Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's not going to be top baseball programs with potential pro players. If a baseball player attends college he's targeting the draft at twenty-one. MLB franchises aren't interested in low level prospects in their mid 20s. Chances are if there are 21yo freshmen they're returning from military service or a Mormon mission. Sometimes you see older freshmen in college football who signed baseball contracts out of high school.

I would be curious to hear what division/level schools you are seeing this at.  I see it at some of the remote JC's here in California where the coach is looking to roll out enough talent and is willing to reel in the guys who struggled with grades or other issues previously and are still hanging on to maybe some distorted version of "the dream".  

As I say that, though, I guess all players have a different version 

When my son was playing at a D2 university one of his teammates was in his mid-20's (24 I think).  He had played when he was 19-20, and then dropped out of college so he still 1-2 years of eligibility left.  He was still playing adult league baseball in the interim.  Not sure how the coach found him, but he lured him back to school.  I think he was the oldest on the team.

I know of a JC close by that had a 25 year old freshman.  He was drafted out of high school, didn't sign, ended up with a kid and just worked and lived life for several years.  He could still throw low 90's, so, he is playing now.  

He has the right to play certainly, but, kind of sucks for the 18 year old RHP throwing 82 hoping to stick.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.