Skip to main content

Hi All.

Things heating up now.  Son got offer which happened very quickly.  Visited school once, got tour and met with coach.  Had nice conversation.  Three days later they call with offer.   Coach told son he had 1 week to let them know.  Is this normal?  While offer is nice it is not his dream school.  Have visits coming up at other very interested schools.  Would rather not commit on first offer.  Would like to see what others have to offer too.   Are most offers this way?   On a side note,  team has 12 Red shirt players on roster.  Is this a RED Flag?  Seems like a lot to me.  

Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One week time frame is very typical. He needs to go where he thinks or has been told he will play. 12 RS sounds like a lot. It's one thing to compete for a shot, but another if he has little to know chance from a talent stand point. How does he measure up against current rooster and other incoming recruits.

Its still early, find a school that he loves nd they love him back. It does no good to go to a DI and sit the bench at a school he doesn't like. Good luck!

Originally Posted by jpk3:

Hi All.

Things heating up now.  Son got offer which happened very quickly.  Visited school once, got tour and met with coach.  Had nice conversation.  Three days later they call with offer.   Coach told son he had 1 week to let them know.  Is this normal?  While offer is nice it is not his dream school.  Have visits coming up at other very interested schools.  Would rather not commit on first offer.  Would like to see what others have to offer too.   Are most offers this way?   On a side note,  team has 12 Red shirt players on roster.  Is this a RED Flag?  Seems like a lot to me.  

Thanks

PS...Forgot to say congrats. getting the first offer means he's got the right stuff. Now time to find the right fit!

Thanks all.  Hard to find right fit.  Son has never had the AWE factor as I call it.  Every school just seems ok to him.  Hasn't got excited about one yet.  As you said its getting down to crunch time.  The ones that are interested all say the same thing,  he has a shot at pitching and getting more innings if things go well.  It will probably come down to which coach he likes the best.  Not the best way to decide, but that is where we are at.

At the beginning of the summer, my son got a great offer from a mid-major D1 and was likewise initially given a short time frame (10 days) to respond.  However, due to coach's and son's travel schedules, he was unable to meet with them for three weeks.  When they did meet, he was open about another school that was recruiting him and asked for another month to decide so he could attend their camp (already paid for, including plane tickets). Coaches said they appreciated his honesty and desire to be 100% sure before giving them his word.  Ended up accepting the original offer in mid-August with enthusiasm and the knowledge that he was going to play for coaches that were open, honest, understanding, and gracious throughout the recruiting process.  My son is a 2016 grad and things may be different for a 2015, but it may not hurt to be open about your son's situation, ask for a little more time, and see how the coach responds. 

My two cents...based upon what you've shared.  Obviously there is more since you stated he is talking to other schools.  I would be putting a full court press on those other schools to get their exact interest level at this point in time.

1) 1 week is pretty typical

2) 12 Red shirts seems like a lot, I'd want to know more and why

3) I agree with RJM.  Choose schools because of education not the Coach if it comes down to a tiebreaker.

4) If your son doesn't get the AWE factor (as you said) while he is being recruited then I would have concerns when actually joins the program.

Good luck!

Great to hear about your dilemma, we've been there. I would recommend that you and your son list all schools he would attend /play for.....top to bottom and by type. The dream schools are easy, my son's was Texas.....go figure. Once you have that list, he needs to be fully prepared to accept the offers from those schools that fit his expectations or not and/or walk away and bet on himself for others to come. We had absolutely no idea what we were doing and my son was offered by a mid major D1 school in NC that had no football the summer after his sophmore year. We thought that was way early and were excited but confused as we expected more exposure/showcases summer junior year.

While they have been known as a basketball school, they are building the baseball team up. Great visit, good people, very good offer but he wasn't in love with the program or school. They let us go about 1.5 months to Ft Myers and once they found out we were going to a few camps after that, they gave him a deadline and he refused the offer. Many of my friends have been given the 1 week or 2 week deadlines and it is stressful, especially if the offers are good but not great, school is private or D2-3 etc and kid was hoping for D1. Follow your gut, you dont want him to  be some where and be unhappy and save a few bucks....i wish you the bst of luck and hope you guys land somewhere he loves.

Thanks for all the great feed back.  It was along week, 3 schools in 4 days.  We where able to get a few more days out of D1, which helped alot.  Of the other 3 schools visited got offers for roster spots from 2. No $$.  Both of them are really strong D2 programs.  Son is really debating what to do.  The D1 offer from great academic school with fair baseball program.  Not a powerhouse, usually finishes bottom third of conference,  but would have a good chance pitching as freshman.

Now the D2 program he liked the best is fair academic, and already has 5 pitchers signed, all of which are 6.4 or bigger.  Son is measly 6.2.  So son would be bottom of totem pole for sure.  Probably wouldn't get on field first year or two.  Wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to red shirt him.  He really likes the program and coach.  Thought they would do more to develop him.  For me, I like the academic D1 and playing.  He still has the dream of playing at the next level.  I know anything is possible, but.

So do you pass on D1 go to strong D2?  Or hope something else comes along better?  This whole process is draining.

Thanks 

Congrats on a great week.  It is draining but you're almost in the home stretch.  These are not easy things to choose between.  Everybody's decision criteria are different.  Your son is putting a lot of emphasis on playing at the next level which my son never had.  So, with that in mind, I'd like to float these ideas by you.   This is where I'd be thinking if I was in your shoes....

1) Which program has the best history for getting players to the next level?

2) Which program has a history for placing their players in the best summer college baseball league for exposure to the next level?

3) Which program provides the best exit strategy should college/pro baseball not work out?

4) Which program provides the best academics in his major?

Good luck!

Hi Fenwaysouth 

Good advice.  It's still hard.  Just want him to go to the right place and enjoy it.  D2 has had more player going on.  D1 best academics.  Both place players for summer.  Coaches both seem to have lots of contacts.  Don't think there is much difference on exit strategies.  For me, if D1 had same pitching coach as D2 it would be a no brainer.  I guess you cant have it all.  Would be nice.  

Thanks

Go where it is the best fit for him, when you take baseball out of the equation. (assuming both are acceptable) Both in terms of the experience and his major. Talk to other players and their parents. 

If he is pro material then he will be seen in summer ball. Study the summer leagues and work him up to the Cape prior to his Jr year, as most MLB level college players are taken after their Jr year. If not then work towards it prior to his Sr season, and if this is the case he will likely be a higher round pick and that better degree is going to come in handy as the odds are pretty staggering for high round picks.

Originally Posted by jpk3:

......  For me, if D1 had same pitching coach as D2 it would be a no brainer.  I guess you cant have it all.  Would be nice.  

Thanks

That could be a tiebreaker with everything else being equal.  Possibly the pitching coach or their training methods is the tiebreaker?  My son was also a pitcher, and he spent the majority of his baseball practice time with his pitching coach whom he respected.   He learned a lot and developed under his pitching coach as they had the same philosophy.  He was a very calming influence on my son.  In our situation the position coach was a huge part to his success.     

I agree 100% with BOF that choosing a school by removing baseball from the overall equation was a very good idea for us as well.  At the end of the day, my son was more concerned about his GPA than his ERA.  But I also realize that some people don't share that viewpoint. 

Good luck!

My suggestion is that you take one step at a time. You are thinking of the next level and he hasn't even finished HS yet or been accepted to college.

You keep saying if it were up to me, and although you do have a say because you will be helping pay the bill, your son is the one that has to be happy.

No money in the offer?  Will the athletic money be replaced with academic or athletic money later on?  The 15 redshirts is a big red flag, why are there so many? Is this normal for a d2 program. Is his major important?

If I have repeated what anyone else has said I apologize.

My suggestion is dont take any offer if it is just to compromise, there will be opportunities later on.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.