Skip to main content

I overheard this conversation and wanted to know if there was any truth to it. The NLI early signing period is from Nov 8 - 15, a college coach mentioned to a player that he was having a workout on Nov 11th and if the player attended and the coach was satisfied with what he saw that he could have a NLI e-mailed to him by Nov 13th giving the player up to the 15th to sign. Is this possible or was it a smokescreen.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I should look this up before answering...but in the past the NLI week was a "dead period," meaning no face-to-face contact with players during that time. If I'm right, this situation doesn't seem right to me.

BTW, "dead" periods are mostly intended to protect the athlete from the days where coaches hung out in their front yard with NLIs day and night...trying to get that signature. This was not uncommon in football and basketball.
The dead period is just before the 11th but it is during the quiet period:

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/membership_svcs/recruit...6-07/DI_Baseball.doc

What is strange is the emailing of the NLI, I should also look that up if it was legal but it could be pratical if the school had a pretty good idea that they are ready to offer and they would want others in the staff to validate their decision.
Reading the following is beginning to make sense, maybe it can be possible.

Quiet Period - permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the member institution's campus.

How do I get a National Letter of Intent to sign?
The institution recruiting you will send you the National Letter of Intent. It can only come by express mail, courier service, regular mail, e-mail or facsimile machine. The materials you receive should include an offer of athletics financial aid for the entire school year (two semesters or three quarters).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.