Skip to main content

My son is a LHP that did not pitch as a sr in hs due to a partial ucl tear. He had surgery last July, did a methodical rehab, changed arm slots, mechanics, etc, and has already gotten his velo back and more. He’s sitting 85-87 and has touched 89. He went to D1 jc this yr, but only went to school part time and didn’t accept a scholarship so he could preserve 5 yrs to play 4. Can you tell me where he needs to “sit” and “reach” for the different D1 levels after JC? He’s a near 4.0 student and throws a fb, curve and change. The new arm slot has been really effective as it helps hide the ball and rides in on righties. Thanks in advance!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That velo will play at some levels of D1 IF it is combined with good movement and secondary stuff, along with confident competitiveness.  The trick is going to be getting him in front of the right audience and convincing someone that the fact he hasn't pitched since junior in HS won't be a big deterrent in his ability to get outs regularly against D1 hitters.  Not fully sure I understand... did he play at the JC and/or will he do so this next season?  Is he going to play this summer somewhere?  I would guess he will have to prove himself against decent hitters before getting serious looks from a D1.

Also, you said his ball rides in on RH hitters?  Yes, that can be effective, but to be honest, that type of movement from a LHP FB (not a cutter) can be a sign of still-remaining structural damage.  Lefties typically have very good arm side run, particularly when they drop to 3/4 or more, not the opposite.  I am all too familiar as I had this same issue myself.   Arm/shoulder injury took away good natural tail and ever since, everything cuts slightly, no matter what I tried.  I did not have subsequent medical procedures done that, in hindsight, I should have.  Just something to keep an eye on.  Everyone is different.

Last edited by cabbagedad

He is in his first yr of jc, but sat out while recovering so has 1-2 yrs of jc baseball to play. Will bullpen this summer with some controlled summer competition heading into fall ball looking to compete for a spot. His jc is very good so he’ll get seen. He’s a fierce competitor. Was all state 3 yrs and is throwing with no pain and feels very good after throwing with the new slot and mechanics. I heard the run comment some time ago from my wife so don’t put a lot of stock into that as I haven’t heard my son say that. I’m confident he’s healthy based on his rehab and how methodical he’s been as well as the adjustments and rigorous strength training and weight. His velo has come naturally. I’m just curious what sitting velocity is needed for a lefty coming in from jc into the big 10, pac 12, b12, mo valley, sec, etc

Great, sounds like he is in a good place!  So, back to your original question...  I think for a lefty, 90 is still a magic # for getting active attention but the scale still slides a bit depending on the other factors discussed.  An 87-88 guy will get attention if great movement, secondary stuff, location, etc.  You will hear others here say how many they see at D1's that are lower-mid 80's, which is true, but that is not what gets serious attention.

His size and projected size are factors as well.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Thanks for the info! That’s the frustrating part up here in the Midwest. Lack of D1 colleges in many of our states, lack of recruiting budgets of college baseball in general. Kids aren’t getting found up here. He threw in the 80s all through hs and piled up all kinds of k’s and honors. 1st team all state three yrs. Even sprung for NCSA and did PG events. I’ve seen many others (although righties) go unnoticed in the same fashion that mid to upper by the end of hs only to find jc the only route. Here’s hoping jc ball turns out to be the answer. Thanks again!

If you are at a competitive JC D1 and do well you will be seen. Iowa has some good JC's that are very much on the radars of D1 schools. 

I'm in the upper midwest, and have found that if you've got the arm, you will be found, for the most part. D1's are always looking for Pitching. What I have seen with my 2018's  compatriots is that it's just as hard or harder to stick/contribute in D1 baseball straight out of HS than it is to be recruited. Some seasoning at a JC isn't the worst thing that can happen to an 18-19 yo.

He just had a partial or small tear in his ucl. I’m not sure what the official name for the surgery was but it was discovered just before his sr yr so he didn’t throw. He was a good enough hitter that he still had an all state season at the plate but his future and passion was on the hill. He had surgery right after the season and then just took part time class loads at jc while rehabbing this past yr so the eligibility clock didn’t start 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.