Skip to main content

any update for options for 2020's heading into a crowded program?  no extra eligibility has been awarded.  is there a limit to red shirt designations?  are programs going to carry more than 35?  anymore clarity on how schools are going to handle the "superclass?"  any anecdotes of what others are doing would be helpful.... 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My 2020 is headed to a mid major.  He recently had a call with his HC.  The HC said that there are returning seniors who won't count against the 35...he is expecting 40.  They did not accept any grad transfers.  Told my son its not what anyone expected but that he has to work to overcome it.  The coach said that in his opinion talented freshmen should not waste a year getting sparse time and could potentially red-shirt.  Of course they'll have the chance to battle for playing time in the Fall.  

My son was due to start a collegiate summer league at the end of May, but that is unlikely to happen.  I think that he is probably going to be better off working out on his own.  We have an extensive home gym set up and a batting cage nearby so with school over he is spending 3-5 hours every day getting better.

Options for ‘20? Get to work!😁

My son understands what he’s heading into so he’s been working to gain more strength and to fine tune his swing. 

A local summer collegiate league is scheduled to start June 15th so hopefully, he can get 28 games worth of ABs against college arms.

Yes, it will be tougher for ‘20s but even w/o the pandemic it was still going to tough. 

Programs are likely going to carry more than 35 - any players who exhausted eligibility and will be coming back will be added to the 35. 

As far as crowding, it won't be too bad. Extra guys and more redshirts, not the end of the world given the circumstances. It will be bad however if 5 guys were expected to be drafted and only one goes. 

If you are in a situation where there are a lot of seniors coming back and the shortened draft might put you in an extremely crowded program (45+ guys coming in/returning) then it might be beneficial to give the coach a call in a few weeks. But don't ask about your spot, ask about a workout program now that summer league likely isn't happening. Ways to stay in shape, throwing program (for pitchers), etc. Then work the -so how many guys are coming back this fall - into the conversation. 

Truth is until the university decides what it's doing for the fall semester there's really no way for the coaches to even know what the deal is for now. I would assume if his scholarship or roster spot was in jeopardy he would've received a call already. I know in our program a few of those guys have already had that conversation already. 

@hshuler posted:

Ten round draft could have eased some of the pressures of expanded rosters but looks like that’s not happening now. 

Not only that, but there isn’t going to be college baseball anywhere until after there has been a college football season, since football revenue funds everything else. If the football season ends up being abbreviated in any way revenue will also reduce proportionally and cutbacks will trickle down to all non-revenue producing sports. Unfortunately I think a scenario like this is very likely, and if it does happen you will then have an unenviable roster combination of more players than ever AND less money to fund the program. 

@K9 posted:

My 2020 is headed to a mid major.  He recently had a call with his HC.  The HC said that there are returning seniors who won't count against the 35...he is expecting 40.  

………………..

Possibly half of those 40 are pitchers in this example.  Programs will have big and active bullpens, and I think you can expect college coaches to have an "extremely quick hook" this year for pitchers.  So, if I'm a pitcher I'm not dilly-dallying with my pitches or trying to paint the corners.   I'm going right after most hitters.  

JMO.

@fenwaysouth posted:

Possibly half of those 40 are pitchers in this example.  Programs will have big and active bullpens, and I think you can expect college coaches to have an "extremely quick hook" this year for pitchers.  So, if I'm a pitcher I'm not dilly-dallying with my pitches or trying to paint the corners.   I'm going right after most hitters.  

JMO.

Yup - half.

@adbono posted:

Not only that, but there isn’t going to be college baseball anywhere until after there has been a college football season, since football revenue funds everything else. If the football season ends up being abbreviated in any way revenue will also reduce proportionally and cutbacks will trickle down to all non-revenue producing sports. Unfortunately I think a scenario like this is very likely, and if it does happen you will then have an unenviable roster combination of more players than ever AND less money to fund the program. 

Many non-P5 schools don't have football - Fullerton, UCI, Gonzaga, Villanova, to name a few, and half of D1 programs lose money on football in a good year.  D3 programs and Ivy don't get any funding from football.  Nor do JUCOs.  So for most of the 1000 or so D1, D2 and D3 programs, football is a non-factor in funding.  Do you foresee any possibility that some level of college ball, if not D1, would proceed even if D1 football is impacted?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.