Skip to main content

I just got a note from Midlo Son's head coach, sent to the entire team, indicating that the NCAA had changed its rules so that non-athletic, academic or financial aid will no longer count against the baseball program's 11.7 allotment.

I'm wondering if one of you NCAA rules gurus (3 Fingered Glove, you out there?) can amplify on this and maybe provide a link to the ruling?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A large number or proposals were approved on Jan 15; the override period will expire on March 16. There are too many to discuss here, but the main differences are that need based financial aid which is granted by the federal or state government is exempt from the 11.7 limitation. This is true even if the college selected the recipient. Previously only Pell and a few other specialty grants were exempt.

[Comment from 3FG: I think that an athletic scholarship will reduce the financial need of a student, so I'm not sure if this will typically affect the net dollars a player can get. It may positively affect the dollars the baseball program pays.]

State based merit aid is now also exempt with similar provisions to the above.

The GPA requirement for a college honor awards, typically awarded to players who didn't meet the academic exemptions criteria out of high school have been dropped from 3.3 to 3.0.

Enter 15 into Specified Legislative Cite and choose 2010 as the Submitted Year of the proposal in the LSDBi database search. Start with 2010-62. They run up to about 2010-75 or so. Note the defeated proposal to limit over-recruiting to just one equivalency! And the blunt admission that some NLI signers can be left in the cold.
https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/propSearch
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove
LSDBi is the NCAA legislative database, and I don't know of a way to access the info as a PDF. You get to the information by search process. By the way, I believe this is the official way to find out any NCAA rule, since the Manuals are only updated annually.

Get there by going to ncaa.org, then Resources (far right on the menu bar), then "Search NCAA legislation & major infractions cases",then Search, then Division I Proposals. Now you can select 2010 from the dropdown, and type in 15 (which is the Bylaw number associated with most financial aid rules.)
3FG,

Thanks for the link.. and I have to say, after reading the rationale behind the financial aid proposals, that it appears that this could be a boon to some student-athletes (baseball, but not basketball or football). I am copying into this response the proposal rationale regarding Federal Need-Based Aid from the NCAA site, there are similar proposals regarding State and Merit-Based Aid as well. All of the proposed changes would take effect August 1, 2011.

"Rationale: Currently, selected federal government grants are exempted from team and individual limit calculations. However, not all federal need-based aid [e.g., Supplemental Educational Opportunities Grant (SEOG)] is exempted from the calculation of maximum team financial aid limits. All federal government grants awarded based on a student's demonstrated financial need should be exempted from counting toward the maximum team financial aid limits. The aid would continue to count against the individual limit. This legislation would have a positive impact on student-athlete well-being by permitting additional sources of aid for the financially neediest students to be exempted from team financial aid limits and eliminating situations in which student-athletes are required to choose between accepting athletics aid or federal need-based aid. Safeguards (e.g., defined awarding criteria for all candidates, predetermined federal methodologies for calculating students with financial need, audits) are already in place for determining the recipients of federal need-based aid, thus minimizing the potential for abuse. Finally, this change would reduce bureaucracy for NCAA compliance monitoring and financial aid offices."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.