Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wait...what?

Did JMU conduct interviews, not make a decision and kept all candidates on ice until after the CWS, then pulled the trigger on Coach after interviewing CWS coaches? And this happens after Coach accepted another position.

JMU stepped in stuff, and it worked out well for everyone. Luck is the residue of design, even goofy design.

Originally Posted by joemktg:

Wait...what?

Did JMU conduct interviews, not make a decision and kept all candidates on ice until after the CWS, then pulled the trigger on Coach after interviewing CWS coaches? And this happens after Coach accepted another position.

JMU stepped in stuff, and it worked out well for everyone. Luck is the residue of design, even goofy design.

I don't know what they were doing. I don't know how early they started interviews but I can tell you they were doing live interviews during the CWS. And Ike interviewed during that specific week. Maybe they interviewed others earlier on. 

So you hire the guy who quit right before the spring season…then takes a job at an avg D3 program…and he leaves there to take your job? It just seems like a "settle for" hire. I wonder if some of the bigger names put forth aspirations (locker rooms, ass't pay, etc.) and JMU just decided they just wanted someone who'd be happy just to have the job and not demand the things it takes to be a good program. Honest to goodness, I'm scratching my head on this hire. If you were going to hire a coach of this caliber, you could have gotten them in May. It's going to be a long time before they are relevant again. 

The wide spectrum of comments on Coach Ike is surprising.  Seems like folks think he's either a great hire or a bad hire. Very little in between. 

I had heard nothing but positives about his time at VMI.  Son and I had the opportunity to meet him his final year at VMI and left very impressed.

JMU was not on my son's "list", but now that Coach Ike is there, he feels differently.  Thought is that Coach Ike wants to win and will do what it takes to recruit, challenge, and teach the kids.  JMU has top notch facilities. I expect that Coach Ike will have them right back in the hunt as a relevant school in 2-3 years at most.

Originally Posted by VaBaseball1919:
Originally Posted by TCWPreps:

From my sources ...

Ikenberry accepts W&L job on Friday ... resigns Monday and gets JMU job.

Lucas Jones is now W&L head coach.

Lucas Jones will do a great job at W&L. Good hire and I guess I will say it - an upgrade over the coach they hired and lost.

Agreed.  Lucas Jones is an excellent coach. My son played for him at Patrick Henry Community College his sophomore year.  It was Jones' first year at PHCC.  They finished 2nd in the Region and made it to the semifinals of the regional tournament.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.