Skip to main content

Thought I would get a thread going for some of the interesting things that happen to our boys (and their friends) as they play through another pro season. I loved the ST thread so hopefully now we can follow interesting stories as the season progresses.
Mary Ann * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [i]"The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8 [8/21/08][/i]
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

FO ...

Way cool pictures. It only took me 20 shots to realize that when they put a number in parenthesies next to the player's name that it was their jersey number and not their age. Man oh man ... been away from the fields too long.

Ours threw relief in his first outing last night. BAses loaded, 2 outs, and the first batter he faced ... an 0-2 count, guy hits a chopper up the middle, over son's shoulder and son somehow manages to field it and throw the guy out at first. Whew !!!

I think he was inspired by the special guest in the house ... OZZIE SMITH ... who was there last night and threw out the first pitch.
quote:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
Not much to tell other than last night - he played in 38 degree temperature in Fort Wayne Indiana.

Ouch!

Ouch is right, here it's balmy high 80's. Smile Mine has really lucked out with the weather, but soon it will be a stiffling close to 100 and 500% degree humidity. Good ting that most games are in the evening.

Next saturday is dog day afternoon at the field, if not too warm we will bring our granddog. This is way too funny.

Jeff Alison was the opposing pitcher last night. Even though son has seen him pitch, it's interesting to see a player that has had so many issues. I heard up at the field the other night he really has to do well this year.
Barrett came up with a gimpy elbow catching Maddux last night and went on the DL (no idea yet how long). So Morton got called up from AA. So Aeden is on his way to Lake Elsinore (I expect Canham went to SAT). So it goes.... Cool

And IF they're both playing, he'll be making those throws down to second to a former teammate MIF. Way former. 12 years ago, on Chet Lemon's 12u Juice. Yes, it is a small baseball world.

And aren't we all thankful we're part of it!

(Why is my son always a week behind everybody else Wink)
Last edited by Orlando
quote:
Originally posted by Orlando:
Barrett came up with a gimpy elbow catching Maddux last night and went on the DL (no idea yet how long). So Morton got called up from AA. So Aeden is on his way to Lake Elsinore (I expect Canham went to SAT). So it goes.... Cool

And IF they're both playing, he'll be making those throws down to second to a former teammate MIF. Way former. 12 years ago, on Chet Lemon's 12u Juice. Yes, it is a small baseball world.

And aren't we all thankful we're part of it!

(Why is my son always a week behind everybody else Wink)

Wow..Tommy King?....it's getting smaller by the day. The Lake Elsenore 1B is another Renegade teammate Jeremy Hunt. You have a PM on the way. Smile

I saw Lake Elsenore P Corey Luebke pitch for Ohio State last June at the Regional in College Station.
Last edited by Dad04
O ...

The Southern League is strange ... don't know if the other AA and AAA leagues are the same ... but if a National league team is playing against an American league team ... whether home or away they use the DH. I personally think they should have to play according to the rules of the 'home field' MLB league affiliation, just as they do in the Bigs.

I am not a fan of the DH because I think it is more challenging to manage a team with the pitcher having to hit. That being said ... we were all surprised AJ hit for himself last night because we knew he was not coming back into the game. But if they had replaced his spot in the line-up before his at-bat, they would have had to do a double switch. Besides, it was fun to know that he kept the game going ... as I understand it, he 'went the other way' and poked the ball into right field. Even the radio announcer sounded excited ... and a bit surprised. Too bad AJ doesn't like to bat (does not like the idea of a 95 mph ball coming at him) because hew as always a good hitter ... oh well. He pitches better when he doesn't have to worry about hitting or being hit LOL.
I thought this was pretty cool......

quote:
When you get up and do it, it's like 'Wow, I can't believe I did that,' " Simmons said. "I thought you had to be really, really famous to be on the radio.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200...100336/-1/A_SPORTS06

When I first saw this, I just thought about a day off from school at the ballpark.

Read the article, then see pictures 35 and 37 to 42 in this link to a photo gallery in the same newspaper.

Photo Gallery
Last edited by FormerObserver
quote:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
Last 2 games.

Yesterday - 41 degrees and a 15 MPH wind with a light steady rain.

Today - 37 degrees and a 20 MPH wind - with snow flurries.

Welcome to Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Its really gotta suck playing in that type of weather.

Ouch on the weather. Tell him to work his butt off to get to Dunedin!

We got a chance to see son for the first time on the mound as a pro, it was awesome. He had on his "cardinal sunday blues".

Brewers Casey Baron (belonging to Bear) was in relief today, it's awesome to put faces to names.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Yesterday - 41 degrees and a 15 MPH wind with a light steady rain.

Today - 37 degrees and a 20 MPH wind - with snow flurries.

Welcome to Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Its really gotta suck playing in that type of weather.

YES it does! but it's even harder to be a spectator! BTW, its, I couldn't attend any of the games this series, but I see there are a lot of former PG guys on that LugNut roster along with Darin.

Always have to chuckle when the southern boys and Dominicans show up for the very first time. What a shock! They are easy to spot because they have 7 layers of clothes on. Smile

It's all good experience because there are a lot of cold weather teams in the Major Leagues.
There are a very interesting group of minor league promotions this month led by:

Augusta GreenJackets (South Atlantic League)
Mad Chad Performance, April 18
Here's another Minor League performer worth mentioning: Mad Chad the Chainsaw Juggler. Chad's act entails (wait for it) chainsaw juggling, which is one of the most compulsively entertaining art forms known to man. On Friday, Chad will visit Augusta to bring his act to the Minor League masses. Expect a death- (or at least limb-) defying performance from a man who knows how to bring the drama. As it says on Chad's web site: "If you really want people to put two hands together, you've got to risk one of your own!"

MiBL Promo Nights
Those promos sound great.

Tuesday morning was school day at the park, it was packed, all school kids. Dave said he didn't think many were paying attention, just glad to be at teh park instead of school for the day.

Dog day at the park, about 100 dogs, it was very quiet. I am not sure they really enjoyed the game. Roll Eyes
02^04, my son is also playing in SAL. He plays OF for the Greenville Drive. His name is David Marks. They are off to Augusta this AM to play the Greenjackets. We are going to the game this evening and hope the weather gets better. Yesterday the weather couldn't have been better in Greenville. Kid didn't play last night after taking a foul ball off the ankle on Thursday nights game. Our first trip to see the Drive and just can't believe the stadium!!!
Outlaw,
I see they play the Tourists in June, I will probably get to at least 1 of the games in the series and say hello to David if given the chance, but for sure will be cheering him on!!

Its, of course it is Justin. He is such a nice young man. Well grounded, he deserves everything he gets as he had worked very hard for all he has gotten.
Haven't posted too much here, I guess due to uncertainty.............

But, it's all uncertain, ain't it?

An assignment to High A in Stockton for a player with 38 minor league games under his belt when many of the players are there with 200+ games.

"We don't normally do that Smitty"

So, there was an expected return to Kane County.

"Not a demotion, Smitty."

So, for some of you that check on him in in the Stockton area, he's been tranferred to Kane County.

And, for those of you interested in the Midwest League area, he's back.

A limo ride at 3:00AM to the airport for a 6:00AM flight to Chicago and another flight into Lansing to catch up with the Cougars on the road yesterday.

Wasn't in the lineup last night, it's or I would have said something last night.

On to Great Lakes this evening after a 1/3 day with a double off the wall.

Just about ready to get an extra car out of the shop for shipment to CA next Monday or Tuesday, then decided to drive it to Chicago for a three game series in the next weekend or so and fly home.

With the music playing and not many chairs, it's pretty easy to look around and see who is gonna get the empty seats.

But, no movements noted, yet, and then this, which I think some of you will find interesting.

"Dad, the other catcher is a Naval Academy graduate, and has to leave for two weeks to serve his country recruiting."
FO,

I had no idea that Matt would be there last night. We could have had some fun - at my expense given D's 0-fer yesterday LOL

Matt roped his double to CF today though - and as luck would have it - today D had his first day off this season.

That would have been cool - another HSBBweb link - Matt doubles to CF and D has to go and chase it.

My best to you and Matt!

Big Grin
FO,
I met Brad Furnish tonight, guess he and Matt played against each other.
One thing they say is true, you never fully unpack your bags in pro ball. Dave's friend just got called up to AA to help the struggling Springfield as a closer. He was called at night and told to pack up he was on a plane asap. Stranegly enough that opened a place for Dave to stay without 4 others in an apartment.

Good luck to Matt, looking forward to a KC vs. LL match up between him and D.
quote:
I met Brad Furnish tonight, guess he and Matt played against each other.

Yep, in summer leagues, and they played on the same team at the PG event close to you, in high school, and, again in college.

Brad's high school team in his senior year lost 2-0 on a one hitter by him to my son's high school on a two run dinger by Matt.

He has always been an outstanding pitcher and competitor.

Hard to keep up with all of them now..........

Spring training has been an interesting process.

Didn't really get to know that many players after the draft last year and just playing for one team the rest of the summer.

Was talking to Matt today about the young man from the Naval Academy that I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Has he left yet? Did you meet him?

"Dad, I just spent a month with him in AZ"

Fascinating to watch these young men on their journey................
I really enjoy this topic. So many players we have seen as young kids now playing professional baseball, many talked about right here in this thread.

Having been a parent of baseball players I have an understanding of what might be going through other parents minds.

TPM, I just happened to see the Palm Beach roster this morning. It surprised me how many kids I know from old PG days. Don't know how, but somehow I just seem to remember nearly every one of those players.

Same thing for the Lugnuts and other teams. Liuzza, Mastroianni (Who's he?), Justin Jackson, Tollisano, Joel Collins, Aherns, Pettway, Crowell, and a few others I have had the pleasure of watching them while they were young.

I can't tell you how much fun it is to hear everyone talk about these kids.

So if anyone feels like hesitating because of wanting to be humble. Please don't, this is great stuff.
PG,
Lots of past PG players on the PB roster. Lots of players who played with and against each other for may years and met up years ago on the backfields of Jupiter. Smile Also lots of players I know on opposing teams, including some HSBB websters sons.

BTW, everytime we are there, I think of the history DK has with that complex. Fall ball, summer league, USA tryouts, PG woodbat tournies, and for me, meeting up with many websters including yourself.

DK was matched with Kazmir today (he's in rehab). Now that was very strange, after all these years of you mentioning him as one of your fav players. Smile

Latest update on the young Lt. Not playing as much as he would like (has played in 12 of 18 games) and without playing everyday, has "lost his edge" as he puts it. Problem is he is one of 3 1B's, and he is playing 4th out of 3 OF'ers. Today was hopefully a breakout day as he solo homered in the 2nd (his first of the season and according to the guy on the radio, he hit it to the 420 mark in LCF, over a 15'fence, over the scoreboard and out of the stadium on to the street... he said it was one of the biggest he had seen). Then in the 4th he came up with bases loaded and hit one to the warning track in LF for a SAC and an RBI. In the 7th he hit another monster shot, just a couple of feet foul and then fisted a broken bat single for another RBI. Lakewood won 4-1.

He's living in Lakewood, NJ, which is an enclave of Hassidic Jews (supposedly the largest concentration of Orthodox Jews in the world... think Fiddler on the Roof), but is also 15 minutes from the Jersey Shore which if they get any time off should prove for some 20-something fun this summer. He's living with a host family out in the country and complains that the rooster wakes them up every morning (something about a future WalMart purchase of a BB gun). But it's a great bunch of kids from Australia, Stanford, Clemson, UCLA, O*r*a*l* Roberts, and basically all over).

Just spoke with him a few minutes ago, 5 hours into an 8 hour bus ride from Hagerstown, MD to Lexington, KY. The glamorous part of it all he said.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080423/...80423107/1002/SPORTS

Go Air Force!
Go Navy!

cadDAD

Last edited by AcademyDad
I love this thread! Thank you to all who are letting us peek at the day-to-day life of a minor league player. Really interesting to read.

cadDad,

That sounds like a great day at the plate for cadKid #1, and hopefully just one of many to come. Very funny comments about the rooster and WalMart purchase.

An 8 hour bus ride...I know that is probably common in MiLB, but when you stop and think about how 8 hours in a bus feels, it makes you wonder how they can play their best when they get to their destination!

Best wishes to Karl,

Julie
regarding the bus trips, on the last day of the series remember they have to check out of motel rooms by 11,hang around until the go to the field... practice,play the game, get on the bus travel 8 hrs, go home,get up and report to the field for the next game.... I think this generation grew up spending so much time traveling in cars they don't seem to mind.
It's never easy but our son called and told us that his best friend on the team and in the organization was released today after their game. (He has another best friend who used to be with the Dbacks but was picked up by another team in a Rule 5 draft couple of years ago ... they stay in touch and have even 'vacationed' together with their wives.) Anyway, it was a bit of a surprise because even tho the player had been struggling at the start of the season, he seemed to be getting better with each appearance. So, altho they all work with that shadow of doubt over their heads everyday, it is never easy to see one of their friends get his pink slip.
Wow,
April 2008 gone for proball. It is actually mine's first season of proball. Son has had some teammates move up already, others let out of extended to cover positions needed. Injuries (already) create movement.

Everyday is the same, report certain time, either get there earlier for a bus ride out, or 4 hours before a home game. Dinner after the game, wind down, get to bed, get up to do it all over again. It's not glamourous, however, in South Florida some players find it to be. Cool The weather has been great, but I understand some already dreading the heat and humidity to follow, it's tough to play in, pitchers have to adjust due to humidity and team is already on those not used to it for drinking more water now.
There are some players older than son who have had injuries or not performed who were top prospects when drafted. They know their time is limited, if they don't move to AA by this summer, they could be gone next year. That creates a lot of pressure.

Every league is different, FL is a pitcher's league played in ML spring training facilities. Beautiful, but big. Those pitchers moved up stuggling a bit at the next level in a different type of league. Line up changes often, pitcher has to adjust each game on defense. You don't always have the same guys behind you, the same catcher. You have to throw what they want you to that day. If you are a FB pitcher, one day all of a sudden you have to work on the CB or slider. If you are told to gently plunk someone to move them back, you got to do it and be willing to do so without reprecussions (ER for the walk) If you are told to come inside and hit the batter at the hands, you got to move forward and shake it off. This is one thing you have to learn as you go, you have to be able to adjust or adapt or you can't move forward. It's not HS and not college ball.

For those of you hoping that someday your player may get the chance to play proball at the highest level, the possibilities are more against you than for you. My hats off to anyone who has reached that goal, those players are special and we all have no clue what it took them to get there.
Last edited by TPM
Some of the spice of playing in the minors this season ---

Catching Mark Pryor

Talking the '06 WS with Jim Edmonds

...and the most recent. Omar Vizquel is doing a rehab assignment with the Giants' affiliate. Aeden has been struggling at the plate. First AB, he scorches one to the left side, Vizquel makes one of his diving stops & throws him out. So Vizquel comes up to bat the next inning and Aeden says "Nine guys on the field and I have to hit it to the one with ten Gold Gloves" Sly smile from Omar, "Eleven."
quote:
Originally posted by Orlando:
So Vizquel comes up to bat the next inning and Aeden says "Nine guys on the field and I have to hit it to the one with ten Gold Gloves" Sly smile from Omar, "Eleven."

That is great !!! I just love the way so many of the big leaguers treat the minor leaguers as 'some of the guys'. I realize some can be jerks towards the younger players, but when a gold glove winner can banter with a 'young guy' like this, it makes so much of the drudge of it seem worth it.
I love the baseball on field etiquette.

Things you do and don't do.

And, the related penalty, etc.

I was proud of my son after he told me this story, I think.

He said a player "stroked a homer on 'em and kinda 'pimped' it outa the box pretty good."

So, on the next batter up, he put down "the middle finger", the batter was plunked, and the pitcher routinely ejected with the accompanying suspension and $150 fine.

He told me that since he had made the call himself, rather than the coach, he paid 1/2 of the $150 fine.

Thought it was the right thing to do.
FO,
"AIM HIGH" and hope you miss. Wink

Dog days of summer tonight, let's see how many "barks" the pitcher gets. Big Grin

A few weeks ago there was an act going on during warm ups, he had to wait about 5 minutes for it to end before first pitch, sometimes for pitchers the entertainmanet is distracting.

They usually enjoy it more on their "off" days.
Well 106 dogs in attendance and not a bark, just this very loud lady yelling all night Go Devil Rays.
It wasn't a great night for Palm Beach.

Before the game, a Memorial Day tribute to our veterans and those serving overseas. How very touched we were that those guys go defend our country while mine can play baseball.

Regardless of whether they belong there or not, never forget it's those men and women defend what we stand for. Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.