Skip to main content

I have a rising junior with a late birthday - he will turn 16 at the end of November.  He would like to play in college and we are reading and trying to take all of the great advice on this site.  He recently attended tryouts for a local team that has tryouts for a fall and summer team (this team does not hold separate tryouts).  When we learned about it, it was billed as a 17U team but they told us that they decided to go 16U instead.   It sounds like a good competitive team that will be playing in competitive tournaments next summer, but I guess the majority of the team and its competition will not be in the same school year as my son.  

In your opinion, does this matter with respect to his goal of playing in college?  I know he needs to start getting in touch with schools this fall and doing a number of other things to help his chances - one thing I've read is for him to let coaches know where he will  be playing during summer season so they have an opportunity to see him - will they be less interested in coming to see him if it is at a 16U tournament versus 17U?  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Absolutely.  17U teams will see many, many more coaches at their games/tournaments than 16U teams....not even close.  Sure, there will be some....especially if you play in bigger tourneys, but coaches are really concentrating on the 17U teams as that's where most of the rising seniors will be. My son played on a VERY good 16u team...in some of the best events in the Midwest...and we never had more than 5 or 6 coaches at our games...and they usually were there to see a particular player...not watching the game looking for prospects.  Thsi past summer at 17U we regularly had 12-15....and as many as 40 in some of the bigger tourney.  Next summer will be vitally important for your son with regard to recruiting.  You'll need to have him playing the best competition he can.  If he plays 16U, yes, he'll be playing "his age"...but he'll be playing against kids a grade lower than him.  I wouldn't consider the 16U team...no matter how good they are

He should have played grade equivilant rather than age equivilant starting in 7th or 8th grade. If he's about to be a junior he needs to play on a 17u team. If he wants to play college ball it needs to be a team that attends showcase tournaments that are appropriate to his potential for college ball. It should be a team where coaches have contacts and credibility with college coaches. You should also map out a couple of individual showcases with colleges he might want to play for. Don't throw spaghetti off the wall to see what sticks. Build a business plan and execute it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.