Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hard to compare, but this years class has some serious hitters and with power.  Pitching is very strong at the top.   Perhaps the best HS pitcher we have seen in years.  The son of a HSBBW member is one of the best hitters we have seen in awhile. Both those two are scheduled to be in Jupiter.  Over all it looks like this year is a bit better than last year for early draft prospects, but it's still too early to say.

Those are both excellent hitting prospects.  Guess we won't know for a few years which will be the best, but the most professional swing, with the most bat speed and power to go with great plate discipline IMO belongs to Joe Rizzo who will playing for the Canes, I believe.  We should see all three this week.

Rutherford and Moniak from California are two others to consider.  All great hitters but Rizzo and Rutherford have more power.  Upper Deck power!  There are some other hitters to consider as well.

Our All American game is held at Petco Park in San Diego.  Over the years Petco has been one of the hardest Major League stadiums to hit home runs.  Usually the winner of the PG Home Run contest hits between 4-7.  This year the four finalists hit 61 home runs.  Never have we seen anywhere near that much power in an amateur event.

-And wish Blake Rutherford was going to Jupiter. Excellent hitter, great kid.

-If you got Carlos Cortes and Joe Rizzo in a room and asked who was the better hitter, my bet is that they'd both laugh and couldn't care less: both are thirsty to win this week, and that's all that matters right now.

After Jupiter? Both will be wearing the garnet and black for Coach Holbrook at South Carolina. Betcha Coaches Holbrook, Espo and Meyers are pretty happy about that!

Not understanding why son had game tying 2 RBI Double in big game tonight against Top 5 team (only lost by 1, so I'm sure can be figured out...I'm thinking 'game of the night' judging by golf cart attendance) and Game Changer does not have him with 2 RBI (He's listed in 2 offensive categories but not RBI)...is it PG staff again incorrectly scoring games?  Would love some input.  Really don't want to hear about "Oh...it happens!"

By the way...his stat line was 2/3 1B/2B/2RBI/SB...un-assisted double play (he played SS tonight) 

Last edited by Ceeheezee
Originally Posted by Ceeheezee:

Not understanding why son had game tying 2 RBI Double in big game tonight against Top 5 team (only lost by 1, so I'm sure can be figured out...I'm thinking 'game of the night' judging by golf cart attendance) and Game Changer does not have him with 2 RBI (He's listed in 2 offensive categories but not RBI)...is it PG staff again incorrectly scoring games?  Would love some input.  Really don't want to hear about "Oh...it happens!"

By the way...his stat line was 2/3 1B/2B/2RBI/SB...un-assisted double play (he played SS tonight) 

A PG staffer runs GameChanger on the field.  I would email staff@perfectgame.org with your concerns.  They do an exceptional job at trying to get things right.

FWIW, it doesn't impact his exposure.

Originally Posted by joemktg:
Originally Posted by phillyinNJ:

Velocities are being posted on the PG site, correct?  Was looking at a team from my area and haven't seen any yet...must take a few days i am guessing.

The best place to find real time velos is TrackMan (www.trackmanbaseball.com). All past and live games are covered with more detail to pitches thrown (and balls hit) than anywhere else.

wow...thanks!

Unbelievable the amount of info that is on there...

Observations from Jupiter...

1. No dominant team.  Unlike last year, I don't see any team that seems like a shoe in.  Evoshield and Mets Scout Teams seemed like teams of destiny and they were.  One of the favorites to win it ended up losing two games.  

2. Northern teams not well represented.  It's really apparent that we have a ways to go to match up with the warm weather states.  The southern and western states have so many teams and great players here, I don't see us catching up. 

3.  Hype reigns supreme!   I didn't think it was really true but I saw a game scored which clearly benefited on of PG's chosen kids.  That's all I will say.  PG makes it choices and it is beginning to impact their reputation.  I heard so many parents talk about it this weekend.  Kids overlooked while others are written up for loud outs.  

There are so many good players out there.  You see many of these kids playing the game right.  I think PG gets locked in on some and never lets go.  Many of the over-hyped aren't living up to expectations and others are getting good pro scout exposure.

4. Better hitters this year vs. 2014,  Better premium pitchers last year.  I don't think there's any question about that.  

5. Food...Finally, my favorite gripe.  C'mon PG...Get some decent concession options.  Love the food at Lake Point and I understand it's not your facility but goodness sakes. Maybe pressure the stadium to provide a decent food truck at each entrance?  Our high school concession is 100X better.   

Please! I'm sorry you feel that way, but quit complaining and enjoy what is going on.  BTW, there will be some 200 or more pitchers that have touched 90mph or more. The top hitters, the top players, the top pitchers will not go unnoticed by us.

I remember years ago on this site, some were complaining about all the "hype" one player was getting.  His name... Bryce Harper

BTW, do you really think we have anything whatsoever to do with the food? We simply pay for it and eat it, Just like everyone else.  You know I never thought to complain about it. In fact, nobody has ever complained about the food in Jupiter, to me. It has actually improved over the years.

And out of the first 8 teams that qualified for the playoffs, 3 are Northern teams.  Chicago Scouts Association, Midland Ohio, Ontario Blue Jays.

Is there anything you like?

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

BTW, do you really think we have anything whatsoever to do with the food? We simply pay for it and eat it, Just like everyone else.  You know I never thought to complain about it. In fact, nobody has ever complained about the food in Jupiter, to me. It has actually improved over the years.

And out of the first 8 teams that qualified for the playoffs, 3 are Northern teams.  Chicago Scouts Association, Midland Ohio, Ontario Blue Jays.

Is there anything you like?

Yes.  I love the tournament.  The competition is fantastic and PG runs it well.  That has nothing to do with a joke about food at Roger Dean Stadium or your love fest with certain players.  I even complimented the food at Lake Point and recognized that it isn't your choice.  If you weren't so sensitive, you would have read it correctly.  

You are correct that three northern teams made it to qualifying rounds. The comment about Northern teams not being well represented referred to the sheer lack of numbers.  By the way...One of the those northern teams has about half their roster from non-Northern states.  Baseball is in trouble up North because kids aren't playing it as much.  

Finally, me thinks doth protest too much! Your sensitivity is due to the comment about your fave players.  

JimT, for what it's worth, I think maybe you don't realize how your posts come off regarding PG.  You have consistently complained about the "lovefest with certain players".  PG comes on and replies, stating exactly how players are rated, graded, moved up and down, what criteria are used, why there is no reason or place for personal bias, etc.  Then you backtrack and praise PG and their event.  Then, a while later, it's wash, rinse and repeat.  If there is anyone of the hundreds of members and guests who does not protest too much over the years, it is PG (as is evident by his offer for you to come and ask him any questions personally right there at the site).

I would be curious as to what you think makes the "fave players" faves in the eyes of PG.  It seems evident that what you think should be valued highest is different than what the PG organization thinks should be valued as to ratings and reviews.  It also seems evident that the PG organization is as successful at these valuations as anyone in the universe.  So, while nothing is perfect...

I think an example is one instance where you complained about a player getting press for making a "loud out", while another who had great numbers didn't get the same attention.  It is certainly understandable that an organization trying to project would find more value (perhaps also considering who was pitching) in a player being able to square up on a ball with power and showing, via mechanics and athleticism, the likelihood of being able to do so consistently may have more value than a player who has a successful day statistically with a standard GB thru the 5-6 hole and a soft liner base hit to right.  I'm sure you've got less clear-cut examples refuting this but you get my point.

I think some of us who have been around the site a while are somewhat defensive of PG (not that he needs it) because he has been so generous with his contributions here and so consistently straight-forward, honest, willing to listen to suggestions for improvement (except when the same poster keeps making the same suggestions), willing to help any one he can and is such a valuable resource for credible information, particularly regarding all things PG. He has proven himself over and over as a person of high integrity.  He has helped countless players, parents and coaches here.  Please recognize this and help us preserve this awesome privilege.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Just left Jupiter. All I can say is wow! That was really cool. Amazing group of talented kids. We are so happy our son got to experience playing against that kind of competition.  And playing a night game in front of literally hundreds of scouts is an experience he will never forget. Btw we never checked his stats so I don't know if they are right. And I'm not sure if his ranking will go up or down after this. Don't really care! He had a blast, he played well and he will never forget it. Plus the lemonade is really excellent.
Originally Posted by nothingtodust:
Just left Jupiter. All I can say is wow! That was really cool. Amazing group of talented kids. We are so happy our son got to experience playing against that kind of competition.  And playing a night game in front of literally hundreds of scouts is an experience he will never forget. Btw we never checked his stats so I don't know if they are right. And I'm not sure if his ranking will go up or down after this. Don't really care! He had a blast, he played well and he will never forget it. Plus the lemonade is really excellent.

You got it right, its all about the experience, everything else comes second!

Best of luck to your player!

Been there 4 times in the past in other capacities, but this was our first trip with a Va. Cardinals squad.  So much thanks to PG for finding a way to slide us in there!  We ended pool play unbeaten at 3-0-1 but unfortunately let in just one run too many and lost our playoff slot to the Scorpions/Mets team whom we had tied 1-1 yesterday.  Especially proud of our core group of guys who won the whole shootin' match at Ft. Myers last year and then came back together for Jupiter.  I guess that makes them 11-0-1 in those two premier events for their age group. Gonna miss having those guys in our lineup!  But it was a great capper to a great run for our 2016's.

We also just returned from Jupiter.  I have never seen anything like it.  It was really something to see so many of the best players all in one place.   I was amazed that my son was even on the same field.  My son told me on the drive home that there always seemed to be scouts around.  They would come in the dug out and talk with some of the players.   I hope we manage to get back there next year when he is a senior.

I also noticed a coach from his top choice school watching two of the games my son was playing in.   I hope he liked what he saw.   

Even with everyone telling me how it was it still has to be seen to be believed.  Thursday night was pretty cool.  Top RHP on the mound for Evoshield Canes and the place was packed and just electric.  All of my son's teammates were there and we didn't play until 5 or so the next day.  They just wanted to take it all in.

Son's future college coach was there and after he pitched he commented to me in passing that nothing can prepare a player for the pressure at the next level but pitching against this competition and in this environment is one of only a few things that can come even close.  

Originally Posted by baseballdad65:

Will the championship game be televised like last year?

I don't believe so.

Our boys are playing great!!  Don't think we have ever met though. LOL.  I'm Bryant's dad. Joe and Bryant have become really good friends. Bryant is playing with a bad bone bruise on his left thumb happened the other night. Reason he did not play yesterday morning and they took him out after a base hit 2nd game yesterday he said it was hurting. Championship games must play on.

Last edited by baseballdad65

Will the championship game be televised like last year?

I don't believe so.

Our boys are playing great!!  Don't think we have ever met though. LOL.  I'm Bryant's dad. Joe and Bryant have become really good friends. Bryant is playing with a bad bone bruise on his left thumb happened the other night. Reason he did not play yesterday morning and they took him out after a base hit 2nd game yesterday he said it was hurting. Championship games must play on.

Hey baseballdad65! I heard about the injury. B's been killing it this week. Great stuff.

Nancy has been Periscoping J's ABs. I can ask her to Periscope B's ABs. Let me know.

Canes vs. Canes in the finals!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.