Skip to main content

I expected my son's NLI paperwork to come in the Spring - however it is being prepared for the November period.  Curious if there is any strategy/reasoning a coach would want to do it in Fall versus Spring?  Just caught me off guard....I know some folks don't get their until the spring. Maybe cause coaches are busy enough in the spring with their season?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Maybe I was getting a little ahead of myself since this is my first go-round with this so I absolutely sincere when asking the following.  It seems that most of the big programs, and really applies to any program, that have verbal commits from top prospects, don't they usually try to get them locked in during the early NLI date, or is it more common for them to wait?

Originally Posted by lefthookdad:

Maybe I was getting a little ahead of myself since this is my first go-round with this so I absolutely sincere when asking the following.  It seems that most of the big programs, and really applies to any program, that have verbal commits from top prospects, don't they usually try to get them locked in during the early NLI date, or is it more common for them to wait?

Early. Spring.....usually, not all the time......is for special situations and leftovers at the competitive D1 level.

I'm thinking early as well.  When my son was made an offer to his D2 school, they wanted an answer prior to the early signing period in November and had him sign then.  I saw the same with most guys he played with and against.  I think most coaches want this recruiting stuff wrapped up early so they can go about their business with the spring season.  I don't think they want to be recruiting during their regular season.  I think if they lose someone they had signed or lose a current player, then they will sign more in the spring signing period, but that is more of a fallback. 

Handshake deals are typically confirmed with NLI's at the first opportunity.  Since your son's deal is already made, why would they wait to confirm it?  I would think you/your son would feel slighted if they passed November by -- it would leave me wondering if they were having second thoughts.

Your son is being treated the normal way.  All is well.  Get ready for him to sign, then maybe have a little celebration!

In my son's case, 6 guys signed early NLI in November. 3 others were late signers end of spring. 2 early NLI guys got drafted & signed pro deals. 1 early NLI guy quit 1 week into fall ball. A total of 17 guys showed up for fall ball. Not sure how many will make it.

I think most coaches want to sign guys they have a verbal from as soon as they can. When others get drafted and sign pro deals, those schools go after the next guy on their list. 

If this is the school that your son wants to go too, sign! It also shows that this program is investing in him as a player.

Congrat's! Now have junior go out and enjoy his senior year of baseball without the stress!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.