Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by mathews41:
I do not know many of these players. Are they all seniors? The ones I do know are 2012 grads and are deserving to be on the list. Any input from the coaches that know/ the coaches that are regularly on here?

According to the Perfect Game web site, this is their All American High School Seniors list.
quote:
Originally posted by eyefortalent1:
Good thing they're crosschecking.

They do a great job. If a kid doesn't attend their event or doesnt show well, what should they do?

Funny thing is all you do is complain about who is getting slighted. I'm betting your son is "overlooked". If you can do better, please do.
The negativity, questioning, and second guessing every single list that gets posted is unbelievable.

I scanned the list quickly and recognized almost every name. So they may have left a kid off that someone thinks had good stats. Cut them some slack.

Anybody can put a website together and make a preseason, midseason, postseason list. Make your own. Difference is people sort of respect the lists by the organizations that get out and see kids (or have thousands of kids come to them like PG).

Also, If all you watch are games in your sons district you are only seeing a small sample size. Can you accurately compare the shortstop from your team vs a shortstop from a team you've never seen? Think about it.

This is a great list of players. There may be good ball players that didn't make it, but I doubt that there are many studs that got left off.

My 2 cents.

Rich
www.playinschool.com
sometimes living inside the "Prospect Stars" bubble doesn't pay off for national or even regional recognition.

I know the mentality in NOVA is that if you are good here you must be amongst the best everywhere. Not everyone agrees apparently.

As for every player on the list being worthy - I would disagree. I am not going to call out individual kids (not fair) but I personally know of at least 5 players on the list who didn't even compete last spring or summer due to injury or suspension. There were a couple others who are obviously living off of their reputations from their freshman or sophomore years because their 2011 seasons were completely unspectacular both in HS and on the travel scene.

But that's the best part of these things - the uproar!!!!!
We have seen Andrew Rector play. He is a very good player. These type lists will always miss a few deserving players.

That said, the track record of these Preseason All American lists is very good. Especially when compared to any other national preseason list. You can check the results of past years and form your own opinion.
quote:
As for every player on the list being worthy - I would disagree. I am not going to call out individual kids (not fair) but I personally know of at least 5 players on the list who didn't even compete last spring or summer due to injury or suspension. There were a couple others who are obviously living off of their reputations from their freshman or sophomore years because their 2011 seasons were completely unspectacular both in HS and on the travel scene.

The fact that someone did not compete for a season would not remove them from this list - just as it does not take them off the college radar. I also think that it would be difficult to know how these kids did in HS and travel unless it was your kid or a kid on your players travel AND HS team. Results do not always equate to making these lists as the lists often include projection and athleticism in addition to quantifiable results/stats. A player with a great swing and projectable body type with a batting average of .250 might be ranked above a player with an average swing and non-projectable body type with a batting average of .350.
eyefortalent1,

It wouldn't be that hard to check all district teams. Problem is, if we used that, we would be basing our list on someone elses opinion other than our own.

We don't really care that much about 2011 stats or all conference/all district teams. We are looking for the best players. Those players might or might not be listed on all district teams.

We do consider injuries, but we don't completely eliminate a player because he was injured last year. Why would anyone do that?

Rather than complain why not check out the results from previous years? Here is the link... Rawlings/PG Preseason All America

At the top you will see a box (Jump to a different year) It will show the preseason lists for every year since 2007. Then compare it to all other national preseason lists.

It's impossible to be perfect. We actually make some mistakes. For sure, no list like this will ever satisfy everyone.
quote:
Originally posted by SFaison:
Their is no secret, simply attend one of the numerous PG events and perform. To assume favoritism or bias is a little ridiculous, but I think its safe to say everybody on it deserves to be on it.

I think you are absolutely correct, if a player did not attend a Perfect Game event, how would PG know who they are? it's their list based on their opinion. if you look at the web page and click on a kids name you can watch video of them running a 60, pitching, fielding, and hitting, and I'll be ****ed if it isn't at a PG event.
Last edited by playright
I think the way that everyone jumped all over eyefor talent is appalling. Two years ago or so, when I first started reading this board, some list or ranking was published (by Perfect Game, if I'm not mistaken), and Kenny Towns was omitted. I'm pretty sure that most HS baseball fans in VA know Kenny -- freshman starter at one of the most competitive NOVA high schools, played all the way through States that year, and was a phenomenal contributor until he graduated. All Met Player of the Year (2011) if I remember correctly. Now playing for UVA.

I remember questioning that first list I read, and receiving some comments back inferring I was his parent plugging for accolades. I may live in his community, but don't believe I've ever even chatted with that young man. Everything I know I've either seen, heard or read. Needless to say, I found the responses offensive. Fortunately, PG responded nicely, agreed that there was a good possibilty of false ommission, and offered to research.

In the case of Drew Rector, I've never seen him play; but I've been hearing about his talent and accomplishments from multiple sources for at least the past 4 years...maybe longer. Sometimes mistakes are made, and there shouldn't be any harm in someone suggesting as much.

Typically I'm impressed with the participants on this forum -- positive, professional and character-focused. Not this time, though.
Actually this same list a year ago had Kenny Towns 2nd Team All Region. (The "region" 6 states... MD, NC, PA, SC, VA, WV) As you might imagine there is a lot of talent in those states every year.

He is now a freshman at UVA. Someone could sure make a good argument that we should have placed Kenny on the first team. They very well could be correct.

The kids from VA that were on the first team were...

Jake Cave, Evan Beal, Deshorn Lake, Shawn Morimando, TJ Costen, Leland Clemens, Taylor McConnell, Joe McGillicuddy, Nick Thompson, Kevin White.

Obviously Kenny fits in with most of those players. We had him ranked in the top 500 in the nation. We might have been wrong, it wouldn't be the first time... or the last.

Regarding Rector, we've seen him... He is a good player. I wish we would have included him. Maybe we made a mistake.

On the other side I remember when people on here were barking about all the hype Justin Upton was getting from us. Supposed good baseball people saying he was way over rated and spelling out the reasons why. I remember a baseball writer in Toronto calling us a joke when we had Joey Votto ranked as a top prospect in Canada. They said we were the only one's to have him mentioned among all the so called experts on the draft.

So it goes both ways. For sure everyone's opinion should be respected.

I hear where your coming from MHC77, but if you read all the posts closely I think you will realize the difference...

So and So should be on that list, because of these reasons.

TO

quote:
Just trying to keep these lists honest.

Is it really that difficult to research the All-Region teams?

All-District teams might be a little tougher to find, but then again if that is your full time job, then it can't be that difficult.

There's this thing called the internet, that is pretty handy for finding that kind of information.

I completely agree that it is impossible to compare players from different areas.

If I were to do that though, the first place I would start would be the All-Region and All-District teams.

The reason that bothers me is because we really do work very hard. It's not only Virginia that we deal with. And we are totally honest when it comes to these things. And it's a fulltime job for well over 50 of us. Many who scour the internet every day. There is no one person that could ever do it, no matter how easy they might think it is. Not do it well, anyway! And actually it's not that hard to compare players from different areas. You just need to see them play. We've been doing it for a long time and the results can be checked without a lot of effort.
Last edited by PGStaff
PG, my response was not directed at you at all. You guys do a phenomenal job. Mistakes and differences of opinion are inevitable, and with young kids, things change over time. There is no perfect answer, but any individual who expresses an opinion and offers some reasonable facts ought to be able to do so without getting jumped on. If I want to read obnoxious comments, I pull up Fairfax Underground.
quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
I presume it was directed at me and I will stand by what I said. He is negative on most every post. Even the way he brought up the omission was condescending. Attacking PG's efforts is a joke. Theywork their butt off to get it right.

MCH, if you are appalled, check his post history.

I will stand up for both PG and Redbird...both work their behinds off to get things right. Do they have a "miss" or make a mistake? Of course, because they are HUMANS, but they have 1000 hits (maybe more) to each mistake...I thank both for their efforts that benefit many fine young men trying to be their best.
Nice article in the Washington Post Fairfax local edition on Drew Rector. It talks about the advantages and pitfalls of playing multiple sports at the Varsity level in high school. Coach Luther, his HS baseball coach explains the biggest detriment is to those kids that play baseball.

Recognition by PG and other 3rd party ranking organizations is not as likely when you play mukltiple sports. It's a shame, but it's reality.
quote:
Originally posted by MHC77:
How hard certain individuals work and/or the quality of service provided were NEVER at issue.

I couldn't disagree more. You should start at the beginning and read eyefortalent's posts again. PG admitted they make mistakes and probably did so in this case too. What more do you want? The inclusion/ommission of kids on this list won't factor in their futures beyond high school baseball. Time to stop beating this dead horse and move on.
Not to bring back a sour subject, but we have added a new VA. player to our rankings and he might continue to rise.

These lists are constantly adding and adjusting. This addition should help explain that the rankings are not 100% based on players attending PG events. In fact, we didn't even have this player in our database until now. He did not play for any of the top travel teams.

The player is a pitcher from King George HS and he was recently well up into the 90s recently. As far as we know he is uncommitted at this time.

Wish we had known about him earlier. Currently we have him as a top 10 prospect in the state of Virginia. Top 250 in the nation. He will be going up or down from there as we learn more about him.

If someone has already mentioned him in this forum, they deserve a cookie.

Special thanks to the Canes!
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
The player is a pitcher from King George HS and he was recently well up into the 90s recently. As far as we know he is uncommitted at this time.

Damion Carroll. He pitched in KG's season opener at W&L, recording 16 K's out of 20 batters he faced in 6 innings. Only gave up 1 hit and 3 walks. His fastball was in the low 90's (91-92) last night. I've personally seen him throw as hard as 94.

I've had the pleasure of watching him grow as he has been a teammate of my son for several years now.

He is uncommitted. There were 18 scouts at the game last night.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.