Skip to main content

So my last day of tryouts is today(I personally don’t think I made it), and I only had one day of fielding. Unfortunately, i had a bad fielding day on the day we were doing fielding, and we’ve just been hitting ever since, which I’m frustrated about. Is this normal for other schools?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm 60 years old and I'm still trying to figure out what normal is.  The bottom line is you don't know specifically what the Coach is looking for, and what he needs unless he told you.   If this is a first time coach, I would say his methodology is a little off.   But if he is a returning coach with returning players he may be focused on filling a few specific positions AND looking for offense...hence the focus on hitting.  I was a travel coach for many years.   We told our players what we were looking for and then had them go out and show us what they had.   Your coach has his own way of doing things, and he's the boss.   

So, good luck on your last day and show him what you can do with the bat.   Apparently that is where his interests can be found.

@fenwaysouth posted:

I'm 60 years old and I'm still trying to figure out what normal is.  The bottom line is you don't know specifically what the Coach is looking for, and what he needs unless he told you.   If this is a first time coach, I would say his methodology is a little off.   But if he is a returning coach with returning players he may be focused on filling a few specific positions AND looking for offense...hence the focus on hitting.  I was a travel coach for many years.   We told our players what we were looking for and then had them go out and show us what they had.   Your coach has his own way of doing things, and he's the boss.   

So, good luck on your last day and show him what you can do with the bat.   Apparently that is where his interests can be found.

Yeah I’ve been doing good with hitting, but so have the others who are also trying out. I think my bad display on defense may be the separator unfortunately, hence why I want an extra day of fielding.

Your definition of a bad fielding day and the coach’s definition may vary. If you appeared to be fundamentally sound with your mechanics the coach may have seen skills he can work with. If you were firing the ball over receiving fielder’s heads you showed you have an arm.

A lot depends on the quality of competition and team needs. When my son was a senior there were only two spots available. Fifteen of seventeen players returned from a 6A conference championship team. The following year they had to fill ten spots.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.