Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am agreeing with Midlo Dad (based on some stuff I heard about 2 years ago, reliable or not) and Phanatic (which was my first thought when I heard Coach Ike left VMI). 

Hopefully, to be named soon.  It has to be hard to recruit without a HC.  JMU is currently at the bottom of the CAA and has no where to go but up!

Originally Posted by redbird5:

I agree with Midlo.  I would be shocked if Kuhn took the job.

I could see Coach Mac getting the nod before Kuhn. He is a former HC, recruiting guy and seems have more of the HC persona that you'd look for in leading a program. That said, I have no idea if he is a candidate. 

I really think this is a great job for someone. JMU should NEVER be at or near the bottom of their league as they have been. Good facilities, popular school, competitive tuition. I can't speak with a ton of authority on this but I'll say that I have rarely seen their coaches out on the showcase circuit. To be fair, not many coaches are flocking to the 'watered-down' version of today's showcase baseball, but I do see Redford, VCU, W&M, Tech quite a bit. JMU — it's a rare sight. 

On the surface, it seems like a natural for a coach from a major D1 to slide into a mid-major D1 HC slot. But for Kuhn, he's a part of a tremendous program, it would probably be a minor bump in salary (according to public records, a very minor bump), their children will attend UVA, they're living in Charlottesville, etc. I don't know why you would leave that, unless the move is to a top 25 program HC position.

Agreed, JMU is going to be a good job HC for someone.  Its got a lot of potential.  We never saw their recruiters in the field a few years ago much less out of the state at the big events....and it's not like they haven't needed pitching the last 5 years.  It can do nothing but go up.  

If you were Kuhn, would you leave UVA as pitching coach to be JMU HC for similiar pay....not a chance unless you were really unhappy.

Originally Posted by fenwaysouth:

Agreed, JMU is going to be a good job HC for someone.  Its got a lot of potential.  We never saw their recruiters in the field a few years ago much less out of the state at the big events....and it's not like they haven't needed pitching the last 5 years.  It can do nothing but go up.  

If you were Kuhn, would you leave UVA as pitching coach to be JMU HC for similiar pay....not a chance unless you were really unhappy.

I don't disagree with the fact that the move from UVa assistant to HC at JMU is probably a lateral move financially and maybe a step down in quality of life (kids, community, etc) but most assistant coaches long to run their own program. It would not surprise me to see a top-level assistant take the job - even at a pay cut. The question is - will there be evidence of a commitment to baseball? That's what it'll take to lure an up and comer. Now, whether one of the UVa guys could be lured away - agree that it's probably unlikely but you never know. I am extremely curious to see what they do. 

It would be highly unlikely that Coach Mac or Coach Kuhn would take the JMU job in my estimation.  Guys who are nationally recognized as the top assistant coaches at ACC or SEC schools don't typically leave to head to a mid-major.  They leave to go to a big-time school.  ie: Tim Corbin was jack Leggett's assistant for around a decade, turned down many opportunities until Vanderbilt came along and promised him a serious commitment to baseball... the rest we know.  Same with the guy who ascended to Corbin's spot at Clemson (Kevin O'Sullivan) - he only left Clemson once Florida came calling.

My point being, I would really only expect to see Coach Mac or Kuhn leave for a job like Kentucky, Wake Forest, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama.... Power conference schools that might need a change of course and would promise the world as far as a re-energized commitment to the baseball program.

Not for a mid-major. 

If I had to throw a name out there as pure speculation - Joe Raccuia might be a great get for them if they were promising 11.7 and further commitments to facilities (like a locker room on site....stuff like that).  W&M's staff could also be a good place to look for a young up and coming coach in Brian Murphy - knowing what I know about W&M's aversion to paying a living wage it wouldn't be too hard to convince them to boogie up 64 a hundred miles.

Last edited by R.Graham
Originally Posted by rr0877:

Start by tracing the AD's lineage - many times this is where you will find the replacement.  I would agree with Racuia being a front runner.  No guarantees, but there is a relationship there and Radford has competed under him in a less than ideal situation.  

Raccuia is a good call. Didn't think about him Would he leave the alma mater? Next question is how much of a step up - if any - is the job at JMU? Big South is a good baseball league and getting better. Coastal and Liberty are national players — and heck, Radford is playing in that sandbox this spring. 

Wonder why he was released?  JMU needs a Coach that understands Program Development, recruiting and discipline. Virtually every major school within two hundred mile circle has vastly upgrade their programs.  (Except for Richmond, Wm& Mary, and ODU).  All these other schools are getting the talent we used to get.  Minimum five year turnaround.

Depends on what you mean by long term.  Jack will coach another 10 years if somebody will let him.  But, I doubt that he would be interested.  I heard a rumor that one of the Clemson assistants, Dan Pepicelli, was a candidate at JMU.  Heard the same thing about the AC/recruiting coordinator at the College of Charleston, whose name escapes me. 

Originally Posted by joemktg:
Originally Posted by right arm of zeus:

What IF? Coach Legget of Clemson, who was just fired.. http://espn.go.com/college-spo...l-coach-jack-leggett 

Not a long term solution.

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Ball:

Wonder why he was released?  JMU needs a Coach that understands Program Development, recruiting and discipline. Virtually every major school within two hundred mile circle has vastly upgrade their programs.  (Except for Richmond, Wm& Mary, and ODU).  All these other schools are getting the talent we used to get.  Minimum five year turnaround.

Richmond has undergone major upgrades to their facility and program. Brought in Woodson, turfed their field. ODU now has a great hitting facility and have made incremental improvements over the past three years to their stadium. Not to mention, a very good coaching staff. Lost 2 one run games in the regionals last year and are very competitive in a multi-bid league. Their program has undergone a major upgrade in the past three or four years. 

The search committee has finished its work and the decision now rests with the AD and administration.  A number of Coaches have backed out because of other considerations including Racula.  ( 6 year deal @120K).   Coach Kuhn from UVA is currently making $62000 with a considerable bump following the CWS in store.  UVA does not want to break up this team of coaches, so I think Kuhn may get a longer term deal and stay put.  I think the choices are down to about four candidates.  Whatever they decide will be an upgrade to the program.

Good points.  The central idea remains that it is unlikely that JMU will offer enough (or even try) to entice Coach Kuhn.  Yes he makes considerably more, but it is conceivable that his reputation might allow him to carry much of that forward to a new job.  However, the differences between Pitching Coach and Head Coach are considerable.  When to two top coaches at South Carolina left a few years ago the magic in that program vanished.  The harmony that exists within a great coaching staff is hard to maintain.  Beyond the income discussion UVA does not want to lose Coach Kuhn.

For Kuhn, think Bud Foster.  Sweet deal.  Great place to live.  And as much job security as you can have in coaching.  He can get rich, win a ton of games and have another 20+ years on his run.  It would take a bomb to get me out of that gig.

IMO He would need 1st round money to move.  There are not a lot of places that can bring that heat and JMU is not one of them.

I have no clue if it will be Kuhn, but I think some underestimate the attraction of being a head coach for most of these guys.  Kuhn is on record as saying it is not a matter of IF he gets a head coaching job, but a mater of WHEN.  He has come up just short in some previous years, apparently.  I also think it's tough to make a jump from third-in-command to head coach at an ACC-type school.  There usually will need to be a successful JMU-like gig in between.

Whoever it is, there's a long road ahead: 4 2015 commits, and 0 2016 and 2017 commits. And JUCO players are being snapped up by other programs. Hard to argue that they will be competitive before 2019.

If anyone knows of the rationale behind their recruiting "strategy," please advise. Craziest thing to pre-announce a retirement which allowed the pipeline to dry up. On the other hand, GMU, Radford, VCU, ODU, et al benefited from this.

Coach Kuhn is what, 46? It'll take about 5 years to get JMU turned around, if it gets turned around. That's a big risk that may not be tolerable for someone in their late 40's, but not as big as someone in their 30's who needs a stepping stone.

Last edited by joemktg

Good observations.  The elephant in the room that few have discussed is the success rate of pitching coaches as they migrate from the specialization aspects of pitching to an overall program leadership position.  Any coach from a big time program like Virginia (now)  can come in and establish the program.  But it takes a very balanced and well schooled baseball person to recruit top hitting and defensive players.  Additionally, what you don't know as a head coach invariably bites you in the "rear".  I know all the standard arguments about how we could bring in experts at the assistant coach level for hitting, defense and base-running etc., but it never seems to work that well.  When Coach Sullenger left JMU in 2011 the program had another NCAA regional appearance and 44 wins overall.  Since that time JMU has barely won 44 games in the last four years combined.  My point is that Coach Kuhn might be a great coach, but he may not be the competitive answer for JMU even if a high priced package was put together for him. 

Good observations.  The elephant in the room that few have discussed is the success rate of pitching coaches as they migrate from the specialization aspects of pitching to an overall program leadership position.  Any coach from a big time program like Virginia (now)  can come in and establish the program.  But it takes a very balanced and well schooled baseball person to recruit top hitting and defensive players.  Additionally, what you don't know as a head coach invariably bites you in the "rear".  I know all the standard arguments about how we could bring in experts at the assistant coach level for hitting, defense and base-running etc., but it never seems to work that well.  When Coach Sullenger left JMU in 2011 the program had another NCAA regional appearance and 44 wins overall.  Since that time JMU has barely won 44 games in the last four years combined.  My point is that Coach Kuhn might be a great coach, but he may not be the competitive answer for JMU even if a high priced package was put together for him. 

I haven't run the stats on the success rate of head coaches who were previously pitching coaches; but that approach is working well for UVA.

Interesting perspective.  The bolded comment caught my eye.  It would seem that a coach either has a background in pitching or hitting/fielding, so aren't all coaches equally susceptible to this blind spot?  Are you suggesting that pitching is an easier skill to delegate to an assistant than hitting?

Last edited by Smitty28

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.