Skip to main content

Originally Posted by redbird5:

The finals are set:

EvoShield Canes, giving up only 1 run in 7 games.  The most dominant performance in recent history.

and they will face...

TeamEvoShield, made up of primarily 2017 EvoShield Canes and players from our "2nd teams"

this is just ridiculous. I watched your squad at the underclass a couple weeks ago and was very impressed but please...now you guys are just showing off!

Originally Posted by old_school:

The finals are set:

EvoShield Canes, giving up only 1 run in 7 games.  The most dominant performance in recent history.

and they will face...

TeamEvoShield, made up of primarily 2017 EvoShield Canes and players from our "2nd teams"

this is just ridiculous. I watched your squad at the underclass a couple weeks ago and was very impressed but please...now you guys are just showing off!

hahaha...when we did this in 2013 at the 16U WWB...Canes vs. Canes...it was a great feeling.  This is just indescribable.  Jupiter is by far the most difficult tournament to win.  You have to play great baseball and get a couple of breaks here and there.

Congrats redbird5 to you and the Canes organization on winning PG WWBA Championship in Jupiter again this year.  Big shout out to baseballdad65 and joemktg who both have sons on the victorious side.  Bacdorslider and Rich S have a lot to be proud with their young bucks making it to the finals.  Great job by all.

Originally Posted by old_school:

The finals are set:

and they will face...

hahaha...when we did this in 2013 at the 16U WWB...Canes vs. Canes...it was a great feeling.  This is just indescribable.  Jupiter is by far the most difficult tournament to win.  You have to play great baseball and get a couple of breaks here and there.

Congrats Redbird5 on your impressive win at Jupiter. My 2016 lhp was on the losing side of a 2-1 game. Considering that his adopted team had one D1 commit while the opposition had twelve, he performed admirably with 6 K’s and 1 BB. He went the distance and I found it amusing that the GC recap said he lasted just six innings.

Originally Posted by joemktg:

Could not be happier for joemktgson, all of his teammates, all Canes coaches past and present, and the whole organization. 

Other than a state 11U tournament, that was joemktgson's first championship. No better time.

Joe, 

I can't believe you are discounting those back to back Concorde District championships.  Don't be a high school ball hater!!

I wounder sometimes if hitting a number is a good thing..... I wonder about longevity and damage at an early age.  If a player is hitting 87 and is pitching well... and you can tell he is going to be a 90+ guy in the future why is it so important to hit 90 now? 

I think the talent at Jupiter was great, but I did see some that were 90+ smooth and 90+ out of the zone so to speak.   But you are correct I bet this is a record.

I will have to check but I believe this is a record.

The harder they throw the more susceptible they are to injury.  Also the more likely they become an early draft pick and the more likely they have a great scholarship at a top college.

IMO those young high velocity pitchers need to weigh the risk and reward involved.  And it does seem like there are more of them every year.  They need to be wise as to the events they attend and pitch.  To throw 7 innings in front of one or two scouts might not be worth the risk.  To throw 2 or 3 innings in front of most of the decision makers might be worth a small fortune. In other words, it might be wise to monitor the risk and save that arm as much as possible. Only thing is, you don't become a valuable pitcher by not pitching. So while too much might be risky, too little has no chance for the reward.  You don't get better at something by not doing it. It can be a balancing act.

That said there was another large group of pitchers that topped out at 88-89 mph and a lot that were below that In Jupiter.  Some in that group will end up throwing much harder in the future.  One or two mph is not enough velocity to say one pitcher is better than another.

The tough part is trying to predict which pitchers will be the best 3-4-5 years from now.  And it's not like everyone throwing 90 is equal. One 90 mph guy can be heads and tails better than another 90 guy.  In fact, some 87-88 mph guys can be better prospects than some 90 mph guys.

For some reason, the number of pitchers that have pitched in the Jupiter tournament and later had TJ surgery, is a much smaller % than than the average pitcher in professional baseball.  We are studying that and trying to figure out why that might be.

I will say this... The % of professional pitchers from the USA that have had TJ surgery is 16%.  The % of professional pitchers from the Dominican that have had TJ surgery is 16%.  Exactly the same percentage!  

Does this tell us anything?  Where are pitchers most likely to play year around? What % of the HS age pitchers become professional pitchers from each country?  What is the average velocity of those professional pitchers from each country? Why is the TJ rate the same?  I think there is still a lot to research. IMO

In the meantime we need to take arm care seriously.  I don't think telling kids to throw with less velocity will ever work.

another informed  post by  PGStaff............. while I want 2018 to do his best and hit the 90 mark... I will live with 89 in Jupiter.   

I think if your use your head and have an established throwing program and stick to it, you will see gradual results while keeping your arm in good shape. 

If you do not take care of the wing, and throw too often, too much, not enough rest,  no down time and throw incorrectly, then you are going to have trouble.  

And some of it is how the body is made, and some just have a gift.

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

A) The harder they throw the more susceptible they are to injury.  

B) For some reason, the number of pitchers that have pitched in the Jupiter tournament and later had TJ surgery, is a much smaller % than than the average pitcher in professional baseball.  We are studying that and trying to figure out why that might be.

Susceptibility to injury seems to correlate with the level of effort. However, you're seeing a lower % of TJ surgery vs. pro ball. 

As I inferred above, I would not at all be surprised if the various velo programs, e.g. weighted ball throwing programs, have had a positive impact. Speeds are increasing, injuries decreasing.

In addition, these are the children of the youth pitch limit rules. This may also have an impact on injury reduction.

In both cases (speeds up, injuries down), this probably will impact MLB free agency: younger players with superior training methods can substitute for veteran players at a lower cost. Middle market teams rejoice!

With higher velocity will come injuries. You have to include the number of injuries to the shoulder, back, etc. for any study to be viable. TJS is just one type of injury to pitchers.

The result of the higher velocity is because that is where the money and college scholarships are at the better programs.  Thats why kids are in the gym much earlier than they were years ago. To build a better body when the body is still growing, isnt always a good thing. Workouts should be age appropriates.    Many  injuries are a result of poor and excessive work routines as well as no work out routine.

A lot depends on physical maturity. That's a good study I would think!

Without as doubt the increase in velocity in young mlb studs has changed free agency.  Its great food MLB owners. You can have a coist controlled guy for 500k blow out his arm and have a few more waiting in the wings, why pay millions for a guy who may not make it to the mound vaftervyou sign him?

Just sayin....

Originally Posted by TPM:

With higher velocity will come injuries. You have to include the number of injuries to the shoulder, back, etc. for any study to be viable. TJS is just one type of injury to pitchers.

The result of the higher velocity is because that is where the money and college scholarships are at the better programs.  Thats why kids are in the gym much earlier than they were years ago. To build a better body when the body is still growing, isnt always a good thing. Workouts should be age appropriates.    Many  injuries are a result of poor and excessive work routines as well as no work out routine.

A lot depends on physical maturity. That's a good study I would think!

Without as doubt the increase in velocity in young mlb studs has changed free agency.  Its great food MLB owners. You can have a coist controlled guy for 500k blow out his arm and have a few more waiting in the wings, why pay millions for a guy who may not make it to the mound vaftervyou sign him?

Just sayin....

I agree. Noticing many labrum issues as well.  I've seen an increase in velocity here in our area (midwest) and it's not just the 6-4 220 studs. Not like the weather has changed either and the boys are playing more outside.  I think a main concern is the "unsupervised" training, with many kids working outside of a program customized for them.  Alot of use of the weighted balls recently, but I doubt that many are actually performing the drills correctly.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.