Skip to main content

What would happen if today’s basketball players competed with those from the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s?

What would happen if the same thing happened in football? It wasn’t too long ago that a big lineman was 220 pounds. Now we know they are routinely over 300 pounds and can run.

Today’s players are bigger, stronger and faster in basketball and football.

So my question is, why do many baseball people think that baseball is stuck in a time warp?

I’m not taking anything away from the yesteryear’s heroes. They were the best at their time. However they didn’t have to compete against today’s bigger and stronger athletes.
Mantle hit the ball over 500 feet, on several occasions, and from either side of the plate. The last I checked, that was plenty strong enough to hit it out of any park we have today.

I agree strength and speed probably are different today but that doesn't necessarily mean today's players are better. At one time, the only game in town was baseball and there were also fewer teams competing for essentially the entire sports talent pool (after Jackie Robinson). How many of today's better players may be currently occupied in other sports - notably football and basketball.
quote:
Originally posted by raiderbb:

i'll get my info from the college and pro level who do it in the real world for a living.

Agree whole-heartedly. I like to read about theory, and apply some of it, but until some of these guys are doing it somewhere other than a 70-foot indoor cage, I'll stick with the guys with the impressive W-L records.
Linear

Everything you do is try and teach or is it convince others that you way is the only way--

and we can do without the name calling because all yopu do is make a fool of yourself-- Barney was also a hitting instructor in OPIEVILLE for the LL-- I heart all his kids made varsity and went on to college baseball glory

also I am still waiting for the answers to the questions I posed--be a man and answer them if you can

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.