Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Sdlefty:
The base ump keeps it. Only seen it called once. I believe the first infraction is a warning and from then on out a ball is called.

The 20 seconds between pitches seems to be fine, but the 90 seconds between innings is chaos. It seems like to much rushing and ruins the pace of the games.

U3 keeps the time in most conferences. One warning and then ball is called for violations. A 20 second violation may not be argued. Coach is warned and any subsequent violation is an ejection.
My concern as always with these type of rules is that the penalty of the 90s rule ends up being applied to the pitcher. We already tend to see fewer warmup pitches than in the past and now if a catcher is late getting out there the pitcher gets penalized further most likely. Sure there should be a catcher available, but putting a pitcher's arm at risk is not the answer. The fault is most likely the coach's for lack of preparation. Kick the coach out of the game if there are repeated problems but don't put the pitcher's arm at risk.
Of all the college games I have seen this season, I believe I have only seen the rule enforced once, but it was against the batting team. When it was called, the team which it was called on called time and further delayed the game by disputing the call against the player who was an outfielder.

As for the pitchers, I can see it an additional challenge being for what few pitchers who still hit and if they are on the base when the inning ends, but short of that, they should be the first one out throwing with either the primary catcher or a backup.
quote:
Originally posted by trojan-skipper:
3rd base ump keeps it. That's interesting. Are they planning on installing pitch clocks I wonder? They use them at the national NBC tourney in Wichita every summer (of course what speeds games there is the 6 run rule after 7).

If I recall correctly, we were told no visible clocks in Regionals, Super Regionals or CWS.
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy03:
quote:
Originally posted by trojan-skipper:
3rd base ump keeps it. That's interesting. Are they planning on installing pitch clocks I wonder? They use them at the national NBC tourney in Wichita every summer (of course what speeds games there is the 6 run rule after 7).

If I recall correctly, we were told no visible clocks in Regionals, Super Regionals or CWS.

I haven't seen any problems with this time rule (it's in the regular season this year) and this week was the first time I saw a visible timer:

Please note, this is the #1 team in the country getting spanked 12-0!!!!
Last year I decided to come into the age of electronic scoring, and wrote my own program. One of the things I stuck in was a clock, since the computer time as always available. It’s a very simple clock that starts when the program does, and I can reset if I desire. Then it measure the time from when it starts to when press a button for a ball, called, fouled, or missed strike, or when I tell it a ball has been put into play. I seldom monkey with it, so it shows the time between innings when I mark the first pitch of a new one.

There are of course “issues”. I’ve been known to fumble finger and have to correct something, or get to talking or taking a potty break, then have to enter several pitches in a few seconds, and of course that makes the clock show some pretty absurd things, like 0.1 seconds. But in general, the clock records some pretty interesting things, and I store the time for each and every pitch.

I don’t do a lot with them yet, but I have put them on the scoresheet along with what happened on each pitch. If you look at it and take into consideration whether there were runners on, you can fairly easily see that there is a definite pattern. But the main thing is, on the pitches where the rule is in play, no runners on, you can see that 20 seconds is almost always made easily.

http://www.infosports.com/scor...ages/scoresheet1.pdf

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.