Skip to main content

Last night in the Braves - Rockies game. Chipper hits chopper to SS. Throw pulls 1B off the bag, but 1B ump calls runner out. HP ump immediately runs down the line and over rules the 1B ump and calls runner safe because of 1B being off the bag.

I thought I have always heard it discussed that an ump should never over rule one of his partners without the partner asking him. Tom Glavine was in the booth and said he had never seen that happen in a MLB game.

Is this a new mechanic or procedure that the MLB umps have been instructed to do? Did any of you guys see this play and have some input on it?

Just curious.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yeah, this has been discussed on other boards.

I think the PU went too far. But, we do not know what MLB directives are being given behind closed doors. Bruce Froemming is being quoted as saying this was the best instinctive umpiring he has ever seen.

I say watch the PU's career and see if this politically correct statement to the same media who would rip him if he said otherwise holds up. If this umpire's MLB career ends soon, then you can guess he didn't mean what he said.
Wow, surprised I haven't gotten more response on this one. Guess it has been talked out on the other boards.

Sounds like what you are saying, Mr. Umpire, is that this never should have happened. And although Bruce Froemming publicly applauded this action, more than likely, privately, he and the umpire association, are not happy with it.
quote:
Originally posted by Michael S. Taylor:
I didn't reply because Mr.Umpire pretty much summed it up. What the PU did is directly contrary to the rulebook. It also makes it tough on us that work college down because we are not going to do that.

Not a lot of extra I can add, since Mr. Umpire did it quite well...., MST states it to the best that I can come up with......we just arent going to do that..

also, although the MLB umpires are the top of our food chain, there are many things that are acceptable at their level that we should not emulate.....
quote:
I didn't reply because Mr.Umpire pretty much summed it up. What the PU did is directly contrary to the rulebook. It also makes it tough on us that work college down because we are not going to do that.

Okay, but what if the defensive team asked the first base umpire to confer with the home plate umpire as he might have had a better angle on the play?

One of the things I've liked the most about MLB umpires is when they get together and discuss a call to see if anyone got a better look than the guy who actually made the call. It quick and shows that the main goal is getting the call right.
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
quote:

Okay, but what if the defensive team asked the first base umpire to confer with the home plate umpire as he might have had a better angle on the play?

One of the things I've liked the most about MLB umpires is when they get together and discuss a call to see if anyone got a better look than the guy who actually made the call. It quick and shows that the main goal is getting the call right.
Asking for help and just overruling a call without asking are 2 different things. No one asked for him to get help. The PU just overruled it b/c he thought he was doing something right. He violated 2 rules immediately when he did it and should be reprimanded for it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.