Skip to main content

I get a kick out of how some of the threads here at HSBBW evolve…... First we start with some commentary on Jugs guns, get a little humor, a few insults are thrown out about hair dryer guns and dads, some more commentary about the differences between the guns, some more insults about parents and guns (starting to see a trend here), a little more humor, parents firing coaches, coaches cutting a kids (because his dad has a gun), a coach espousing how great his program is, some commentary about a kid not getting a scholarship because his dad has a gun, guns as a tool, guns in press boxes, coaches laughing at dads with a guns, loaning guns, gun etiquette, and finally I’ve been gunned a 1000 times……

Hey this sounds like a perfect country western song…..
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
I get a kick out of how some of the threads here at HSBBW evolve…... First we start with some commentary on Jugs guns, get a little humor, a few insults are thrown out about hair dryer guns and dads, some more commentary about the differences between the guns, some more insults about parents and guns (starting to see a trend here), a little more humor, parents firing coaches, coaches cutting a kids (because his dad has a gun), a coach espousing how great his program is, some commentary about a kid not getting a scholarship because his dad has a gun, guns as a tool, guns in press boxes, coaches laughing at dads with a guns, loaning guns, gun etiquette, and finally I’ve been gunned a 1000 times……

I once dropped my gun Eek Oh wait!- that wasnt me -that was my friend Plaxico! Smile Roll Eyes
My dad is retired, bored, and has a Jugs gun. He takes it with him while going to ballgames just to pass time, and it keeps him occupied. He will flat tell you in a second that the Jugs gives a 2 mph faster reading than the stalker. When I tell him that it's the Stalker that scouts care about, he shrugs and tells me when they buy him one he'll use their readings then! lol.

I've had to tell him that this spring he'll have to keep that thing at home. Younggun's collegiate career begins in 3 weeks and I don't want him behind the plate gunning him. He pouted, but understood.

What NC said earlier about coaches not wanting meddling parents when they sign a kid is spot on. My son's JUCO coach said he really got a lot out of speaking to the parents, especially the dad, because it gave him an ideal of what to expect during the season.
Last edited by YoungGunDad
We must be Stalkers #1 customer. We own somewhere around 100 Stalker radar guns. We used to have many Jugs guns, too. They were almost always a MPH or two, sometimes even higher than the Stalker readings. Sometimes they would be the same.

We now use only Stalker guns, the main reason is because nearly all MLB scouts and most colleges use the Stalker. Seeing that we report information to them, we want to be on the same page as those people.
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:

Hey, you know the old adage that if you play back a Rock song you hear devils chants, and if you play back a Country-Western song you get the house back, the dog back, the wife back?

If we played back your Country-Western Baseball Gun song backwards, we'd get back all those annoying parents whose kids dropped by the wayside.. you know, the one that complained about the h.s. coach, the gun being off, the politics, the fact little Johnny is better than the other guy in right field?

(Sigh.) Let's stick with Polka music, if you please BOF.
Funny thing about Dads without radar guns. You ask them what their son is throwing (velocity) and it is simply amazing that their son is not in some big D1 program or MLB.

My dad showed some Dads what their sons were throwing (when asked) and he never saw them again the remainder of the season.

Radar guns are the great Silencer!
quote:
Originally posted by love summer time ball:
Bum funny you posted that. At a local batting cage last year a guy we did not know saw my gun and ask me to gun his kid I did it read 53-55 on a couple he looked at me said you gun is wrong it is at least 68-69.

Mcdsguy HSBBW pitching rule number 1. Ask Dad and subtract 7.

Seems like in Alabama there is a multiplication factor of 1.86 to 2.29.
love summer time ball..

I have always felt awkward talking to local dads about radar speeds because I have always told the truth. So I'm telling some dad Bum, Jr. is hitting X and he's telling me his son is hitting X+2, when I really know it's X-5. Fortunately, those dads (and their sons) have fallen by the wayside and in college the numbers will be there for all to see.

Good or bad.
There are several things that can cause guns to malfunction. We have sent several in to be recalibrated or for other repairs. Nearly always the Stalkers will be the same or one mph difference if there is no interference. If they are more than that... one of the guns is not working correctly. The tuning fork on both guns needs to be used.

quote:
I started thinking they bump it up a few mph just to make it seem cooler for the fans.

When someone invents the gun that allows adjusting like that, it might end up being very popular. However, scouts won't be using it. That said, the most innacurate readings we have seen come from stadium displays. Both faster and slower readings.
As a parent who doesn't coach I have a different perspective on pitch speed.
To me it's like hitting in this way. I really don't need to know how fast he is throwing or what his batting average is to know how well or poorly he is doing.

My son is a position player and part time pitcher. He's 16.
In all the years he has played, the only time I knew his batting average was when he was 8 and the coach put a package together for each kid at the year end pizza party. And the first time I ever heard his in-game pitch speed was this past fall. The coach told him, while we were walking out of the park, that he was throwing well and hit xx mph and should work on his pitching more.

I can tell without all the stats whether he is throwing well or hitting well. He knows also, and so does anyone watching. That goes for all kids.

Does his swing look good? Is he driving the ball? Does his pitch have pop? Is he working hard in the field? Is he contributing? That's the big question. These questions I can answer without the stats.

When someone asks me how hard he throws I tell them I don't know the number but he seemed to be throwing pretty hard or he seemed out of sync. Would I like to hear that he hit a certain milestone MPH? Yes, if someone wants to tell me. But I don't see what good it does me to know. Is a scout going to ask me how hard he throws? I doubt it. When someone needs to know how fast he throws, his batting average, or how many HR's he hit he will find out for himself or ask the appropriate person.
fillsfan, that is a great perspective. One thing I can tell you is.. you don't really need a radar gun. If he is lighting up the board the scouts will have plenty of guns around to peek at.. and from my experience friends that will give you reports.

Although I'm known by some to "obsess" over velocity, actually when Bum, Jr. is pitching I don't want to know. My wife is just the opposite and loves to know, but I don't. She'll come over and start to say "he's throwing 'xx' or 'xx' " and I'll start babbling 'Lalalalalala!' like the guy in the movie "Fever Pitch" who wants to drown out the conversation of the guy in the restaurant talking about the results of a game he is taping. Only after the game I like to know.
Last edited by Bum
I think everybody likes to know. Including the kids. Not wanting to know, or saying it doesn't matter is like saying we're not going to keep score. As long as you play your best, it doesn't matter what the score is.

I know pitching velocity is different, but in a way it is the same. It is a competition between pitchers and it is a competition within a pitcher to better himself. Are there other important things? Of course. If you can throw 100mph, but no where near the strike zone, you won't be doing it long.

Not saying you should be out there every game measuring pitch speed, but doing it a couple of times a year to see how things are going is fine. If a dad wants to do that, so what? I'll agree a dad shouldn't be out there bugging the **** out of scouts or being a pain. But to get a reading a couple of times a year, I don't have a problem with that.

I know my son likes to hear that he has gone up 4mph in the last 6 months or whatever. It is a form of positive reinforcement. He has been lifting and doing band work over the last two months. Once the season starts, we would both love to get a reading to see if he has made any progress by doing all that.

Whether you use a Jugs or a Stalker to do this, I don't really think it matters.
Actually I wish every dad had a radar gun and used it. Then there wouldn't be so many complaints about our guns being broken, inaccurate or we had the wrong pitcher or speed recorded.

We once had a dad who stood behind our scouts looking at the radar gun. I got a call after we released his son's top velocity at 81 mph. He said that he personally saw a 94 mph from his son. We checked video and our charts to make sure. Our records showed his son threw every fastball from 77 to 81. We checked the charts on the hitters he faced and found one very revealing note on one of those hitters. (Line shot up middle, 94 mph off bat). So dad was correct about seeing a 94, but I guess he didn't understand that not many throw every pitch 77-81 and then throw a 94 mph fastball and then see that 94 mph pitch get scalded past the pitchers ear. Sometimes the "off the bat" reading can be confusing, but not in this case. Then you wonder how many were told about that 94mph arm.

Anyone can sit by themself in the stands with a radar gun or a camera. That never bothered me as long as they kept to themselves. Why would anyone care unless that person was actually bothering them? Not everyone is a pest.

People should understand that scout and recruiter contact that involves real interest is almost always initiated by the scout or recruiter. If your son is good enough, they will look you up.
That is a great example PG!

It makes you wonder if a Dad like that knows pitch after pitch if the velocity is consisently the same, and if he knew what a 94mph fastball actually looked or felt like that even he would notice such a huge jump.

I think it would be fair to say that most of us couldn't or wouldn't notice a big change in velocity if his kid threw a few around 84 or 84mph. I don't think 3-4mph is that easily discernible to notice for us laymen. To PG it might be. lol. But I will say that I remember watching Nick Fuller throw at East Cobb a few years back and he was hitting 94mph like it just another day to him. 94mph will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up!

PG, my dad is that guy you refer to that just sits there and guns pitchers just for giggles and his own pleasure. He doesn't bother a soul nor use his gun to make it known how kids are doing. Since his grandson was a pitcher he just wanted to learn more about pitching, velocities, etc. and had a couple extra bucks in his pocket.
I can sure tell the difference between 94 and 84 - with my eyes "aging" watching 94 from the side there is a blur going by whereas I can still track 84

Seriously, at least at most high school fields where the backstop is close, 94 is something you can hear in the air - it makes a buzzing sound you will never forget...
FWIW, I gunned my son last Saturday in his last lesson inside before the HS season starts. With my Jugs gun, he was consistently 81-82. In a scrimmage game last night as part of the tryouts, he was gunned on a stalker and low and behold he was consistently 81-82.

By the way, he is a frehman and made the varsity team as a pitcher. Pretty proud moment.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.