Skip to main content

Just a quick questions for all you umpires out there. My son, 14, is umping for the local pitching machine league. He said some comments were made that he was calling baserunners out "too early". These situations are when a throw is made to a base (force out) and the fielder on the base catches the ball and he makes the out call "before" the runner makes it to the bag. Technically, should he make the call or wait on the runner.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nothing good can come of making calls too quickly. You need to see that the fielder has control of the ball in a force situation and then make the call. On a routine call where the runner is out by a wide margin, I do wait for the runner to cross the bag, just to keep my timing. At 14, your son may encounter problems based on perrceptions because of his youth. He needs to look like an umpire, and make his calls like an experienced umpire which will help to keep the idiot parents and coaches off his back.
quote:
Originally posted by Saints9:
Just a quick questions for all you umpires out there. My son, 14, is umping for the local pitching machine league. He said some comments were made that he was calling baserunners out "too early". These situations are when a throw is made to a base (force out) and the fielder on the base catches the ball and he makes the out call "before" the runner makes it to the bag. Technically, should he make the call or wait on the runner.

Wait for the play. The play requires the ball, a fielder and a runner. In higher levels calling the play before it happens is considered showing up the player. In the conferences I work, an umpire will get downgraded for this.

All this changes, of course, if the runner gives up and doesn't run to the base.

Umpires in machine pitch?!?!?!?!
Last edited by Jimmy03
Our local LL got the older players to ump the younger games. They had the option of taking what amounted to a full day of class followed by a test. If they passed the test (NOT easy), they made an extra $5 or $10 per game...can't remember which...

Both my boys started umping at coach pitch level and, while my younger one didn't enjoy it too much, my older one ended up doing Majors games at 13 and a few 9U to 11U travel games. At the higher levels, he did it with an adult behind the plate, but he was quite good at it...maybe a future profession when he hangs up his spikes...

Have to say though that he had plenty of respect for the umps PRIOR to being one...he had 3 different coaches who also umped above LL level and they made sure their players had some respect for Blue! Not that I'd allow anything different either though... Big Grin

I had to fill in a few times when the other ump didn't show and I certainly agree that it is not as easy as it looks...that said, I don't always agree with my wife, so you can bet I don't always agree with the ump either...good news for them is they aren't paid to be sure I agree!
quote:
Originally posted by Saints9:

MrUmpSire; said it best: "Nothing good can come of making calls too quickly."
I saw a kid lace "strike 3" into RF once for a DBL. U1 was way to quick on his strike calls, I'm not kidding he had about Str..out of his mouth and his RH about waist high, rip..

If somebodies really "noticing" him being quick, he just might be. Just tell him to make sure "it's still an out", before he calls it.

Ever notice the ML guys ring up the 3rd out on a not close play at 1B. Maybe not, if your watching it on the tube, we're already to the commercial break by the time they signal. So somewhere betwen where he's at now and those guys outta be fine.
Oh and as far as the machine pitch and umps.
I'm back to coaching, and am at this level, there's actually some pretty good opportunities for some calls at this level. I'd recommend it for any kid wanting a taste of umpiring. Surprisingly, there are really quite a few call "opportunities", pretty laid back, I think it'd be a good training opportunity for the young-ns.
quote:
Originally posted by POLOGREEN:
SLOW DOWN see the ball, if behind the plate watch the pitch hear it hit the glove make the call.

No, SEE the ball hit the glove. Follow the ball all the way in and see it hit the glove.

Timing isn't merely a matter of slowing down. Timing is proper use of the eyes. If you use your eyes properly, then make the call (which is mental) and then signal the call (which is physical) you will have correct timing.

The issue is that most beginners THINK they are following the ball to the glove when, in fact, they've made their decision before that.

We now video all beginners at least twice a year. What they see amazes them compared to what they remember.
On calls at first, if the runner peals off, I call it. If he keeps coming, I wait until he crosses the bag, good form. If it is close I watch and wait, then call him out. If it is a banger then wait until he is accross the base and you are sure the F3 held the ball.
My verbals match the action. If he is out by a mile, I just give an out signal at the proper time. If it is a step or step and a half then you will get a verbal with the out signal. If it is a banger then you ae stepping into it and giving it whatever you use for a banger call.
Jimmy 03.... maybe i mis-stated I did not mean to infer NOT watching the ball .... I meant don't make the strike or ball call until after you hear the ball hit the glove. On every pitch I have a habit of opening my eyes a little wider to see the ball leave the pitchers hand and cross the plate area and into the glove.
quote:
Originally posted by POLOGREEN:
Jimmy 03.... maybe i mis-stated I did not mean to infer NOT watching the ball .... I meant don't make the strike or ball call until after you hear the ball hit the glove. On every pitch I have a habit of opening my eyes a little wider to see the ball leave the pitchers hand and cross the plate area and into the glove.

My training is perhaps getting in the way. I went to the academy where we were taught to see the ball into the catcher's mitt. Hearing was never mentioned in the approach to good timing. Seeing was everything. I don't consider "hearing" to be part of timing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.