Skip to main content

Oh my God.

I am so devastated to read about this.

My prayers and tears are for Chris and his family, of course, and his friends and teammates, but especially for the boy who hit the ball. It certainly wasn't his fault, but I'm sure he feels that it was. What a tragedy.

Baseball is truly a violent sport.

What a sad story. I wish peace and understanding and God's love to everyone in the baseball community.
Last edited by play baseball
There was netting, but, as you know, there are gaps in some netting for entrance/exit. Generally, they will double layer (with no gap) the netting to prevent this very thing. Without personal knowledge, apparently the second layer was not there.

Still, a freak accident to clear through two gaps in the netting.
Timing is everything.
Today is the first official day for HS baseball to begin in Kansas. Tryouts throughout our league start today.

I spoke to my son about this story.

As un upperclassman this year, suggested that he take it upon himself to be aware of safety and the safety of his teammates.
A point we had taken for granted up until now.
We had not said the actual words.

Figured it never hurts to say it one more time.

Perhaps this tragic story will remind all of us starting fresh this baseball season that although inevitably, tragedies do happen and can not always be avoided, we CAN make it OUR job to
be aware and willing, to ALWAYS go that extra step to ensure that all safety procedures are enforced, not overlooked, or taken for granted.
Everyone inspect your equipment, check the cages, check the netting. Dont take for granted that someone else has done this. As parents, players, coaches, administrators,( etc. ) lets make this OUR problem and no one elses. A joint committment to safety. Perhaps a positive step towards awareness shall come from such tragedy.

God rest this athletes soul and bring comfort to those that are hurting so deeply.

As a baseball parent, I know the entire baseball community/family is deeply saddened and effected.
It happened to one of our own.
It could happen to anyone of us.

Play hard,...play smart,....play safe!!!
~ God Bless ~
Last edited by shortstopmom
There were a total of four "sleeves" side-by-side and then stacked:

________________________ _______________________
[ ] [ ]
[_______________________] [_______________________]

________________________ _______________________
[ ] [ ]
[_______________________] [_______________________]

The pitchers were throwing behind "L" screens with their backs to each other standing towards the middle sections witht he batters towards the ends in each cage, therefore, the ball had to travel through the end of one and through the end of another one to hit the boy. Even without the double layer, one in a million.
Last edited by tychco

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.