Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have noticed that throughout the tournaments, my HS team seems to be on the smaller side in terms of amounts of players. How many kids are some of your (being anyone) teams carrying, and do they carry that many on varsity for district? It seems like it'd be tough to keep everyone happy, but it also seems less effective if younger kids aren't getting playing time that could be on JV. Maybe these numbers are bigger because of seniors?
I guess I have a different perspective on this issue than most people. The great part about baseball is the number of games a team gets to play that don't really count in the standings. All of the pre-district and non-district games gives a coach a great opportunity to get guys in that won't play a lot of innings during district. Now I do believe you need to have your "starters" ready for district, but I also believe that you give everyone on your bench some time on the field. The guys that sit the bench go to practice everyday like the starters and for the most part work just as hard. By doing this, you keep up the morale of the entire team. You never know when you might need that backup during district play and you need him to be ready. And you guys are right, no matter what, someone will feel slighted.
Lamar,

Not to be difficult here, but I have to disagree about the amount of games you get before district. I think the starters need all the reps they can get because you never know what might happen. For instance, we lost one of our tournaments due to weather, if we would have been playing everyone our starters might have only had five or six games before district. We only got 9 games in before we played our first district game. I think a good coach has probably had one on ones with all his players and let them know what to expect. I know in McKinney we don't ever cut a player, that is, once you make the team as a freshman you never lose a spot on the team. Thus, we always have some seniors that don't get much if any playing time. Kids are usually far more aware and acceptable to their situation than the parents. JMO.
I do know when my kid was playing HS ball there were twenty guys on the Varsity and only eleven had playing time. Two of the eleven logged very few innings compared to the other nine. My question is, If there is that much talent in the Metroplex, Why don't these parents look to other communities for opportunity for there sons? I understand the UIL rules governing moves, but if you are a frosh and you look at the players ahead of you why not make a move to let say, , Wylie, Frisco, Lovejoy, Richardson, Melissa, Princeton, Little Elm, etc, etc...
quote:
Originally posted by Robert S.:
Coach puts his best team on the field, end of story. The only people who think the coach is trying to please people are those who's kids don't play. Big Grin

Sorry but this is not always true. I have examples but will not express them here. Coach's have reasons they play players that only the coach knows why they are out there but the player on the field does not have the stats to explain why they are out there. Not all HS play their top nine. Just a fact. Its just something that the player on the bench must learn to live with.
quote:
Originally posted by threeboysdad:
quote:
Originally posted by Robert S.:
Coach puts his best team on the field, end of story. The only people who think the coach is trying to please people are those who's kids don't play. Big Grin

Sorry but this is not always true. I have examples but will not express them here. Coach's have reasons they play players that only the coach knows why they are out there but the player on the field does not have the stats to explain why they are out there. Not all HS play their top nine. Just a fact. Its just something that the player on the bench must learn to live with.

You are correct, we don't need to go here: I will just say the number of good, hardworking, better players on the bench in high school are few and far between.
quote:
Originally posted by fungoz:
Why don't these parents look to other communities for opportunity for there sons? I understand the UIL rules governing moves, but if you are a frosh and you look at the players ahead of you why not make a move to let say, , Wylie, Frisco, Lovejoy, Richardson, Melissa, Princeton, Little Elm, etc, etc...

Everyone is trying to do what is best for their kid......With that said...Personally, I can not immagine moving schools so my kid gets more playing time in hs. Moving so that he can get a few gametime balls hit to him would not be wise for my family. It may for others. There are enough other venues for him to play the rest of the year, and find a team where he can play. If he is to play in college, there will be a place for him to fit. Right now he needs to 1:Get an education, 2:Work hard to earn a spot where he is.
why are they on the team if you aren't going to play them?

.... some poor kid sits for 2 months, gets thrown into a district at bat due to injury, grades, whatever and it's luck if successful not coaching.. if a kid is prepared, that's coaching/teaching

. the No. 5s to No. 15s on rosters are pretty interchangeable if they get the same playing/practice time.. no matter level
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar Fan 08:
Bring It...

At Lamar, 5's to 15's are interchangeable...Lamar has good players but no superstars, making most of the roster interchangeable. Now I don't think this fits every school but I think it fits more schools than you think.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So you are telling me at Lamar, your 5 hole hitter is the same as the 6th player off the bench? Hmmmmm.
All these kids play 70 to 90 games in the summer. They take lessons, they practice together. The 15 game difference you are talking about in the high school season isn't going to make any difference in their ability to play the game. Lets use Plano East or Plano West as an example, so I don't get myself in trouble. Are you going to tell me that The 15th kid at West, if he played more on the high school team, would be as good as Tyler Bruce? Come on guys. PD, who is the 5 hole for Plano East? Because if the 15th kid on your team got some more playing time, he would be that good. Big Grin
I don't know how to put this delicately. At East this year, the best players are playing. I think there are talented kids on the bench and a few would be able to make contributions with more playing time. One had an unfortunate injury that will limit his role. Another has a bright future but is young. We have a few seniors that will have trouble breaking into the lineup. But even those that don't play have an opportunity to make positive contributions to the team -- at practice, in the dugout and locker room, remaining positive, etc. It's that way every year.

Often times, statistics fail to reveal a true picture.

You say I'm chicken -- I prefer "diplomatic". Cool
Last edited by Panther Dad
Most of the time there are 9 or 10 parents and players happy and the other 9 or 10 are not happy.

This is a reality that coaches better come to grips with very early in their coaching career or they probably wont be doing it very long.

Dont try to please anyone but your self, which means do what is best for your team and dont worry about the naysayers.

Most of the time winning keeps everyone happy, I said most of the time not all of the time...

Here is a good example:
Our team won a regional quartefinal game against a team that had beaten us 3 times that same year. We opted for a one game playoff and 10 run ruled them. After the game one of the players quit because he didnt start. How selfish is that?????

So dont worry about pleasing anyone because it will be impossible to please them all
I only saw one or two kids sitting the bench that could have been playing on a regular basis in my son's time at Keller.

Those kids didn't start for other reasons than ability....not being able to rely on their grades/attitudes had a lot to do with it.

The one thing I thought Keller should have done during my son's time there, is schedule some non district play during district so those #3-5 pitchers could get some work in during district. I think relying on 2 or 3 pitchers as Keller has done for years has really hurt them when the playoffs start.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.