Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes pray for him. Those injuries sound very serious.

"He was internally decapitated I was told, he severed his tendons, ligaments and muscle tissue on the left side of his neck it was not cut, all the damage was done inside but his spinal cord was in tact and miraculously was responding to the doctors and even managed a thumbs up."
quote:
Originally posted by Daingean:
Yes pray for him. Those injuries sound very serious.

"He was internally decapitated I was told, he severed his tendons, ligaments and muscle tissue on the left side of his neck it was not cut, all the damage was done inside but his spinal cord was in tact and miraculously was responding to the doctors and even managed a thumbs up."

I have read some articles on this type of injury and it's truly amazing how the good Lord can look over us in times of danger. Basically in this type of injury the only thing holding the head to the body is the skin and spinal column. If the surgery(ies) go well then there is a chance to fully recover because it's really no different than a torn ligament in a knee or regular broken bone. But the location of being near so many vital parts - spinal column and major blood vessels - make it very risky. I'm not a doctor so I may have gotten some of the info wrong but that is the way I took the articles.

I thought Baseball Tonight did a very nice tribute to Nick last night on their show leading off.
Coach, I know a guy who suffered an internal decapatation while surfing. He did recover fully. He had the necessary surgery when the swelling went down and he wore a halo (stabilizing head gear) for months but he recovered fully.

Lets hope Jon has a similar story. Sounds like a great kid.

When my father had a spinal cord injury (falling off a roof)we were told to pick between UCI or Loma Linda both were world class for spinal injuries. So Jon is in the right place for the injury.
By Matt Coker in A Clockwork Orange, Main, Your Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

It's been highly publicized that Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart, 22, was killed in a collision just after midnight Friday. Some reporters have even added that Courtney Frances Stewart, the 20-year-old Diamond Bar resident who was driving the Mitsubishi Eclipse Adenhart rode in, and another passenger, Henry Nigel Pearson, 25, of Manhattan Beach, were also killed.

There has been less mentioned about the fourth person in the car, lone survivor Jon Wilhite, who at press time had his condition upgraded but remained hospitalized at UC Irvine Medical Center with critical injuries, although he is expected to survive.

Friends and family of the 24-year-old Manhattan Beach resident have come up with a ways to help the former Cal State Fullerton catcher. A trust fund has been set up in his name through Wells Fargo bank. Go to any branch and deposit gifts to account number 3980643658.

A prayer service will be conducted on Wilhite's behalf at the Titans' game Friday at Goodwin Field against the University of the Pacific. Game time is 7 p.m. Orange and blue wristbands will be sold for $5 apiece that state, "Jon Wilhite--Titan Family Forever." Funds raised will help offset his staggering medical bills. "We have gotten so many requests from people that are out of state, so we made an order form that is available on the group page," say Jennica Norby and Danielle Perkins in an email to the Weekly.

You can join the Facebook group by signing in, searching for the "R.I.P. Nick Adenhart, Jon Wilhite" page and hitting "join."

"Just like the Angels organization, we have a strong bond as a Titan family," write Norby and Perkins. "Through thick and thin at the end of the day we are here for each other."

Wilhite's family issued a statement posted on the Titans website which reads: "Our thoughts and prayers are with Courtney, Henry and Nick's families as they deal with this horrific tragedy.
We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support we have received since this senseless act of violence and ask for your continued prayers for Jon's recovery."

The Titans site also includes a request from the family of Stewart, who attended CSUF and was a former cheerleader:

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in Courtney Stewart's name to the "Be Perfect Foundation" founded by her childhood friend, Hal Hargrave. Hal suffered a life-altering car accident just 6 weeks after his high school graduation which left him a quadriplegic. Donations can be made in Courtney's name via this link OR via check* by mailing directly to:

Be Perfect Foundation
2700 N. Garey Ave.
Pomona, CA 91767

*Please write in Courtney Stewart's name in the memo section.

Friends and members of Stewart's CSUF Cheer Squad plan to walk in her honor at the MADD Walk-a-Thon in Huntington Beach on May 9. You can support them by making a donation in Courtney Stewart's name here.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.