Skip to main content

I am 15 6'2 180 I have a fastball changeup and curveball. I have very good control with my fastball. My changeup has very good movement and is my out pitch. My curveball is pretty good but can be a little inconsistent. I think i need a fourth pitch but probably don't want to throw a slider yet. Any advice?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Focus on the Fastball velocity and location.
Work on getting the changeup to break, have a solid differencial from the fastball, and keeping it down.
Use the curve as a get it over pitch and a 2 strike pitch [to give them a different look]

your 15, as am I... Most 15 year olds only throw 2 pitches, don't bother with a forth yet.

Focus on the Fastball and changeup.
a slider is a dangerous pitch, but if thrown correctly is very effective, and is no harder on your arm than a fb. put both of your fingers on one of the fourth seams, grip it like a curve. throw it just like a fastball. with your fingers to the left side of the ball will give it side spin. instead of following through with your hand next to your knee, pull your fingers into your ribs. if they are facing the side then you are twisting your wrist. which is wrong. this is actually more of a variation of a cutter than a slider, but i have found it very effective. make sure you have someone monitoring you when you throw it.
Maybe you can't, but I can supinate my wrist while taking the fingers to the ribs.

Again, be more clear and there will be fewer misunderstandings. Don't say slider when you are talking about a cut.

And please don't mislead someone into thinking that the slider is a pitch that isn't hard on the elbow. No 15YO needs to be messing with a slider.
I've thrown a slider for 2+ years now and have had no trouble. I'm pretty developed but am a strong believer that if you throw it correctly, no harm will occur. It's one of those things that if you let the grip do the work to get the movement on the ball you'll be fine, if you have to change arm action to try to almost push it to slide (normally causing the hand to get under the ball) then arm problems will be knocking on your door.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.