Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First you have to wonder, how he got spiked in the head in the first place. What happened?

Outlaw spikes and we might as well require face protectors on helmets and full body armor when stepping to the plate.

"God knows I gave my best in baseball at all times and no man on earth can truthfully judge me otherwise."...Joe Jackson
Just to give you all an insight as to how players can get spiked in the face, I will relate two experiences my son's team had last year. Both times the spiked players were playing third base when runners were slidding into the base head first. Just as the tag was being placed, the legs of both runners came up over their back somewhat like the tail of a scorpion. One player took 22 stitches, and the other one, my son, ended up with a broken nose. By the way, both players got the put out.

I thought it was a once in a life time occurance, but to have an accident like that to happen to the same team in one season was unbelieveable. Go figure.

To answer the orginal question,I believe they are necessary. Most fields the HS play on are not Camden Yard quality. Most are tightly packed dirt, and without the metals cleat's ability to cut into this surface most players would look like they were on ice skates. Besides, this a player's right of passage to the next level of baseball. Little league rubber cleats, now metal cleats. Accidents will happen, just another facet of the game.

Last edited {1}
My oldest son received a gash on his shin as he slid into second base. It was one of those weird things that happen. I am still in favor of the metal spikes. I agree it seems to be a rite of passage for players. Youngest son couldn't wait to buy his first metal spikes.

"Every member of our baseball team at West Point became a general; this proves the value of team sports." --General Omar Bradley
I am strongly opposed to face masks and body armour and I have never seen the kinds of spiking injuries described here, and I hope I never do. That said, I have little doubt that the manufacturing techniques and technology exists to produce rubber or plastic cleats that would perform just fine up to the major league level.

To prevent this kind of injury, it seems worth it to me.
If they came up with a rubber or plastic cleat that would have the same performance, it would also be sharp enough to penetrate skin too. Skin is much easier to puncture than a hard dirt ballfield. I say the answer is in stricter policing and definition of what an acceptable ball diamond should be. If the ground was kept softer or a new material was introduced on top of the dirt, then a rubber spike could be used. It is a rite of passage that boys look forward to, but if it could prevent disfiguring accidents it would be worth it.

http://www.highviewheat.com/index.asp

http://www.kristensfastpitchworld.com/index.asp
When I played I loved the sound they made while walking on pavement. I was also sliced from the knee up to the groin by a guy sliding into third.

Took about three weeks to heal, but I wouldn't trade metal for anything, it's the sound!

Sounds like BASEBALL!

Herzog's Rules
1. Be on time.
2. Bust your butt.
3. Play smart.
4. Have some laughs while you're at it!
Last edited {1}
Most leagues allow metal spikes at 13 which I think is about two years to young. I think the kids should wait until high school to move to metal cleats. Baseball is a game of tradition and metal spikes are and always will be a part of that tradition until something better (from a performance standpoint) comes along. So at the risk of sounding harsh if you don't want to get spiked in the face or hand then don't slide headfirst. I also know that middle infielders, 3rd basemen and catchers are a little bit more cautious when they see a player sliding in feet first and sometimes that is the little edge you need in this game of inches.
If a kid gets hit in the helmet with a pitch, 3 inches the other way he may lose an eye as well.

Here's an incident that happened during last year 4A playoffs in TX:

Harker Heights baseball player remains paralyzed

TEMPLE — Six days after fracturing the fifth vertebra in his neck during a bi-district baseball game with Montgomery, Harker Heights' infielder Jack Noyes is still paralyzed from the chest down.

Noyes, who underwent 2½ hours of surgery Tuesday to remove the injured vertebra and two discs surrounding it, remains hospitalized at Scott & White Memorial Hospital.

A metal plate was placed in the teen's neck for added support, along with a piece of shin bone from a cadaver.

Noyes suffered the injury on May 3 when he collided with Montgomery second baseman Trent Tucker during a rundown. He was removed from the field by paramedics some 17 minutes later.

"Jack's spirit and determination are what are keeping us going," Noyes' father Paul said. "He's still talking about walking again, playing baseball again, and going to college."

Accidents happen, baseball is a sport, sometimes people get hurt. Sometimes a non-contact sport becomes a contact sport.

"God knows I gave my best in baseball at all times and no man on earth can truthfully judge me otherwise."...Joe Jackson
Last edited {1}
coachdw...in today's game many players are using plastic-rubber cleats...especially in college. If you take notice alot of college players are leading the way. Really don't need metal on the great fields they have today. Many pitchers at the MLB level also are wearing non-metal more and more.

Once the kids try them, they like them.

"If you can imagine it you can create it. If you can dream it, you can become it". William Arthur Ward

"Baseball is Life"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.