Skip to main content

If you have been reading the posts under
"Marshals Announce Fall HS Tryouts" then you probably know about all the talk of merged umbrella teams beginning November.

I would like to know as much info as possible before I decide on a team for the fall.
I am like most players - trying out for a team for the Fall and Spring. If the November announcement eliminates some teams then I have to start all over
finding a team in December. I'd be better off finding another team now.

if anybody knows any other details , please post what you know.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Several posts (on the two "l" thread) have an undertone of disgruntlement. My son has been involved with two of the three aforementioned teams. During his tenure, both situations were a great fit for his baseball development.

Whatever happens in the future, we will evaluate the opportunity and find the best fit for him. Coming from West Texas we consider ourselves blessed to be in the metroplex where there are many organizations in which to find a great baseball fit.

I'm sure the organizations in question will notify their players when/if they have something to let them know. Until then, everything is secondhand, and patience is a virtue. Smile
Last edited by collikar
The 7/1 date brings both excitement and disappointment.

The changes that are evident after high school graduation begin to show as the boys that will continue on now begin to separate from those whose career will end in high school.

An unsettling time.......................

And, it happens again, in the fall of the freshman year of college, then in early spring, again at the end of the junior and senior years.

And then, if you are "lucky" enough to move on, it can happen anytime.

It happens many ways and takes many forms, but it still happens..............
Last edited by FormerObserver
marshals.rule,

As you know, Catcher made the post below on another thread on this site. I suggest you follow his advice and chill until Monday. You are not being forced to make a decision this weekend on where your son will play next summer, so just relax. Anything that anyone is posting on this website before Catcher posts on Monday is pure speculation. Let the man enjoy his vacation in Washington DC with his family.
UE

Catcher posted:
I will make an announcement on Monday...

Were heading to the Smithsonian...

Can we all just relax and wait til Monday?

It will all be OK...I'm signing off til then, because Mrs. Catcher will get upset if she "catches" me doing baseball stuff
on vacation...take a deep breath...
Last edited by Uncle Ethan
Can I comment?

Well, I will anyway.

I don't know if there is any truth to the merger rumor, but I will say this...

DBAT has grown from an instructional facility into a multi functional operating business.

I can remember the night I met with Cade in his dirty apartment. He was excited what was to come and wanted all involved to be as well. He gave each instructor a free glove and a place to earn a living.

Over the years, DBAT has added wood bats, clothing, equipment, camps, leagues, and the topic of this thread............teams.

It's obvious the success that has come with each venture.

How many other baseball facilities do you know that has had the finacial stability and operational success of DBAT? For that matter, how many even stay in business?

My point is, Cade and Kyle Griffis are pretty sharp individuals when it comes to new ideas for amatuer baseball. Now their deer hunting decisions may be left to question.

Do they make decisions for a profit? Of course. But in my opinion if they can feed their families in trade for the thousands of families they've helped..........I'm alright with that.

Just a few years ago, I was part of a merger with DBAT and the Knights. I'd like to think that those teams added to the national recognition that DBAT teams have today.

If a new merger is upon us, I think the thought process behind it be well thought out and a plan will be in place.

For those who fear some players will be outcasts...

Guess again.

If a player is removed from any team, he plays for another which makes that team better or worse.

If 15 players are removed from a so called "A" team, those 15 players will make up another "A" team. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if several new organizations are a direct result of a possible merger. Those organizations may bring a better product than what's been in place. Who knows?

When it's all said and done, Cade and Kyle (and even Kirk) are good people. They want what's best for their families, young aspiring baseball players, and amatuer baseball in the DFW community.

As for Shayne and the Marshal's, can't speak for much other than the product on the field. I was always impressed with the organization and presence shown by them.

As for Sam and the Mustangs, I'd hate to see the target removed. I loved coaching against them because they had my respect. (and Cade, I don't think any team I coached lost to them. For you, I understand the "if you can't beat them, join them" approach if that's what your doing. Razz)

I don't always see eye to eye with Cade on some issues, but we usually hash those out at deer camp or at the regional tournament. I believe our disagreements only help the friendship we've shared for so long.

Bottom line here folks, as long as the important issues remain at the forefront of any decision, the outcome will be successful.

That is to develop young men, teach discipline and responsibilty, and promote amatuer baseball under the "team" concept.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
The Mustangs and Marshalls are long established organizations, as is DBAT to a lesser extent. It wouldnt feel right if these three teams werent playing ball around the metroplex.

But that being said, people are going to do whats best for them, and I can only hope and pray that whatever they do is in the best interest of the kids involved. Sam, Cade, etc seem to all be classy people. I highly doubt they're going to leave their kids in the cold. Just my .02 cents.
Ok after 6 or 7 phone calls tonight I guess it is time for me to speak. I will only address a few questions at this time.

Why is no one speaking about this yet?

Shayne is on Vacation and out of respect of Momma Catcher we will answer all questions on Monday. Shayne does not need any more phone calls as he is taking his family on their only vacation of the year.

Is this is all about Money?

You will not find any parent in the last 10 years that has played for a D-BAT team that ever wrote a check for their team dues to D-BAT. We would lose thousands of $ every year on our teams. Each parent would write the checks to the team Manager for the yearly dues and D-BAT would see none of it. I believe the going rate to play for a select team is about $1,600-$1,800 you can choose to pay that with any organization you feel like. But you will still pay close to that amount. And believe me even the guys that do the summer teams for money make very little, considering the time they spend on your kids. Summer select teams is the fun part of what I do and if any of you have figured out how to make a bunch of money running summer teams please let me know. I will get out of the Academy and Wood business and do what is fun. Please PM Me……

What is this going to do for DFW baseball?

Absolutely Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason no one is saying anything is that they don’t want to affect the MSL.

We currently have over 30 kids signed up for the MSL that did not even play in DFW this past summer. We have kids from East Texas, the Panhandle, and Oklahoma that have signed up. We have had at least 20 other players from Houston, W.Falls, East Texas, and Oklahoma that have contacted us wanting to play. So filling the MSL is NO PROBLEM. That I can assure you.

Will kids be left with no place to play?

Absolutely Not!!!!!!!!!!!

Regardless what the outcome may bring, if I was a betting man you will see a D-BAT team (or 2) in the Farmington in the near future. You will see a D-BAT team (or 2) in the Mickey Mantle W.S in the future. You will see a D-BAT team place 1st place in BBI and Lone Star in the future. You will see me continue to work hard to get my kids college scholarships ever year. You will see Houston put together a MSL fall league that mirrors what Sam, Shayne and I have done here in DFW.

You will also see a Mustang team (or 2) in the Farmington in the near future. You will see a Mustang team (or 2) in the Mickey Mantle W.S in the future. You will see a Mustang team place 1st place in BBI and Lone Star in the future.

We took the same harsh commits when we started the MSL and what did that bring. It brought an average of 22 scouts a week to Dallas to watch your kids. Without you having to spend hardly any money on gas, hotels, travel, ect….

Everyone just be calm and don’t hit the panic button, everything will be OK.
Last edited by KCR
Link copied to your clipboard.