Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was born in 1973 and have followed baseball with great intent.  I loved his game and always liked it when he was on my favorite show, "The Baseball Bunch".  I have always taught my boys how to play like him and would seek out coaches who shared the same style.  He seemed to have gotten screwed IMO, as there are FAR worse things players have done.  Kids these days don't know a lot about him because he was erased.  It is a shame. May his memory be eternal. 

I feel like his accomplishments need to be recognized at the hall of fame. I agree a lot of people have done worse things (that probably no one imagined in the 70s or 80s), but it would be silly not to have some recognition of the things he did well, while also noting where he screwed up. I don't know if he's IN the hall of fame, but at least noted AT the hall of fame. And at least now, he wouldn't personally benefit from it, so maybe that makes it more palatable?

Pete was "the man" back in the 70's.  The Reds were loaded with talent and he was the guy that made them go.   That guy gave more than 100% on the field, and I think he deserves some respect for that.   KInd of along the same lines as @Iowamom23, I think there needs to be some recognition for his accomplishments because there were  many in his era.  He was among the best of his era and of all time.  No doubt.

There are many rumors about what he did off the field, and it goes way beyond gambling.   I don't know anything about that, and I've not seen facts presented about those crimes.  With his passing, maybe we'll learn more.  Maybe I'll change my opinion of the man, but the baseball player was (again) among the best of all time.

JMO.

Another Parent;

Did you read this book? https://red.fans/quad/threads/...-book-review.274439/

Class D baseball was the lowest level and when Pete reported his 1st words. "where do I hit in the line-up"? The Manager asked "who are you" I am Pete Rose you 2b. The Manager looked at the "scouting report" It marked "NP".

Caroline the 1st Mrs Rose, Pete Jr and I met in a 16 year old tournament in Wisconsin. After the tournament, we discuss a barnstorming team with her "Rolls" and our rental van traveling West to California.

Bob

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.