on a motorcycle participating in the procession, what would you expect of people?

I know how I would react- if I see a flashing light on a vehicle, I do not second guess it, I pull over giving way to any emergency or perceived emergency.

If it turns out to be a funeral, I pray for the individual, and give way to whatever they need.
Infield08,

Thank you so much for posting that link. What a moving tribute. I was supposed to be on my way out the door, but just had to watch the whole thing, with tears streaming down my cheeks.

Thank you, Sergeant First Class John C. Beale.

Thank you, Sgt. 1st Class William "Brian" Woods.

Thank you to all of our brave men and women who are willing to serve and sacrifice. Because freedom isn't free.

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.