Skip to main content

As a coach, is it ever acceptable at the varsity level to run a lineup on the field that you know is not the best you could put out there?

Example...let's say it is senior night at your HS and you are not really in the playoff race. The coach decides to start and play nothing but seniors, even though only 4-5 contribute normally. Your team gets run-ruled in 5 innings.

Is this a nice tribute to the seniors or an embarrassing display that cheated both your team and the other teams in the district? Should the coach be playing younger players to look to the future? This is a hypothetical question, of course.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One game? Senior night? Sure it's ok -- especially if the seniors are hard workers who accept limited roles but remain dedicated to team. Smile <--- since we're both speaking hypothetically. Delaying the opportunity to evaluate his younger talent for one game isn't a major deal, IMO. No one likes to get run-ruled....it should be "embarassing", no matter what lineup is used. But it's just one game -- and I don't think a HS coach owes anything to the other district coaches, except to coach with integrity.
TB, My son is one of those "younger ones that he might want to get a better look at." Not that your son did this, I'm not implying that, but if my son came home complaining that he didn't get an opp, because the coach was paying tribute to his Sr.s, I'd tell him to sit down, shut up, work hard, and support his teammates.

I'd tell him that in a very loving way, of course...hypothetically.
Thanks for the input...it was tough to watch.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
TB, My son is one of those "younger ones that he might want to get a better look at." Not that your son did this, I'm not implying that, but if my son came home complaining that he didn't get an opp, because the coach was paying tribute to his Sr.s, I'd tell him to sit down, shut up, work hard, and support his teammates.

I'd tell him that in a very loving way, of course...hypothetically.

T-Bird son is normally a starter. He had a great attitude about it and had no problem with his coach doing that. Not only did he not complain, he ended up signalling pitches and warming up outfielders. His father was the one who had a problem with it...hypothetically. Wink
Last edited by tychco
The situation yes, but let me throw in another one. What about when a team is facing the "worst" team in the district. That is very relative, so maybe that'll change up some of the responses. If the coach starts someone that normally doesn't contribute over someone who does (senior, junior, etc... not important), does that not send the wrong message to the team? "These guys are not good enough to beat us... even with out 'B' team." Every mom and dad wants to see their son played... but this situation is a little more foggy.
DTiger -- I've said it here before....coaching HS baseball is a challenging profession. The key thing is being a consistent leader. Why do people have to try to "interpret" every move a coach makes? Playing the "B team" (your term) may be beneficial in many ways --- for morale, for experience, perhaps it's juat the "right" thing to do in a particular situation. Most good coaches don't need to send subtle messages to their team -- their actions become obvious. Does your coach play backups in the non-district games? Most do. It's a way to say, "let's see what you can do -- go compete!"

We have a great group of parents this year at East. I would venture to say that some are not 100% on board with Coach Collins. But they aren't spending every waking hour generating a list of the top 10 ways he is screwing up the team -- or their kid. Most of the top teams in the state have 10-11 regulars (non-pitchers) and 3-4 that can step in and contribute. And most kids know how they measure up against their teammates --- they accept it better than we do at times.

A coach can't please everyone. And there are dozens of ways to judge a coach's worth, other than his winning percentage. Trying to find playing time for those that come out and practice every day is not a weakness, or an "in-your-face" quality....no matter the opponent that day.

-PD
I would expect every coach would play "back-ups" in the tournaments... although usually for us, in the beginning of the year at tournaments, back-ups and starters are far from solid. Only usually a certain position here and there. Even a kid, solid as a rock for us last year, changed positions: felt more comfortable somewhere else, and we had a person more than adequate to step in. Tournaments are great for competing, winning and losing spots, etc. Once district play begins (and this might be amplified because Jesuit does not have the depth I feel we need this year--not to insult my teammates, but if we lost one person at any position, that might set off a chain reaction that wouldn't be so great... as long as we're all healthy, depth isn't a problem) I think you go out there with your best 9-11 kids every time. Some kids hit righties better, some can't hit righties... etc. This all changes things. My personal preference. Not meant I'm saying my coach has made this mistake.

This brings up a point I was wondering/wanting to discuss. How successful are pinch hitters around the area in all of ya'lls personal experiences. I can't remember a time when I pinch hit, but I do remember DH-ing and it's hard to stay in the game (maybe that's because it was HS Fall-Ball). For a kid to sit on the bench the entire game and then usually brought into a clutch situation... seems very difficult.
DT, My son is a PH'er. Has some 30 (+/-) AB's this season and probably 20 (+/-) have been in the PH role. Often times it is late, tight, and the pressure is on.

I can tell you (second hand) that while it is very challanging for him, he relishes the opportunity to have the game on the line. Whether success or failure in the AB, being at the plate means you had to stay mentally in the game for 7 (+/-) innings and be hungry for a chance.
I agree with the notion of giving those seniors some playing time on senior night IF the scenario is as you paint it - a team is out of the district race (or they have already clinced a playoff spot and can't improve on it). That last out of the high school game for some of those seniors is the last out of baseball they will ever experience. I've always liked a little compassion in coaches, and the NWest coach is one who sees the bigger picture.
I'm probably going to be in the same position this week at our senior night, and if my younger sits in place of a senior. . .I have no problem with it and I hope that senior has the night of his life.
Please tell me you guys aren't questioning a coach honoring his seniors if it doesn't impact a playoff race!

Last game of the year last year, we were out of it and I felt like it was a no-brainer to start all seniors. If I remember correctly, noone else even played. One guy even had an AL Bundy night (2 HR's + ). I'm sure he went home thinking, see, I should have been playing all of this time! GOOD FOR HIM - THE GAME IS ABOUT THEM ANYWAY!!!

Our opponent last night did it as well only 2 Seniors weren't regular starters anyway.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.