Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Found some info on LATimes.

The two players the Angels failed to come to an agreement with were right-hander Jesus Valdez of Hueneme High, the team's fifth-round selection, and left-hander Josh Osich of Oregon State, a seventh-round pick. Last year, the Angels signed 16 of their top 17 picks despite having five selections before the second round.

Other first-round picks who signed Monday included Westlake High outfielder Christian Yelich, the No. 23 pick who signed with the Florida Marlins for $1.7 million, and speedy Cal State Fullerton outfielder Gary Brown, who went to the San Francisco Giants with the 24th selection and signed for $1.45 million.

Right-hander Dylan Covey from Pasadena Maranatha High, who was taken with the 14th selection by Milwaukee, was reportedly on the verge of a deal with the Brewers before a blood test determined he has diabetes. He said he will play the University of San Diego.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/...0817,0,3144497.story
and...looks like UCLA will be a team to deal with again this year.

Pitchers Adam Plutko from Glendora and Zach Weiss from Irvine Northwood have rejected professional baseball offers and will enroll as scheduled at UCLA this fall.

Plutko, a sixth-round draft choice of the Astros, was offered a signing bonus of more than $1 million. Weiss was taken in the 10th round by the Pirates.

USC lost Palo Alto High outfielder Joc Pederson, an 11th-round pick of the Dodgers who received a $600,000 bonus.

Cal State Fullerton lost Dana Hills pitcher Peter Tago, taken No. 47 overall by the Rockies. Titans outfielder Gary Brown, a first-round pick of the Giants, signed for $1.45 million.

It's great news for UCLA Coach John Savage, who returns his two top pitchers in Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer but needs to find a No. 3 and No. 4 starter. Plutko and Weiss will be contenders for both spots. Also turning down a pro contract to join the Bruins was Cerritos Gahr outfielder Brenton Allen, a ninth-round pick of the Phillies.
Last edited by BOF
It is my impression that Oregon had a lot of players drafted although I don't think there were a lot of surprises. I haven't checked but I assume Tessar didn't sign and will be playing there and so will Sherfy but they did seem to lose a lot of players from their signing class and from their team.

I think the teams expect to lose the early round guys so keeping one of them is a big bonus but teams get hurt more by the mid to later round guys who sign instead of sticking with their NLIs because those were the ones the schools really expected to be able to keep.

Unless he was offered well over slot I think Jesus Valdez made a good choice in taking his scholarship. His value could go up or down, but in the meantime he'll be getting a good education and playing against top collegiate competition and $150K or so isn't life changing money these days. I only met him once, but my impression of Valdez's dad was that he'd be someone who would put a high value on education.
Last edited by CADad
LSU football and baseball lost Zach Lee to the Dodgers...$5.25 million

---------------------------------

McKinney's Zach Lee signs last-minute deal with Los Angeles Dodgers, foregoes college career at LSU

Posted at 10:56 PM on Mon., Aug. 16, 2010
Kyle Whitfield / HS GameTime Editor

Former McKinney pitcher and LSU signee Zach Lee, the No. 28 overall pick in this year's MLB First-Year Player Draft, has inked a contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, LSU's athletic department announced Monday night.

"This was a very personal decision for Zach and his family," LSU coach Les Miles said in a news release. "This opportunity was just too difficult to pass up. We wish Zach and his family the very best. He's an outstanding young man and we hope he develops into a great Major League pitcher."

LSU announced Lee's decision about five minutes before the 11 p.m. CT MLB deadline for draft picks to sign contracts with their respective teams. The Los Angeles Times reports Lee will receive a $5.25-million signing bonus spread over five years. That amount is more than double the largest bonus the Dodgers gave Highland Park's Clayton Kershaw in 2006.

The late announcement that Lee signed with the Dodgers is a bit of a surprise. Lee enrolled in summer school at LSU one day after the draft. Lee attended summer classes in Baton Rouge, La., and participated in the football team's summer conditioning.

"[Lee] wants to come to LSU, get a degree and play football and baseball for the Tigers," Miles said June 8. "I met with Zach and his parents today and I think that they are looking at LSU as a great opportunity both academically and athletically. Zach is an outstanding student and he's excited about the college experience."

A dual athlete at McKinney, Lee had 11 victories, a 2.15 ERA and 90 strikeouts this baseball season. As a senior on the football field, Lee passed for 2,565 yards and 31 touchdowns. He also added nine rushing touchdowns in 2009.
Last edited by cheapseats
That's a bit of shocker. A Moorpark kid who had committed to CSUN and a CSUN pitcher who is rehabbing from TJ surgery and could be ready by the start of the season are also transferring to Oxnard. I think they are returning a good pitcher also. They should be pretty tough again. I think it has a bit to do with the Cardinals connection.
Last edited by CADad
I think fog it had to do with him dropping down farther in the draft vs where he was projected to go and he was also dealing with the Angels who are pretty conservative. He was injured at the end of HS season so this might have had something to do with it. He will do JC for two years and should come out a pretty high pick if he stays healthy.
CADad: You are correct with Arizona. He had some minor arm issue toward the end of the season, nothing serious but the word is that this dropped him down...who knows really though.

The feeling around here was that he was as good as or maybe better than Cody Buckel, who went early in the 2nd round. He certainly appears more projectable. Anyway he will pitch for a very good team in Oxnard that should do well in the JC tournament and he should only get better as long as he stays healthy.
I think he has better stuff than Buckel. Valdez was good at missing bats when I saw him. Buckel seems to be more of a pitcher. I don't know how that will play out in the long run. JMO.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Oxnard should do well in the JC tournament. First they have to make the tournament and then a lot depends on seeding and matchups and who managed to stay healthy. Cuesta should be strong this coming season and Hancock seems to be on the rise. You never really know what the teams are going to have until you see who gets the better D1 dropdowns and despite what looks to be a good recruiting class Oxnard lost their entire starting staff. Those 3 pitchers threw 70% of the team's total innings with only two other pitchers getting into double figures.
Last edited by CADad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.