Skip to main content

Here's the Marmonte league as ranked by MaxPreps. They do something similar to RPI type rankings and as such these are way too early to have any real meaning. Let's see how these compare to reality as the season progresses.

Team........National Rank
Simi.............286, 1062, 1333
Newbury Park.....465, 664, 796
Calabasas........904, 1437, 2005
Royal............960, 230, 43
Moorpark.........981, 624, 146
Agoura..........2026, 641, 716
Thousand Oaks...2516, 5733, 4649
Westlake........2970, 1024, 811

I think these rankings will change pretty quickly as more games get into the database. I'd expect Simi and Calabasas to move down and Agoura and Westlake to move up a bit with time. It looks like there are 5 or 6 teams that could potentially win the league this season.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm guessing the initial rankings are based on last year to a degree. The first update should be interesting.

Most everybody in the league has a loss now who has played against decent competition. NP beat a strong team then lost to a weaker team. Royal and Moorpark haven't been tested against strong competition yet. Moorpark's next opponent should be decent. Agoura and Simi both lost but were competitive against decent teams. Calabasas lost to a strong team. Westlake came back from a loss to beat a strong team with Cuneo on the mound. Westlake's pitching depth may be questionable. TO looks rather weak.
Last edited by CADad
I have not seen some of the teams, but still think that Royal based on their depth and the number of returnees is the team to beat. Moorpark is a very sound team and can play with anyone. Agoura has been playing well also. Agree with you on TO and Westlake. NP got whacked yesterday but the conditions were so horrible anything could have happened. Maybe ProudSocaldad can provide some insight?
From LA Times today:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.co...ity+Times+Insider%29

BASEBALL

SOUTHERN SECTION

NONLEAGUE

Camarillo Cornerstone Christian 26, Granada Hillscrest Christian 3

Carpinteria 4, Villanova Prep 0

Crean Lutheran South 13, St. Michael's Prep 4

Firebaugh 38, Environmental Charter 0

Oak Hills 13, Rim of the World 9

Oxford Academy 3, Long Beach Cabrillo 2

Rio Hondo Prep 24, Hesperia Christian 13

Sierra Canyon 17, Newbury Park 1

St. Margaret's 9, Saddleback Valley Christian 3

Victor Valley 6, Apple Valley 5
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
NP got whacked yesterday but the conditions were so horrible anything could have happened. Maybe ProudSocaldad can provide some insight?

After the game, my son said he told the coach before the game that he had a "bad feeling" after the warmups. The team seemed flat, and I think a bit worn from the emotional game against Dylan Covey on Saturday.

Jordan Brower just got a tough break in pitching a three hitter that was matched on the other side more as a reflection of NP's effort than the San Fernando effort (absolutely no disrespect intended).

Overall the game was a poster for the importance of not just physical talent, but energy level, experience, and the ability to make adjustments as needed from one at-bat to the next. Hopefully something the team learns from....

Facing a tougher Saugus squad Wednesday, including Nick Lombardi who has 6 at bats so far this season with 5 hits including 2 home runs and a double Eek

Echoing CADad's sentiments, Marmonte is going to be a brawl this year....
Last edited by ProudSocalDad
NP beat Saugus on a nice pitching performance from a player who is not a primary pitcher but didn't show much hitting once again. Royal had an easy win. Now that pool play is over they may be tested in the tournament they host.

3/11 rankings posted above. They change a lot until the teams get quite a few games in.

NP won 3/12 but continues to struggle at the plate. Royal really hasn't been tested yet. Westlake v Chatsworth should be interesting today, 3/13.
Last edited by CADad
Royal continues to be very impressive, albeit v weak teams. NP's pitching continues to look good but where are the bats. Moorpark manages to schedule themselves against Hueneme when they don't have Valdez going. Simi is looking stronger than expected - good coaching can make a difference. We aren't going to have a good idea until they get a ways into the Marmonte schedule.
I'll settle for guessing how Wednesday's games will go, with an emphasis on guess:

Moorpark v Westlake - Swenson v Cuneo?, two crafty lefties, it should be low scoring but I'll go with Westlake @ Westlake even though Moorpark is the better team. If Cuneo doesn't start I'll go with Moorpark.

NP vs TO - Sherfy v Thomson, slight edge to NP but I'd expect Thomson to do well vs NP who hasn't been hitting.

Royal v Simi - Gotta go with Royal in the first rivalry game.

Agoura v Calabasas - Agoura has looked better than Calabasas so far.
Agree with your assesment except for TO is really not that good a team, they are a serious notch below the rest of the leage. Moorpark should handle Westlake quite nicely (providing the pitch around Yelich) it really should not be too close unless they get a standout pitching performance. Don't underestimate Simi.
BOF,
I agree with your assessment of the relative talent of TO vs the rest of the league, however Thomson is a solid if not spectacular pitcher and NP hasn't been hitting well. That could result in a close game.

The rankings will change a lot by the end of the season, but the relative order might not be too far off. You can never tell with the Marmonte league though.

The nice thing about trying to predict the Marmonte league is that you know there's no chance of getting it right so there's no pressure.
Last edited by CADad
OK....Mr "No prediction" is gonna chime in...

My picks for Wednesday:

• Agoura vs. Calabasas: Agoura . Have a hard time believing that Calabasas has faced Marmonte League "stuff" yet....
  • Newbury Park vs. Thousand Oaks: Newbury Park . Might be different if Bollar was eligible, but Sherfy should shut down already weakened TO offense. NP error-free defense a must.
  • Royal vs. Simi: Game of the day. Buckel eager to sink his All-American teeth into Marmonte and adrenaline carries the day. Royal
  • Westlake vs. Moorpark: Westlake en-route to a Yelich 1-1 HR day with four stolen bases.
Last edited by ProudSocalDad
Pretty much agree with you PSD, except Moorpark will pitch around Yellich and take care of business they are too deep for W/L. Like CADad said any pitcher can get hot and shut down a team, so no one is going to go undefeated in League.

How bout Chaminade defeating Crespi in the League opener last night…Healy had to leave and Chaminade took advantage of the opportunity. Camarillo crushed Rio Mesa.
NP downs TO 9-6. Strong pitching by Sherfy, with one mistake pitch with bases loaded. NP bats finally make their appearance as NP gets on the board early, goes down on a GS in the sixth, and takes back the win with four runs in the bottom of the fourth. TO has some nice bats in the lineup, but their pitching is gonna struggle mightily against most of Marmonte.

Time for me to give Calabasas it's due. Don't know much about the team, but they are obviously better than I thought. Gonna keep an eye on them. Wonder what Agoura's story is??

Tough luck for Moorpark, as it sounds like they had Westlake in check for most of the game. I still think Westlake's bats are their story, and you have to be cautious of late inning surges even if they are shut down early.

Royal got from Buckel what I expected - the top starter in the league. Combined with a solid lineup, they are probably the current top of the heap.
3/19 guesses:
Royal v NP
Royal-should be an interesting test of Royal w/o Buckel on mound vs Marmonte competition

Simi v Agoura
Agoura - Just a hunch.

WL vs Calabasas
WL - Pitching matchup seems to favor WL but hard to figure what their coach will do.

Moorpark v TO
Moorpark - Lack of pitching depth @ TO.
Last edited by CADad
My take:
NP vs. Royal: Newbury Park
NP Upset of Marmonte League leader Royal. Prediction based on NP bats showing life and lack of Buckel on the mound...not to mention personal hope on my part Smile

Simi vs. Agoura: Simi
Simi bounces back against a demoralized Agoura squad still suffering from Calabasas loss.

Westlake vs. Calabasas: Westlake
Westlake bats prove too much for Calabasas. Westlake pitching shows balance against upstart Calabasas.

Moorpark vs. TO: Moorpark
Moorpark hitting too much for TO to overcome, as TO pitching shortage continues to haunt them against Marmonte bats.

Prediction Record to date: 3-1. This number is only meaningful for week one, as the rest of the season it will show the clueless nature of my predictions Confused
Agree with PSD...except the NP result. Eek

Pacific View will not be clear until next week. This week Ox v Pacifica, Hueneme v CI are such missmatches there is little value in forecasting.....both could be ugly. I doubt Beltran of Valdez will be on the hill for either team.
Ox v Cam and Rio v Hueneme are up for next week.

Farther up north Channel League gets started tonight.
Vent v DP : Vent. DP lost a lot of Sr's last year and should be weaker this year.
SB - San Marcos:

This one could be interesting in that San Marcos appears to be playing well against some good competition. SB has not been tested and played in a weak Central Coast tournament. They are not hitting very well, but they have good coaching, and a mix of Jr's and Sr's. I think this is the game to watch this week for the Channel League.

Buena gets a bye which is a good thing because I have been told they look horrible for the talent they have.
Last edited by BOF
Both Hueneme and Oxnard crushed CI and Pacifica as expected Ventura d Dos Pueblos who looks solid hitting but weak pitching, San Marcos beats Santa Barbara for the first time since 2005...way to go SM!...they look like a solid team for 2010. Camarillo takes care of Rio Mesa and looks to be a force for the year also. Camarillo v Oxnard next week should be a huge game.
Tuesdays games:
Santa Barbara 13 - DP 5 Trey Barret hits two home runs in the same inning...guess the pitcher didn't learn anything the first time around....
Buena 7 San Marcos 0
Just shows that talent can overcome coaching and a wake up call for San Marcos.

Next up for Channel League
DP vs Buena @ Buena
SB vs Ventura @ Ventura

Late add: Oxnard 7 Camarillo 5. Lots of parody out there.
Last edited by BOF
quote:

Wow, congrats to Cody! I guess he held Yelich in check.

...Plus 8 others. As my son said last night when we saw it posted on the LATimes.."Yes he is THE MAN!"
It was reported that there were 30 scouts there, quite a scene.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/201...24/buckel-zeroes-in/

Moorpark: The Musketeers scored six times in the top of the seventh to pull out the win. Tanner Moe was 3 for 4 with two RBIs. Marc Palacios was 2 for 3 with three RBIs and was also the winning pitcher.

Newbury Park: Joe Christian was 3 for 4 with a double and two runs scored. Jordan Brower had three hits.

Records: Moorpark 7-2, 2-1 Marmonte League, Newbury Park 1-2.

Simi valley 5, calabasas 0

At Simi Valley

Simi Valley: Levi Shordon pitched a four-hitter with six strikeouts and one walk. Matt Baynard had a double, single and scored twice. Andrew Rohrbach had two hits, an RBI and scored a run. Cody Martines had a hit and RBI.

Records: Calabasas 5-4, 2-1 Marmonte League; Simi Valley 5-4, 1-2.

Thousand Oaks 8, Agoura 5

At Thousand Oaks

Thousand Oaks: James Brady had a leadoff homer and Cody Thomson added a three-run homer in a four-run first inning. Timmy Ginther had two hits, including a solo homer. Brady had three hits and four RBIs. Trevor O’Shea had two hits. Mark Manos had a double.

Agoura: Josh Broussard hit a three
D7 vs. D1. Interesting article in this morning's paper about Cornerstone Christian of Camarillo. They are a D7 team that has won 30 straight. They'll be taking on TO and Calabasas in the Anaheim Lion's tournament. You never know, but my guess is that they'll be doing well if they can keep one of the two games close.
CADad, I've seen both TO and Calabasas play and feel that they have more talent than some of there games have shown. Knowing and watching some D7 games in the past,I would tend to agree that the games could turn ugly. We get to see if the talent at CC of C is as good as the record states. I know nothing about the team, So looking forward to results and box scores in the Daily News.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.