Skip to main content

Have heard this happen many times. A ball player who is playing pro ball. Their girlfriends follow them to their minor league team and in the off season convince them to quit pro ball and stay home with them and get a job.

Many of the girlfriends extremely concern their guy will find someone better and break up with them while they are playing pro ball. Often they are assigned in pro ball 3,000 miles away.

In each case, the player who quit pro ball for their girlfriend, later broke up with the girl and extremely regretted they ended their pro career.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Believe it or not, this happens A LOT at Service Academies. And again, they always agonize, and ALWAYS regret having done what at the "height of passion" seemed like the best move for their future.

A ban on girlfriends? We're just glad we're not one of the MANY families coming up on graduation, where the invitation says "come for the graduation / stay for the wedding".

cadDAD

quote:
Originally posted by AcademyDad:

Believe it or not, this happens A LOT at Service Academies. And again, they always agonize, and ALWAYS regret having done what at the "height of passion" seemed like the best move for their future.

A ban on girlfriends? We're just glad we're not one of the MANY families coming up on graduation, where the invitation says "come for the graduation / stay for the wedding".

cadDAD

I'll be sending out invites to "come for the graduation / stay for the fishing...camoflague optional"
I 've heard this happens many times. A girlfriend who is there supporting and encouraging her minor league boyfriend, helping him get through the rough times. Being left behind while he his on the road. Putting her career on hold because of his crazy way of life...Because she knows this is his dream..his time.
Don't blame the girl friends.... we are all responsible for our own actions.

Orlando,

Great story. And so true. Still happens today.

They refer to them as the 2%Club, and it's at WP as well as on the Yard (Naptown). When you go to I-Day (Induction Day, when you basically watch them cross the "white line"... and they don't belong to you anymore), you can spot them a mile away. And those of us who "are in the know" just smile and whisper "2%Club"... at which point cadMOM usually gives me an elbow in the ribs. But I'm sure it's basically true of almost any college... the girlfriends move on, or get left behind, kids grow, "stuff" happens...

It's just so pronounced at the Academies, and I'm sure in the Minors as well, as the priorities and growth of those involved is so different than those who "try to keep up".

Now... what happens when a cadKID becomes a Minor Leaguer? Oy.... Everyone keep your fingers crossed... it's all coming up....

cadDAD

Why? Did Tom Cruise become a Minor Leaguer?

Probably why there was no sequel to An Officer & A Gentleman....

cadKID#1 came home (well, cadMOM and I were in Colorado Springs) with a Jack Daniel's Girl recently and cadDAD was.....

ALLRIGHT!!!!!

cadMOM was beside herself.... and then again, and this seems to happen a lot, I get an elbow in the ribs. cadKID#2 just shuffles his feet, grins at me and says, "Dad, what were you thinking?"

DADs.... defend me here....

cadDAD

Touche, Orlando. Except that I disagree on a few of those points.

There's always strings attached with that girl. That you allow her to sit in the stands at every game and don't let it bother you when she yells at the umpire when you get thrown out at first. That you don't let it bother you when she complains about not getting the call on the backdoor curve. That you don't let it bother you when she asks you if you have water everytime you jog by her on the bleachers. That you don't let it bother you when she tells you that you need to stop spitting so much because "I don't care if you're on a baseball field, it looks tacky."

And there are ALWAYS mind games with this girl. Like when you hit a walk-off home run and she let's you choose what dinner is that night. Or you complain about the ump's calls and she tells you to suck it up and go do your homework. Or when you complain about the amount of running in practice, she tells you that no one is forcing you to be there, and then she tells you to suck it up and go do your homework. Or when you call her upset on the bus ride home and she consoles you and makes you feel better about the tough loss. Then, when you get home, she tells you to shower quickly and then suck it up and go do your homework.

The only thing I must agree with here, Orlando, is the supporting of the dream part. That's why I don't mind that Mom tortures me with all this stuff Smile
JH, I coached my son for years so (when he entered hs) we had a conversation about "my behavior" Wink that included no coaching from the stands and no "personal remarks" Wink. The yelling at the umpire wasn't an issue as I had preached too long about how complaining about the umpire was about as effective as complaining about the weather. Maybe, in a relaxed moment, you could have the same type of conversation.

And your second paragraph? Sounds like a good Mom to me....what would you have her do? (Somehow I suspect you already know what a good Mom you have. Wink)
quote:
Originally posted by J H:
Orlando-

There's only two things that I don't like about her during the games that I wish she'd change. One is that sometimes I'd prefer a Gatorade over water and she never has the right drink. The other...I want to choose dinner every night Smile

JH I realize your just kiddin around, but having your mother bring you drinks during a game?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.