Skip to main content

I am 16 years old and have never been able to throw a curve, it always hanged and hurt my arm, so my pitching coach suggested I throw a knuckle curve because you don't have to throw it differently then a fast ball. My question is how do you grip and throw it, is it safe, and how should it break ( 12-6, or slider like.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great Link RJM. You can also go to www.webball.com for other stuff.

There are several ways to throw a Knuckle Curve. Most MLB pitchers throw this pitch with the knuckle curve grip as shown by RJM, with the same mechanics as the curve, so this may not help you much.

You can also throw them with this grip with your palm facing forward like a FB or KB and flick it like a KB at release. This will give the ball a tumbling effect and get it to break down. The problem with this pitch is that it is difficult to control. This is a great pitch for young players but usually it is given up when they start throwing a traditional curve because it is difficult to control.

Just remember if you can not throw a pitch for a strike in any count it is not a pitch. Good Luck!
My son throws a knuckle curve with fastball arm action, read that same slot and no twisting to impart spin.

He grips it with both the index AND middle finger bent with the flat part (not tip) of the finger nails press flat against the ball into the top of the C.

He learned it at 13 and is still throwing in in 5A at 17.

It isn't a big breaker but he gets by with it because he throws it with the exact same mechanics as his fastball there isn't a dot from the spin of a traditional curveball for the hitter to pick up.

Always wondered if he would need to get a "real" curveball, but he's managed to make it this far without one.

He's primarily a sinker pitcher anyhow so he's not throwing the knuckle curve a lot. But it gives him something off speed that moves away from righties to go with his change up that moves in a bit.

This is NOT what most folks normally think of as a knuckle curve and you need decent sized hands to throw it.

The important thing is being able to change speeds and hit the mitt where it is placed. You can get by without a wicked curveball if you have good command and can change speeds.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.