Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The invite only is the crazy part.  Same kids who play for the same organizations coached by the same guys who recommend their players.  If they really want to do this right it should be open to all.  The kids who get invitations are already known (and hyped and promoted and showcasing etc etc etc) - a truly ground up approach to identifying prospects would allow anyone...just my 2 cents

Twoboys posted:

The invite only is the crazy part.  Same kids who play for the same organizations coached by the same guys who recommend their players.  If they really want to do this right it should be open to all.  The kids who get invitations are already known (and hyped and promoted and showcasing etc etc etc) - a truly ground up approach to identifying prospects would allow anyone...just my 2 cents

Have to agree with the above comment and the one before it regarding NTIS.  That PG's and BF's events are open to everyone, maintain a high degree of credibility and impartiality, and appear to be free from politics and historical artifacts probably helps explain how and why every year these two organizations consistently uncover "new" talent that up until then wasn't on anybody else's radar screen.

Last edited by Enjoying the Ride

It doesn't make sense.  For the kid whose family can't afford to be on the ECB Astros or attend the $650 showcase a free showcase would be huge!  However, in this case, it appears you have to be invited and in order to be invited you have to be seen at an event where the ECB Astros would play or a high dollar showcase.

Wish they would have 2 events, day 1 open to EVERYONE, each kid gets 5 minutes to show their best thing (hitting, pitching, speed, arm strength...etc) and based on that event is who gets invited to be at the invitation only event. Now THAT would bring out a lot of unknown talent and be a deterrent for the kid who is already on a top 100 list for their age group.  They wouldn't waste their time standing in line for 4 hours to show off for 5 minutes but the kid who is really good but isn't on a top team would stand in line for 10 hours to have a shot at getting in front of college coaches for free.

Basically a way to adjust to ending the ML Scouting Bureau.  The bureau used to hold their own tryouts or if you want to call them... showcases.  

I don't think it will change much of anything.  The thing I like best about it is the fact they plan on doing these in many different locations.  That actually eliminates more expense than the event being free.  One day events kind of limit the evaluation process.  All in all, I think this is a good thing, but time will tell.

PGStaff posted:

Basically a way to adjust to ending the ML Scouting Bureau.  The bureau used to hold their own tryouts or if you want to call them... showcases.  

I don't think it will change much of anything.  The thing I like best about it is the fact they plan on doing these in many different locations.  That actually eliminates more expense than the event being free.  One day events kind of limit the evaluation process.  All in all, I think this is a good thing, but time will tell.

Do  you think it will eventually replace the events like East Coast Pro? 

pabaseballdad posted:
PGStaff posted:

Do  you think it will eventually replace the events like East Coast Pro? 

I don't think that many realize that MLB has area scouts placed in strategic areas to identify prospects. They also hold showcases.

As Jerry has suggested, this program would replace the above.  

But it won't change in identifying undiscovered talent, as stated this is geared to showcase top prospects all ready known.

So IMO, I don't think it will.

I doubt it will replace anything, but time will tell.  I do think it will help feed the multi day events like ECP and Area Codes.  There's just too big of a difference between a one day workout and  what happens at the bigger events.  My hope is it helps to identify more deserving players, especially those that simply can't afford to travel.  My fear is it just keeps the same group of players in front of everyone over and over.  After all, there is no reason the same top prospects need a one day workout in addition to everything else out there for them.

In a way, it does sound like this is similar to the many area code and some ECP tryouts that MLB scouts hold.  So we will have to see how that plays out.  Maybe this will replace some of that, but not the main ECP and Area Code national events.

My guess would be that he participated in NTIS/Team USA Tryouts at some point which I would agree feels a lot like a money grab.  You can end up paying tryout and tournament / tryout fees in that.  We managed to participate in NTIS at Cary without paying very much at all out of pocket but it did seem like they were just going through the motions especially with kids that were not from LA/the West Coast where they have final tryouts and selections. In the end I think that they took the best players who were all basically the biggest oldest kids who threw the hardest but the event and experience was a cattle call that was not as billed and pushed you through the Team USA gear store as much as possible.  

Overall  a good experience for the fact that it was an eye opener and disappointment ( which we'll certainly have more of) for my son which only motivated him to work harder and train more in the off season.       

Consultant posted:

Joe;

USA Baseball has joined with MLB for this project. Players are selected by pro scouts. Did your son play in the Area Code games? All players are selected by pro scouts for 30 years.

Did he pay a fee?

Bob

Went to ECP, passed on AC. Of course, no fee.

My point about USA Baseball: I'm very skeptical about the organization, and they have a deserved negative reputation among those with whom I've spoken. Revenue-centric, biased.

Goblue33 posted:

My guess would be that he participated in NTIS/Team USA Tryouts at some point which I would agree feels a lot like a money grab.  You can end up paying tryout and tournament / tryout fees in that.  We managed to participate in NTIS at Cary without paying very much at all out of pocket but it did seem like they were just going through the motions especially with kids that were not from LA/the West Coast where they have final tryouts and selections. In the end I think that they took the best players who were all basically the biggest oldest kids who threw the hardest but the event and experience was a cattle call that was not as billed and pushed you through the Team USA gear store as much as possible.  

Overall  a good experience for the fact that it was an eye opener and disappointment ( which we'll certainly have more of) for my son which only motivated him to work harder and train more in the off season.       

USA Baseball is akin to the USOC, the IOC, FIFA, et al: organizations born out of the desire to generate revenue from sports via wrapping the sport with a country's flag. It's nirvana for sponsors.

I'm not begrudging anyone from finding a market and generating revenue, jobs, tax revenue, etc. But don't tell me that USA Baseball is in it for the players...especially the younger ones. USA Baseball is in it for USA Baseball, not for the players, the scouts, recruiters, etc.

Goblue33 posted:

See my comments:

"...which I would agree feels a lot like a money grab"

"....Overall  a good experience for the fact that it was an eye opener and disappointment"

So, I'm certainly not telling you that I disagree with your main point.   

Wasn't taking it that way at all. I was using your post to offer additional opinions.

bacdorslider posted:

I had two attend the NTIS / USA stuff in NC.... would never recommend to any player.  Stay away from USA baseball

My son made the 14u development team and spent a week in Cary, all expenses paid.  It really helped him understand what playing at the next level was all about.   Now, I have heard that the identification series can be a money maker.  But if someone is invited to actually play on the team, I would highly recommend it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.