Skip to main content

Thought I would post and interesting story about a pitcher who played in my son’s HS program a few years ago. He was one of the better kids on the team but certainly not a blue chip standout. He is a R/R was throwing 85ish as a Sr. He went to a local D3 (that is highly regarded) and kept working hard. He wanted to play two sports so he played football and baseball his first year, dropped football to focus on baseball after his freshmen year. Don’t think he got much playing time as a freshman, and saw limited action as a Soph.

He is now in his Jr. year and is the teams closer. He more or less blossomed over the summer. He has always had a “projectable” body but it has taken several years to fill out develop. They are just getting started but heard that he is now working at 92-93 topping at 95 and the scouts are just now starting to show up at his games. I will get out to see him later in the month, but suspect he will be at least a mid-rounder maybe higher.

So for all those 85ers in HS wondering what to do, keep working hard you never know.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I play at a DIII school in New York. We had a kid that came in as a freshman at 6'3", 170 lbs. He was a doofy, unathletic catcher who couldn't hit a lick but had a pretty live arm. Coach figured maybe he could blossom into something on the mound, and decided to convert him to a full time pitcher in the fall of his freshman year.

Last June he was the first DIII player drafted in the nation, in the 4th round to the Atlanta Braves. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play....857&topic_id=8080130
Nice post BOF and yours too JH.

I believe in all that hard work stuff and having a long term view on things. Lots of kids out there are ending their baseball careers prematurely imho because they sometimes get dejected when the big time D1's are not ringing their phone off the hook. Although the experience may be a little different at the D3 level, it is still college baseball. At the top levels of D3, it is as good as it gets in college baseball - ask JH who competed for a national championship last year and Smokey's son who won one.

BTW, throwing 85 in high school is still an impressive achievement imho. Not many high school players out there who can hit that velocity.
Although the topic of this thread is obviously not geared towards what CD has said or what I will say echoing his statement, but nonetheless I feel that it is necessary for those that are reading this thread now and in the future.

First off, playing college baseball at any level is not a right, it is a priveledge. No matter where you play, the sport requires an unbelievable amount of hard work, dedication and preparation. Just because you are the best player on your high school team, or on your travel team, or in your area, or in your region, doesn't mean that you will be able to excel at the next level. There is nothing guaranteed for anyone anywhere.

The large majority of college baseball players around the country will never have the opportunity to be paid to play the game. There was recently a HSBBWeb thread that outlined a link saying that DI baseball players estimated that being a full time student-athlete is a 75 hour/week job. I think that it is way more than that. Playing a sport in college, especially baseball, goes far beyond the hours you spend on the field at practice, or the hours you spend in the weight room. Don't forget about the time you spend watching video, scouting, analyzing mechanical work, mental preparation for competition, eating nutritiously so that your body is ready for the grueling task of the season. The sport is often literally all consuming, 24/7.

The vast majority of college baseball players are playing the game simply because they absolutely love to play the game. I have been playing organized baseball since I was 5 years old. I have dreamed about playing under the bright lights on the big stage more times than I can remember. So has every other boy that has ever played baseball. I also realize that the actual chances of this happening are not in my favor. Have I thought about hanging up my cleats? Yes I have, many many times. I really believe everyone has. I see other aspects of life that are appealing to me and often times, the thought crosses my mind that maybe baseball is a barrier that is holding me back from those things. But then I think about it...what if I actually did quit? What if I stopped playing the game that I've loved my whole life to pursue other things? Would it be beneficial to my future? Yeah, it might be. Would I be able to do other things and accomplish other aspects of a well-rounded, fulfilling life? Yeah, probably. Would I be truly happy? No.

The true realization of what baseball has done for me came last spring, when my college team was eliminated in the playoffs. We were literally a game away from the College World Series, and lost on a walk-off hit in the 11th inning. I had just thrown 7 1/3 innings in the game and was physically and mentally exhausted. I just wanted to go home, go to sleep, and see my family and friends that I had been detached from for the months of the season. In our post-game team meeting I eyeballed my way through the faces of my teammates. Most looked drained after playing 6 games in 4 days. Most were staring at the ground, with obvious disappointment in the loss. In the back corner of the huddle was the collection of seniors. We only lost 5 guys to graduation last year, but all of them were important to the team and very much were the quintessential leaders that a coach would look for. One by one, I looked at their physical appearance and their facial expressions. And I broke down crying. It hit me then that they came to acknowledge that this was probably the last time they'd be participating in a competitive baseball game of this magnitude for the rest of their lives. Everything they had pushed for and worked hard for throughout their lives had suddenly ended. They lost something they love.

I realized then that I wouldn't be able to cope with that feeling, at least not now. Did those guys come out alright? Absolutely. One moved back home and is working at the bar/restaurant that his father owns (I assume he will take over). One moved to Long Island and is working in the finance department for a bank. One is taking graduate classes in hopes of getting a Master's degree in education. One is still here at school, and is a few months away from graduating with a double major in biology and chemistry. One is now an assistant coach for us, in charge of infielders and strength & conditioning. They have all moved on to other facets of their lives, and are completely happy with what they are doing. But they'll never forget the experience of playing college baseball.

My point, I believe, is a fairly simple one...no matter what level you are playing at, you have to love the game. If you love the game, never take anything for granted. If you never take anything for granted, you will enjoy every moment of your experiences. If you enjoy every moment of your experiences, they'll last a lifetime. I'll never forget the morning conditioning practices, or the bullpens I've thrown, or the sprints I've run, or the weights I've lifted. I'll never forget the bus rides, or the plane rides, or the nights in the hotels, or the locker rooms, or the dugouts. I'll never forget my first college outing, my first strikeout, my first win. I'll never forget my first walk, my first wild pitch, my first loss. I'll never forget my coaches, my opponents, my playing fields. I'll never, ever, forget my teammates brothers.

That is the reason you play college baseball. And, as BOF said, if you put in the time and the amazing opportunity to continue playing the game arises, then use it to your advantage. Do what you love, and don't regret it.
Last edited by J H
I can echo the sentiments of JH, I'm just getting started with college ball and the idea of being done, forever, is unthinkable right now. I worry about it every time my arm doesn't feel right, or a comebacker gets too close, what if I'm cut short?

I know I'm more or less restricted to the remaining four years for my baseball career. Something in my body would have to drastically change in order for me to continue my career beyond my college days.

I can't imagine the sense of urgency felt by the seniors, much like JH described. My program, too, has a shot at a CWS berth (perhaps not the CWS as JH) and while it is my most immediate dream to get there, the seniors on the squad only have this last shot. Don't get me wrong, I want to win four times while I'm here, but I won't pretend that I can match that feeling they must have as their time slips.

I try to keep a few things in mind as I work each day. There are seniors whose time is short, and we all owe it to them to give them the season they deserve. Also, any of us can have our careers cut short at any time. My dad and older brother's labrum surgeries, ending their respective careers, loom large on my mind. Finally, when that time comes where I get to move on to a world where I'm only as good as my work for my other passion, my studies, I need to know that I did everything I could while I was here to reach for that dream of playing with my childhood heroes in the MLB.

I think almost all of us college guys have these things running through our minds. The lucky few who are merely biding their time before a pro career might even be missing out on the things that us "mortals" have to learn the hard way.
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
So for all those 85ers in HS wondering what to do, keep working hard you never know.

It is always good to hear stories like this, especially for those of us in that type of a situation.
Everyone who has seen my son says he will throw somewhere in the 90's, but is not physically developed enough yet. Needless to say the interest level in him from top D1's has been slim since he cruises in the mid 80's and has only hit 88 on the top.
As his parents we worry about him not getting into the right college where he can develop both academically and in baseball. Some people are of the thought that D3 is not good for baseball development because of the perceived lack of competition.
However as this story points out, if the kid reaches his potential velo wise, he will get interest, regardless of the level they are playing at.
BOF,

I too love these kind of success stories and suspect there are many more of these than people realize. As there a ton of instances of "can't miss" prospects that do miss never reaching their potential.

If I were a Scout, these are the kids I'm looking for; players with skills that I believe haven't peaked but will continue to have an upside. These players have had to continue to work hard to get noticed and will continue to do so if they get an opportunity..
Last edited by Prime9
JH and JPontiac,
Folks can post and say what they want about the level of baseball and the passion and skill at which it is played at the DIII level.
One thing that is clear, to me, from reading each of your posts: feeling the passion and being able to articulate those feelings isn't dependent on a baseball scholarship.
Last Summer, our son's 8th grade English teacher shared with us an essay our son had written about his future.
His feelings were completely private and only shared in that paper with that teacher.
DIII baseball provided the coaching, the drive and the atmosphere, and the opportunity for him to realize what he put on paper in 8th grade.
In addition to achieving his life long, privately held singular goal of being drafted and playing professional baseball, he experienced and cherished very similar experiences and feelings which each of you have expressed, including the high and low of being one game from Appleton, in two different years.
Thanks to each of you for putting what it means to play and compete in d3 baseball into words that are, truly, much more than words.
JH and JPontiac - I don't even know what to say other than you both have figured it out. The idea isn't so much what the game can do for you but what you can do for the game. Wanting to win for those seniors as badly as you did for yourselves shows leadership - the ability to place the welfare of the team above your own needs.

There is a reason there are tears in the locker room after a senior's last game. I don't believe my son has ever ended a season in high school or in college that did not end in tears - either when his time was up or when his teamates' time was up. I know how much it meant to him and fully realize how much it means to each of you.

I hope every member of ours can read both of your outstanding posts. Highly emotional stuff.
CD,
I love your picking out "leadership" from those 2 posts and emphasizing its importance.
In 2008, while watching Trinity and Notre Dame, I spent about 45 minutes watching the game and talking with another SCAC coach who I view as one of the best college baseball coaches anywhere.
He is a DIII coach who, contrary to not being good for player development, actually gets asked by the ABCA to do presentations to the very best coaches.
We got around to talking about team chemistry, leadership and winning.
His view is every season is a different team.
If there are 30 on a roster, 20 players, usually the underclassmen, are in the center. 4-5 are on the focus and leadership side.
4-5 are on the opposite end. Not necessarily destructive, but rather not fully committed and placing social/party/distractions above baseball..
Each season is a struggle for those in the middle and a battle between those on each end.
That coach wants the team to resolve those struggles internally and obviously with those on the focused side.
Doesn't always happen. It was not happening for his team in 2008. He told me their Spring practices leading to the first game were among the worst he had ever experienced in nearly 20 years as a heach coach.
What did he do? He brought back a recent alum and had him talk with the team just before the season started.
The alum sent a charge through the team with his words.
When the alum made the point about every player on this team wearing a jersey that contained the sacrifice, sweat, desire, pride, expectations and effort of every player who wore that jersey before him, the dugout was silent, except for the sniffles from Head Coach, who was fighting back his tears.
The entire season turned around that day.
Great college coaches recognize the value and importance of leadership.
Last edited by infielddad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.