Skip to main content

Baseball and softball are out of the Olympics as of 2012, in a vote that surprised even longtime International Olympic Committee members.
"There were a lot of people that said they supported us and obviously didn't," said Don Porter, president of the International Softball Federation.
Baseball joined the Olympics in 1992 and softball in 1996.
Friday's secret vote reflected a heavy European influence of the IOC, which claims a near majority of European members. The popularity of baseball and softball are limited primarily to the Americas, Canada and Asia. Both sports were founded in the U.S.
Baseball also suffers from its failure to reach an agreement with Major League Baseball that would send the top players to the Olympics. "The problem is not only one problem," said Aldo Notari, head of the International Baseball Federation. "The problem is we need further development in the world."
Porter, who said he was devastated, has been concerned all along that members linked baseball and softball too closely.
The other 26 sports were retained.
"I think they've made a big, big mistake," said Tommy Lasorda, the former Dodgers manager who managed the U.S. to its only gold medal, at the Sydney Games in 2000.
"Baseball is played by all countries now and softball, too. I think that's really going to hurt the Olympics. I don't want to knock the other sports, but I think this is a big mistake. I am very disappointed.
"I was fortunate enough to coach the U.S. Olympic team in Australia. The parks were full at all times. How can they take away a sport like that?"
Baseball became a medal sport in 1992, with the U.S. finishing out of the money. Four years later, the Americans won a bronze medal before Lasorda's team won it all in 2000. Last year, the U.S. never got out of regional qualifying as Canada and Cuba represented North America in Athens.
Softball, on the other hand, has been the USA's property since it hit the Olympic calendar in 1996. American women have won all three available gold medals and their 2004 victory capped a 79-game winning streak in international play.
The IOC will consider replacing them with two sports from a waiting list of five: Golf, rugby, squash, karate and roller sports. That decision will be made Saturday.
Baseball and softball, which will remain on the program for the 2008 Beijing Games, are the first sports cut from the Olympics since polo in 1936.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Friday's secret vote reflected a heavy European influence of the IOC, which claims a near majority of European members. The popularity of baseball and softball are limited primarily to the Americas, Canada and Asia. Both sports were founded in the U.S.

I vote to eliminate the "S"-word sport. What a load of garbage!
this is most unfortunate. I attended the baseball games in the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles and it was just great.

Unfortunately, the Olympics are very European dominated and baseball isn't their "thing", although there are leagues growing throughout Europe. I think there may be a little "anti-americanism" in all this.

The public reasons/rattionale being given is that (american) baseball is now tainted by the steroid "doping" issues, which is a huge matter with the Olympics. The other part to this is that the Olympics want the best athletes in the world in a given sport, such that professionals have been allowed now to play (e.g. basketball and hockey). In baseball the best (MLB) players do not play and so the Olympic administrators have always seemed to view baseball as an exhibition of sorts.

Baseball/softball are also not seen as "global" enough.

In any event, regardless of all these rationalizations by the IOC I think this is a horrible decision and with no offense to others, I think synchronized badmiton or whatever else they've allowed in over the years should be gone long before a sport such as baseball which is an established and recognized sport that is played throughout the world. Putting aside everything else, I do think the bottom line here was an anti-American slap.
Last edited by HeyBatter
Just to add to my earlier post, I guess it didn't help that the US baseball team didn't even qualify for the last Olympic games.

I've also been reading that effectively no US reps have been on the various Olympic committees where the ever present "politicking" goes on and where the votes might have been garnered to keep baseball and softball alive.

All and all still a sad day for sports.
Frankly, this rates a: So what.

Jacques Rogge's disdain for baseball/softball has been long known. Now he's got the clout to do something about it and did.

This matters for softball, because it was their biggest platform. But, with no viable professional league, what was the next biggest event? NCAA championships, by far.

That said, how many of you followed the last Olympic baseball tournament? What players of note participated? Who won?

It was nice when they played, and it's a great honor for those who get the chance. But let's get real. We only care about baseball at this level, much like basketball, when the U.S. loses. Win and it's ho-hum.

Where would Olympic baseball rate is this must-see list for most of you?

Major league game
Minor league game
College game
Local high school game
Major League playoffs
World Series
High School state championships
Minor league postseason
NCAA tournament
College World Series
Little League World Series
Olympics
OldVa,

You're probably right, but I still say withdraw all foreign aid from countries voting for this insulting slap at our game, launch missles at all unoccupied s*****fields in such countries, and jam their television reception by running Barney re-runs over and over again. Phooie with subtle diplomacy.

Synchronized swimming, perhaps the dumbest looking thing in the universe sometimes referred to as a sport, has world appeal and baseball doesn't? Please.........

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.